Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 09-27-2018, 01:09 AM   #29
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this, but..... When you purchase a new trailer, be damned sure the retailer or the manufacturer, if you are picking it up from them, has checked and properly tightened the wheel bearings.

Most manufacturers buy axle assemblies in bulk, fully “assembled,” minus the wheel / tire assembly and simply place them in the jig for installation. During the manufacture process, most often if not every time, they grab the spec’ed wheel tire for the trailer being built and slap it on with the appropriate lug nuts...

I picked up a trailer at a retail outlet and pulled it 300 miles to my house to load up a car for long road trip. I lost a tire on the way home... replaced it... left on the road trip and it wasn’t too long, maybe a 1000 miles loaded, and I’ve got three more tires showing bad wear. I drove to a tire shop, used a floor jack and all of the wheel bearings were worn/loose/cooked... I replaced one hub assembly, two bearings and races and properly tightened the last one... 5200 lb axles.

I’ve talked to a number of other folks that have run into the same issue from various vendors/manufacturers, on both open, enclosed, and travel trailers.

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 AM   #30
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Big Tex or iron works makes nice steel open car haulers. Diamond c makes a beautiful open car hauler but the pre paint prep is horrible. Don't ask how I found out SMH.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote