Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #43
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
Y? Shes not driving it? Ive already bought her a car...

Last edited by SilverSS3108; 07-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
SilverSS3108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #44
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHouseIII View Post
ZL1 accolades speak for themselves, compare reviews of the two and see who really wins.
Depends on what you want. The Camaro ZL1 is the better car. But the Shelby is so much more than that and the last built why old Carol himself was still alive. I think any true car guy would want both, and left to choose just one would be better served with the toss of a coin.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
Jimbo62

Drives: Zl1
If you are worried about the price difference, then you are missing the point. At that level a few grand either way should not make the difference. You really have to drive them to see what you like better. I looked for a Shelby and couldnt find one, but I did find a Roush Stage 3 for 56K. I drove it, and with 565 Hp and light weight, it ran like a raped ape. The sound on the exhaust was awesome. What I didn't like was the rear end -- way too hoppy on an unstable road. When I drove the ZL1, it just seemed a lot more balanced -- enough HP to get scary but well controlled and solid.
drive them both - then just pull the trigger....
Jimbo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #46
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo62 View Post
If you are worried about the price difference, then you are missing the point. At that level a few grand either way should not make the difference. You really have to drive them to see what you like better. I looked for a Shelby and couldnt find one, but I did find a Roush Stage 3 for 56K. I drove it, and with 565 Hp and light weight, it ran like a raped ape. The sound on the exhaust was awesome. What I didn't like was the rear end -- way too hoppy on an unstable road. When I drove the ZL1, it just seemed a lot more balanced -- enough HP to get scary but well controlled and solid.
drive them both - then just pull the trigger....

2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #47
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I drove both back to back same day when I got t ZL1. Driving both didn't help as much as I had hoped. I loved both of them. The big things I liked about the Shelby were the power, the rear tail lights, and the seats. The ZL 1 looked better up front, handles better, liked the wheels and tires better, and was $12,000 less with both cars optioned the way I wanted. Also, I couldn't find a Shelby in the colors I wanted within 500 miles.
I love my ZL1, I picked the right car and color for me! Also the ZL1 seems more rare where I live.
RedCamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #48
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
pick which ever one make you happy ! You should ask the same question on the mustang
forum just to see what they say. That would be interesting
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #49
Faster12

Drives: 2012 Black ZL1 #1158
I'm with everybody who makes sense. Get what you want. Our opinions mean nothing to you. We all have individual interests and things that set us off about each car. I will say this though....someone mentioned earlier about the GT500s being more valuable at resale....GT500s have been running every model year for how long now??? The ZL1 is still the more rare of the two seeing as how these are the first 2 model years since 1969. Either way, it's always been your choice dude. Pick a beast and burn rubber!!!
Faster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 AM   #50
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
GM is even discounting 2013 ZL1 now. It's now included in the $1500 cash back offers since July 14. No longer says "excluding ZL1" on the offer.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #51
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
.....I considered both(actually 4 cars) cars before making my final choice. Roll back the clock to a few months before the ZL1 was released, I was looking to sell my 2006 GTO (6M) and was considering an SRT Challenger with the 6.4 Hemi and 6-speed manual (manual only for me, so I won't have to repeat that for the rest of this posting) and the ZL1. I wanted to drive both because of the rumor of a 570 hp supercharged Challenger in the near future...I always plan ahead. I test drove a new Challenger with the 470HP Hemi and was disappointed when I tried to power shift, even with the TC off, there was a torque management program that killed timing between shifts, and no way to tune the 6.4 (at that time). Eliminate the Challenger.
.....Next I drove a 2010 SS (no ZL1 was available yet), but the interior was so ugly (for my tastes, sorry), mainly the dash board, that I could not consider the ZL1 for me. I happen to stop at the Cadillac dealership down the street and saw a CTS V Coupe, and fell in love with the interior and overall looks of the car (probably not for everyone), but since it was an automatic I did not drive it. After some long searching I found a used 6-speed CTS V to test drive ( I had never driven a supercharged manual car before) and I had a couple of friends who had GT500's. They did not power shift because they said you loose boost (in the Shelby) as soon as you push in the clutch. The CTS V has a "no lift shift" feature in the program.....well I was impressed.....now to find a good deal on a new CTS V Coupe.
.....But wait , there's more. Before I can find the best deal on a CTS V....Ford announces a 662 hp GT500...Wow. Back to square 1, so I wait. I won't buy until I can test drive one for myself. My needs are simple, 99% street driving, NO road courses for me, Test and Tune 1/4 mile racing once or twice a month at the local Drag Strip...I love acceleration. Several months pass and I finally get a ride in a 2013 GT500, the owner won't let me drive, but gives me a ride, I will be honest it was not that impressive, he got on it hard, but did not power shift or break traction (we went from about 40-100), but my SRT-10 Ram felt quicker (stock engine, but lightweight tricks, headers and tuning, runs 11.60's @118)....I expected a lot more with 662 hp.
.....So I was back to finding a CTS V (love the interior). Then Evolution Performance releases a video of their GT500 with most of the changes I would do if I bought the GT500 (4.10 gears, lower pulley, headers, catless X-pipe, CobraJet TB, CAI, tune, slicks......and does 9.95 @ 142) incredible....OH the sound of that car! So now I'm back to considering the GT500. I wanted a Base model and recaro seats, stripe delete in Impact Blue, as the SVT Package and the Track Package only add expense and weight to a car that I will only drag race occasionally. Plus the Torsen rear end is NOT ideal for drag racing. I still needed to drive a GT500 before my final decision. Finally found a used one the owner would let me drive, I liked the way it drove, almost lost it when I powered into 2nd gear with the TC on, fishtailed all over the road, but still lots of fun.
.....In the end it came down to what I really needed, I have to pick up the grandkids a few times each week, the CTS V has a better back seat, a better ride, and the best interior. I have the SRT-10 Ram I race, a 2000 Firehawk that LME in Houston is finishing a 433" LS motor for, so I didn't need a 3rd race car. I found a new 2012 CTSV Coupe at orange Coast Cadillac (crystal red, recaro seats, suede pkg, wood trim, moonroof,) with an MSRP of $71,605, and I got a great deal @ $58,500 (probably because of the 6-speed).
.....I'm very happy with my purchase....and just to make things sweeter....last Friday test and tune at Famoso Raceway.....I raced a 2014 Shelby GT500, both cars on street tires, he was pure stock, I have a tune and CAI. The weather was HOT, 98 degrees at 10pm and 3500' DA, so the times were not great ( GT500 12.69@116.53, CTSV 12.63@116.23)....but my .002 reaction time gave me the win by 3 car lengths. Here's the video shot by my fiend who owns a 2011 GT500.

http://youtu.be/SVEwQbBmSGo

Last edited by trainman; 07-16-2013 at 08:21 PM.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #52
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Indents and paragraphs would have made.that much more friendly.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #53
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I considered both(actually 4 cars) cars before making my final choice. Roll back the clock to a few months before the ZL1 was released, I was looking to sell my 2006 GTO (6M) and was considering an SRT Challenger with the 6.4 Hemi and 6-speed manual (manual only for me, so I won't have to repeat that for the rest of this posting) and the ZL1. I wanted to drive both because of the rumor of a 570 hp supercharged Challenger in the near future...I always plan ahead. I test drove a new Challenger with the 470HP Hemi and was disappointed when I tried to power shift, even with the TC off, there was a torque management program that killed timing between shifts, and no way to tune the 6.4 (at that time). Eliminate the Challenger. Next I drove a 2010 SS (no ZL1 was available yet), but the interior was so ugly (for my tastes, sorry), mainly the dash board, that I could not consider the ZL1 for me. I happen to stop at the Cadillac dealership down the street and saw a CTS V Coupe, and fell in love with the interior and overall looks of the car (probably not for everyone), but since it was an automatic I did not drive it. After some long searching I found a used 6-speed CTS V to test drive ( I had never driven a supercharged manual car before) and I had a couple of friends who had GT500's. They did not power shift because they said you loose boost (in the Shelby) as soon as you push in the clutch. The CTS V has a "no lift shift" feature in the program.....well I was impressed.....now to find a good deal on a new CTS V Coupe. But wait , there's more. Before I can find the best deal on a CTS V....Ford announces a 662 hp GT500...Wow. Back to square 1, so I wait. I won't buy until I can test drive one for myself. My needs are simple, 99% street driving, NO road courses for me, Test and Tune 1/4 mile racing once or twice a month at the local Drag Strip...I love acceleration. Several months pass and I finally get a ride in a 2013 GT500, the owner won't let me drive, but gives me a ride, I will be honest it was not that impressive, he got on it hard, but did not power shift or break traction (we went from about 40-100), but my SRT-10 Ram felt quicker (stock engine, but lightweight tricks, headers and tuning, runs 11.60's @118)....I expected a lot more with 662 hp. So I was back to finding a CTS V (love the interior). Then Evolution Performance releases a video of their GT500 with most of the changes I would do if I bought the GT500 (4.10 gears, lower pulley, headers, catless X-pipe, CobraJet TB, CAI, tune, slicks......and does 9.95 @ 142) incredible....OH the sound of that car! So now I'm back to considering the GT500. I wanted a Base model and recaro seats, stripe delete in Impact Blue, as the SVT Package and the Track Package only add expense and weight to a car that I will only drag race occasionally. Plus the Torsen rear end is NOT ideal for drag racing. I still needed to drive a GT500 before my final decision. Finally found a used one the owner would let me drive, I liked the way it drove, almost lost it when I powered into 2nd gear with the TC on, fishtailed all over the road, but still lots of fun. In the end it came down to what I really needed, I have to pick up the grandkids a few times each week, the CTS V has a better back seat, a better ride, and the best interior. I have the SRT-10 Ram I race, a 2000 Firehawk that LME in Houston is finishing a 433" LS motor for, so I didn't need a 3rd race car. I found a new 2012 CTSV Coupe at orange Coast Cadillac (crystal red, recaro seats, suede pkg, wood trim, moonroof,) with an MSRP of $71,605, and I got a great deal @ $58,500 (probably because of the 6-speed). I'm very happy with my purchase....and just to make things sweeter....last Friday test and tune at Famoso Raceway.....I raced a 2014 Shelby GT500, both cars on street tires, he was pure stock, I have a tune and CAI. The weather was HOT, 98 degrees at 10pm and 3500' DA, so the times were not great ( GT500 12.69@116.53, CTSV 12.63@116.23)....but my .002 reaction time gave me the win by 3 car lengths. Here's the video shot by my fiend who owns a 2011 GT500.

http://youtu.be/SVEwQbBmSGo
Have you seen the ZL1 camaro interior? and also did you look at the Challenger interior?
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #54
trainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
Have you seen the ZL1 camaro interior? and also did you look at the Challenger interior?
I drove the Challenger, so of course I saw the interior. And yes, I have seen the ZL1 interior, very much improved over the SS of 2010, but it's those two squarish gauge pods that bother me, sorry it's just not me, plus the backseat and trunk are useless in the Camaro, while the Challenger has a useable backseat and a huge trunk. I think I mentioned I have to pick up the grandkids a few times a week during school months, so the Cadillac was the best choice. Last month in cooler weather I ran 12.24 @ 118.91 in the Cadillac (on street tires) so the power is there with just a CAI and a tune. Also last time out at the test and tune I also ran a new 2013 ZL1 (6M) which was pure stock, and beat him pretty good , it was at 11pm (DA 3000+) I ran 12.706 @ 115.61 (still warm from the GT500 race) and the ZL1 ran 13.043 @ 111.21. I'm sure that with drag radials and cooler weather I will be deep into the 11's with the Cadillac, I'm happy.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #55
trainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Indents and paragraphs would have made.that much more friendly.
Fixed it as best I could, sorry, and I agree with you, I tried to indent but my computer won't , so I used the periods to indent.....
Old 07-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #56
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Easy. You want cornering, comfort, and looks, go ZL1. You want cheaper, faster 1/4, more power, cheaper parts, and better resale, buy GT500. Anything with Shelby will hold value.