Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-12-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
Seat, Harness, and Anchor Problem

OK, so I'm looking for a solution to my problem, and it may or may not exist, so I need your guys help to figure it out. I'm too scrawny for the bolstering on the stock Camaro seats to do me any good, and I'm looking at ways to fix that. Whatever I do, I'd like to be able to use on a daily basis, because it will come in handy on back roads as well as the autocross and at the track. I've been looking at swapping to a factory Recaro seat to add bolstering, but keep the factory airbag, which I'd like to do unless I switch to a harness. If I go to a harness, I want to go to a 5 or six point, because anywhere other than autocross where I need the harness to do its job, I don't want to risk submarining. If I do change to a harness, and it's a 5 or 6 point, I'll need to either change seats, or modify mine. Lastly, and most difficultly, whatever I change to, I need to replicate on the passenger side, so instructors can ride with me, and I value my passengers' lives, but there's one extra condition. My wonderful girlfriend, who generally approves, or at least understands the modifying decisions I make, hates the bolstering of most sport seats, and may actually castrate me if I get rid of the seat heater on her side.

So in summary, I'd either like a better seat with an airbag, or a way to incorporate a 5 or 6 point system into a heated seat. I'd prefer to not resort to the whole looping under the seatback thing, and do it properly. I appreciate you looking!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
This is one of those cases where you either go all in, or not do it. A six point will require harness bar, and a proper seat. An improper setup can crush your bones, or even worse, your balls.

I do have a full 6-point setup on my Miata, and doing the same on Camaro would render rear seats useless, which is not acceptable.

I'm personally planning to just use Scrotch 4-point ASM. ASM stands for anti-submarine. One side of the shoulder belts is double-stitched, and those stitches pop up during a serious accident, letting your body fold on that side before submarining can occur. I think this is a good compromise, and can be easily installed on both sides without any extensive modification. Keep in mind, you should still use a HANS device. If the accident is not serious enough to pop the stitches, your neck could take more than its fair share of the load without a HANS device.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Burt
Cone Killer

The 4 to three point sounds like a good compromise, unless you're wearing the Hans device, and things get bad enough that you pop the weak side of the harness. Then you've tethered one side of your neck, but not the other, so you're effectively putting torque on your neck. I wouldn't mind getting a better seat, like the factory Recaro for me, and swapping the harness bar in and out for autocross and the track, I'm just running into the issue of integrating the 5th (or 6th) points. I wouldn't mind bastardizing the seat bottom, but that would sacrifice the heaters, I figure, and I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too here
Old 02-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I have a 6 pt set up and it is just perfect. It's out of the way til i need it. Instal a tank plate, it's completely bolt in.
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Burt
Cone Killer

I've been thinking about that, because that was the only way I could really think to mount a six-point harness without the hole in the seat, but I coming across warnings like this:

And instructions to mount like this:

I see where the harness makers are coming from, which is the sticking point for me. I hadn't considered a harness until it was recently suggested to me, and it complicates things. If I'm going to use a harness at all, I want it to be a six point, and to mount the two anti-submarine straps correctly. So far as I can tell, I either need to 1) get holes cut and sealed in the seat bottom, or 2) get different seats.

I'm trying to do this without losing the comfort/convenience of a the factory heated/power seat, at least on the passenger side. I don't really have a problem with getting rid of the rear seats, but I'd like to keep the fronts as nice as possible for whenever I'm subjecting my passenger to long rides, like the nine hour haul I'll be making to the beach in a few months, or on cold days. My girlfriend runs cold (lower than average body temp, jackets on warm days, she's looking into it as a legitimate medical issue right now, actually) and I'm usually very warm, so her having a seat heater allows us both to be comfortable. If this were my track car, then no question, the back seats would be gone, and we'd both be in fixed buckets with 6-points, at least a four point cage, and HANS devices. Unfortunately, since the car goes pretty well everywhere I do, and therefore she does, so that's not such an easy choice.

As much as I like the idea, it kind of looks like I should drop the harness idea and stick with an OEM Recaro for me and factory 3-points until I have a second car to dd.