Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Thirsty

Drives: Inferno Orange SS
GPS Mounting Questions

OK, I've done search after search and I believe I a good understanding of all of the options available to me to mount my GPS unit. The Pro Clip that attaches to the dash and clips under the speaker cover seems to be about he best option out there.

The the Pro-Clip console mount looks like it will be behind the shifter when I'm driving down the road. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I have a Garmin Nuvi 50 that I'll be mounting to the Pro-Clip. If it is visible, that option looks viable.

Another option I'm considering is to remove the plastic trim on the dash and making my own. Here is a picture form a different post. My car has an orange plastic strip instead of the cloth covered on in this picture.

Any ideas on how to remove this strip without breaking it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Foose Speed Black Wheels
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
Phil591

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM
The Pro-Clip console mount is slightly obstructed behind the shifter to the lower left on my Garmin Nuvi 350. It's not tragic though. I also tried the Pro clip vent mount and liked that position much better. Problem is GPS is only occasionally used and I didn't enjoy looking at the empty mount when it wasn't.
Phil591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195723

jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Thirsty

Drives: Inferno Orange SS
Thanks for the input. I started out making a metal bracket and quickly found out that the orange paint on the back of the plastic is easily scratched. I stopped going down that path. I then went simple and used the high quality double sticky back tape to stick a round disk to the outside of the orange strip. I then just used the normal suction cup to mount to the disk.

I then was able to route the wire behind the orange strip and down to the existing power point.

I purchased a new power point and connected into the existing power point wiring. So far it is working good.

I figure I can always remove the round disk and double sticky back tape if I want to remove the GPS unit or even if I want to adjust its location.

Thanks again for your help.
Foose Speed Black Wheels
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
Thanks for the input. I started out making a metal bracket and quickly found out that the orange paint on the back of the plastic is easily scratched. I stopped going down that path. I then went simple and used the high quality double sticky back tape to stick a round disk to the outside of the orange strip. I then just used the normal suction cup to mount to the disk.

I then was able to route the wire behind the orange strip and down to the existing power point.

I purchased a new power point and connected into the existing power point wiring. So far it is working good.

I figure I can always remove the round disk and double sticky back tape if I want to remove the GPS unit or even if I want to adjust its location.

Thanks again for your help.

I have since switched to the silver plastic trim in my car. I just added a piece of dynapad to the back of my bracket and it did not scratch my trim at all. But I can imagine that if you were using the painted trim while making your bracket, you could scratch the trim.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
Sw0rdf1sh

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary - No Stripe
I have the Pro-Clip Center Speaker Mount for a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab and love it.

Extremely secure and keeps the device out of my line of sight for the windshield. I put up a quick youtube of it as well.

2012 45th Anniversary LT2; Stripe Delete; MnP Carbon Fiber Bowtie Inserts; ORACLE Concept SMD Sidemarkers; Oracle LED License Plate Bulbs, ProClip Center Speaker Mounted Samsung Galaxy Tab, Sequential Taillights
Sw0rdf1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Mrvnmartian

Drives: 2010 SGM 1LT (Manual)
I use the suction holder provided by the GPS and stick it to the Radio face. I don't need to use it often so it works great. Just can't see the outside temp or some of the radio station information on the screen, but I really don't need to see what is playing only need to hear it.
Mods: Flowmaster, Solar Gard Window Tint, Front Bowtie from Gary's Customs, Green LED dome & trunk lights from AAC, Painted calipers used G2 paint, Emblem Pro underhood bowtie, Stealth Bulb turn signals.
Mrvnmartian is offline   Reply With Quote