Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Its not the HP numbers I am looking at, its the higher revs with the LS7. Higher revs mean better cornering times which is what wins road races.

Also if my memory serves me correctly the LS7 swap in the Camaro is fairly simple (There is a video of the swap being done on the SEMA COPO Camaro).

While we could bring the Numbers of the LS3 up to match the LS7, what would be that cost?
Absolutely, I'd take the higher revs! While HP and TQ are important, I think you need the revs to complete the package.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yeah Baby!!!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #17
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Its not the HP numbers I am looking at, its the higher revs with the LS7. Higher revs mean better cornering times which is what wins road races.

Also if my memory serves me correctly the LS7 swap in the Camaro is fairly simple (There is a video of the swap being done on the SEMA COPO Camaro).

While we could bring the Numbers of the LS3 up to match the LS7, what would be that cost?
Higher revs means better cornering times? Depending on how the power is spread out you can possibly avoid a gear shift, but revs make you faster through the corners?

Swapping the LS7 into the Camaro does not look all that bad. But will someone do it for you for less than $2,000? I am not sure, I guessed at that number. You do have to address the dry sump somehow.

With a better valve train you can raise the rev limit of the LS3 from 6,600 to 6,800 but no word on long term durability.

Assuming a cammed and bolton LS3 can easily get to 450 RWP (and some more) the difference versus the LS7 is about 50 to 75 RWHP. See this article where a cammed LS7 Camaro with LTs pushed 502 RWHP. That 502 seems a little low to me.

The LS7 is superior to the LS3 agreed. But worth the extra $10K+ as a swap?
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Absolutely, I'd take the higher revs! While HP and TQ are important, I think you need the revs to complete the package.
Clyde
As a swap for $10K+? A centrifugal supercharger on an LS3 can wipe out an LS7 for less money while adding only about 75 pounds with very little heat soak. Who needs revs with 600 RWHP?

But of course FI is not in the spirit of Z28.

I think 400-450 LS3 RWHP is plenty for a street car with weekend track use in mind. Of course I may be in the minority.