Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-01-2018, 08:48 AM   #1
Slvr-camaro15

Drives: 2017 zl1 ,2010 SS /RS L99
Need some advice on cam install !!

Hey all good morning everyone , I’m a long island native and I know there is quite a few of you brethren out here local that have been on these forums for quite some time . So I’m considering a cam install for the 2010SS L99 . Leaning towards the GPI SS3 vvt cam package with the 3400-3600 stall converter . I was looking to see if anyone can point in the right direction with a couple of my questions .
1. Is this an effective / worthwhile cam for a DAILY ?
2 . Any recommendation on shops that will do the install ?
3 . ESTIMATE of labor for the complete install ( tune prices will be additional I realize that ) .
If anyone has any experience with a good shop that’s done an install on theirs pls reach out to me . I’d sincerely appreciate any and all feedback .

Thank you in Advance.
Sam
Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
20152SS1Le

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
I can't answer question 1 and 3, but I recommend jtmmotorsports in deer park for the install. They seem to be a good shop that's local. I had them do my headers, and springs/shocks and in the spring I will have them install my whipple and tune it.
Elite engineering catch can
Texas Speed 1 7/8 long tube headers and Cats
GPI Rod mod and ported intake
Ported throttle body
JRE tune
20152SS1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
L99problems

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss
I honestly cant say if the SS3 is a good daily cam or not but I can definitely say the SS1 is an excellent daily cam and even with the stock converter. I was told the powerband of the SS1 was designed for street use and the SS3 was more track oriented. Although I have no doubt it can de daily driven. Either way my SS1 gained me 110+ WHP over stock with headers and intake. Completely different car..

I did the install myself and I probably spent around $2k in parts and an additional $5-600 in tuning. So I'd say you'd be looking at around $4-5k roughly for parts, labor, and tuning.

You can't go wrong with GPI!
L99problems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Slvr-camaro15

Quote:
Originally Posted by camar0ss View Post
I honestly cant say if the SS3 is a good daily cam or not but I can definitely say the SS1 is an excellent daily cam and even with the stock converter. I was told the powerband of the SS1 was designed for street use and the SS3 was more track oriented. Although I have no doubt it can de daily driven. Either way my SS1 gained me 110+ WHP over stock with headers and intake. Completely different car..

I did the install myself and I probably spent around $2k in parts and an additional $5-600 in tuning. So I'd say you'd be looking at around $4-5k roughly for parts, labor, and tuning.

You can't go wrong with GPI!
Wow those are some serious gains !! U have a automatic or manual ?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #5
L99problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr-camaro15 View Post
Wow those are some serious gains !! U have a automatic or manual ?
I have an L99 automatic with the GPI VVT SS1 cam and stock converter. The SS1 is a great cam, serious power gains from idle to redline and still drives like stock!
Old 10-03-2018, 04:34 AM   #6
Slvr-camaro15

Quote:
I have an L99 automatic with the GPI VVT SS1 cam and stock converter. The SS1 is a great cam, serious power gains from idle to redline and still drives like stock!
Now has anyone heard anything about a lunati cam ?also if anyone that has the ss1 cam can post a video pls . I just wanted to get a idea of how it sounds
Old 10-03-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
Following along
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Hey all good morning everyone , I’m a long island native and I know there is quite a few of you brethren out here local that have been on these forums for quite some time . So I’m considering a cam install for the 2010SS L99 . Leaning towards the GPI SS3 vvt cam package with the 3400-3600 stall converter . I was looking to see if anyone can point in the right direction with a couple of my questions .
1. Is this an effective / worthwhile cam for a DAILY ?
2 . Any recommendation on shops that will do the install ?
3 . ESTIMATE of labor for the complete install ( tune prices will be additional I realize that ) .
If anyone has any experience with a good shop that’s done an install on theirs pls reach out to me . I’d sincerely appreciate any and all feedback .

Thank you in Advance.
Sam
Hey Sam - you can't go wrong with the guys at GPI. They've got the best performing stuff, and the best customer service. Don't hesitate to give them a call do discuss what your goals are - they can help steer you into the right stuff to get there.

Stall sounds good for an SS3 - definitely get GPI to weigh in on that too. Sometimes it doesn't hurt much to add some additional stall speed (you've still got lockup for daily driving).

Whether or not a cam is suitable for daily driving is really up to the one doing the driving. You will lose fuel economy and a little low (sub 2000) rpm performance with a cam like the SS3. With an automatic and a VVT cam this is even less of a concern, because you have VVT and the converter to help make up torque when needed, and absorb some of the driveability issues you'd notice with a manual (parking lot bucking, surging and fishbiting at lower rpms, etc).

I have an SS3 in my manual car and I'm happy with it. I don't daily drive the car (work from home!!!) but I do put several thousand miles on it a year - I don't find it problematic at all. It doesn't get the fuel economy it used to - but I wouldn't expect it to.

You should be strongly considering a set of 3.91 gears for the rear end - it will really compliment that cam's desire to rev. These are heavy, heavy cars and can use all the mechanical advantage you can give them.

Install prices are going to vary significantly, but I would think you can expect to spend at least $1500-$2500. The L99 requires a lot more work, you have to do the DOD delete stuff, which necessitates pulling the heads. Figure another ~$500 for the tuning.

I really like New Age Hot-Rods in New York Mills, NY (essentially Utica, NY). They are not the cheapest, and they are not the fastest, but their attention to detail is second to none in both their mechanical work and their tuning. That's where I had my cam installed - and I was thrilled with the quality of the work. We're talking witness marks on every nut and bolt, lots of photo documentation, etc. It's a bit of a long haul for you though. Race Proven Motorsports may be a little closer (Delaware), they also do nice work and turn their projects around quickly. I'm sure there are other shops too, I'm just not as familiar with downstate. Slowhawk in MA is also very good. I would say that a bit of a drive is time well spent when selecting a shop to do good work for you.

Hope that helps some. If you're ever upstate, hit me up and we'll have to meet for a bite to eat or something!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
L99problems

Here is a cold start with the SS1. About the 1:35 mark is when it starts to idle down
Old 10-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Slvr-camaro15

Quote:

Here is a cold start with the SS1. About the 1:35 mark is when it starts to idle down
Ooooohhh ❤️ That sounds ❤️❤️!!! How is the drive with the cam ? Any stalling issues ?
Old 10-03-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
L99problems

[QUOTE=Slvr-camaro15;10328185]Ooooohhh ❤️ That sounds ❤️❤️!!! How is the drive with the cam ? Any stalling issues ?[/QUO

The car drives very close to stock, no issues at all. A lot of how the car drives will depend on your tuner. I would recommend having GPI remote tune your car and they will get it spot on. I daily drive my car every single day. It's at 99k miles and it's my only vehicle. Zero issues.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
Slvr-camaro15

[QUOTE=camar0ss;10328234]
Quote:
Ooooohhh ❤️ That sounds ❤️❤️!!! How is the drive with the cam ? Any stalling issues ?[/QUO

The car drives very close to stock, no issues at all. A lot of how the car drives will depend on your tuner. I would recommend having GPI remote tune your car and they will get it spot on. I daily drive my car every single day. It's at 99k miles and it's my only vehicle. Zero issues.
Love it !! Thank you for the feed back !!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Some SS3 noise...

GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #14
Slvr-camaro15

Love it !! Look at those mean rides !!!