Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #253
seattlecamaroboy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
You da man Scott I'm gonna print this out and take it with me to the dealer when we do my build. I'll lay it on the desk and every time we add an option I'll tap on the piece of paper and say to the salesperson....read it...read it!

It is really great to have you chime in on the price of the SS as there have been a lot of skeptics, myself included about a price under 40K.
No offense, but if you were "skeptical" at ALL about a price under $40K, you were pretty stupid to begin with. How dumb would you have to be to believe that a Pony car competitor would be sold at the price of a Corvette? Doesn't say much about your intelligence. The base price of the SS is going to under $30k, not even mentioning $40k, and if you're off by a factor of 33% you don't know a lot about cars.
seattlecamaroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #254
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
The brakes look awesome on the SS. I wonder if there's any chance you'll be able to opt for performance brakes through GM's performance parts designed especially for the 5thgen?
Old 08-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #255
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
That lower valance is beginning to grow on me, Slowly.

My Camaro will continue to have a big bowtie on the front and It will wear it proudly!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #256
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
I want some SS pics in different factory colors with optional stripes. I am having the hardest time picking a color that i want.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:52 PM   #257
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If you want a good look at Camaro pricing look at the prices for the Pontiac G8, G8 GT abd G8 GXP. Use the spread, not the base price of the vehicle.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:07 PM   #258
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
im pretty sure it was a couple of weeks ago.
but... you mean it was close enough (relatively) for me to peek as well? well friggity freakin aye >_<
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #259
FirstCamaro

Drives: Looking
Question of Side-by-side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond Limits View Post
A couple of things... you are actually comparing an artist's rendition against an actual photo. Again, at the risk of repeating myself... check out this picture from the salesperson reference guide (I included it below so there is no confusion here). Now look at the picture of the two camaro's facing each other on the bottom there. One is the production LT/RS and the other is the concept. Look real close at the two. They are about as close to each other as you can get when making the transition from a anything goes concept to a street legal production vehicle that you can own. Where do you see all of these differences about the hood being longer, the curves of the sheet metal being so dramatically different? Don't compare two different photo's and think they are equal. The only real way to compare them is in a photo like this where they are actually side by side or in person. Any other way your perception will be distorted because the pictures are not taken at the same angle, with the same lens, with the same lighting, the same distance from the camera, all of which play a significant role on how the subject of the picture appears in the image.

Thanks for the "color" side by side. That does help out as I just have an earlier B/W. Now here is a couple questions for my build list. On waiting list for a SS and looking at possible SS/RS, but still need to understand all my options. I am going to take it the one on the left is the LT/RS and the right is the concept.
First, to get the hood vent that it part of the SS package?
Second, are the bottom halo/fog lights the same? Or, just a shadow issue.
Third, what would it take to get the slits by the rear tire? Just a good custom shop? Any chance of getting it put into the car from the factory?
Fourth, that nose on the concept still looks longer. Maybe its that fender turn signal messing it up.
Finally, I played a game with some co-workers to see what is different and the concept stood out to each even though hard for them to figure out why. A couple comments were that the one on the right (concept) looks like a sports car and the left (production) looked like a coupe. Narrowed that idea down to the height of the car. Amazing a difference one inch can make. Have to hate those safety regulations.
Thank you again for your insights into this new car.
FirstCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #260
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCamaro View Post
Thanks for the "color" side by side. That does help out as I just have an earlier B/W. Now here is a couple questions for my build list. On waiting list for a SS and looking at possible SS/RS, but still need to understand all my options. I am going to take it the one on the left is the LT/RS and the right is the concept.
First, to get the hood vent that it part of the SS package?
Second, are the bottom halo/fog lights the same? Or, just a shadow issue.
Third, what would it take to get the slits by the rear tire? Just a good custom shop? Any chance of getting it put into the car from the factory?
Fourth, that nose on the concept still looks longer. Maybe its that fender turn signal messing it up.
Finally, I played a game with some co-workers to see what is different and the concept stood out to each even though hard for them to figure out why. A couple comments were that the one on the right (concept) looks like a sports car and the left (production) looked like a coupe. Narrowed that idea down to the height of the car. Amazing a difference one inch can make. Have to hate those safety regulations.
Thank you again for your insights into this new car.
Yes the one on the left is the V6 and the one on the right is the concept.

The slit in the hood comes with the V8 SS package.

Not sure about the halo lights. I believe they are identical but someone else can chime in if they are 100% sure.

Slits by the rear tire won't come from the factory. Custom shop could do it.

Not sure about the hood. It does look a little longer.

As far as the concept looking like a sports car and the production car looking like a coupe, I guarantee that it's because of the stance/wheel size. If you get some coilovers and drop it down a bit, and throw some 21s or 22s like the concept, it will look identical to the concept. The V6 in that picture just sits a bit higher and has smaller wheels (more space in the wheel wells).
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #261
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
To those who think the production SS looks too different from the concept, and I know it's already been said by Scott and many others, but regulations required several changes. Personally, I think the Camaro team did an AMAZING job considering what had to be done to make it street legal.

On top of that, I don't know who here has actually sat in, much less driven, the concept, but I'm sure in all of their testing and designing, the Camaro team made some changes simply for day-to-day driving reasons. I personally have never seen the concept in person, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pain to drive as a daily driver (blind spots and what not). I'm sure Scott could comment, if he hasn't already. Regardless, everyone here has to be able to at least admit that this Camaro is quite possibly the closest any company has ever come to making the production car look like the concept...
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #262
FirstCamaro

Drives: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
No offense, but if you were "skeptical" at ALL about a price under $40K, you were pretty stupid to begin with. How dumb would you have to be to believe that a Pony car competitor would be sold at the price of a Corvette? Doesn't say much about your intelligence. The base price of the SS is going to under $30k, not even mentioning $40k, and if you're off by a factor of 33% you don't know a lot about cars.
Wow, maybe I should buy my car where you live? You can't even get a couple year old used Corvette for $40K here. Want a new Corvette try $65K - $85K. As for a Pony Car in a GT $30K - $38 for a 2009 depending on options. If this can come in to beat the Pony in price all will look good. Even better if it can beat the Dodge Challenger prices.

Oh, and we have a "9%" sales tax!!
FirstCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #263
thirteen20z28

Drives: '98 GTP, '94 Caprice 9C1
OK first post, I just wanted to comment on a couple things...

First, has anybody considered the FUNCTIONALITY of the SS front bumper (like, maybe, aero balance for track days, or when you're burnin' around the 'Ring)? I doubt that front lip splitter is there just to differentiate between the V6 and SS.

Second, I agree with the opinion that GM did a VERY good job with keeping the production car so close to the concept, and I believe this opinion will be more widespread once people see it in person.

And speaking of seeing it in person, I may just have to roll out of bed and drive the 20min to the Speedway when they debut next month Ha ha just wanted to rub it in...
thirteen20z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #264
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Big Welcome thirteen20z28!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #265
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If you want a good look at Camaro pricing look at the prices for the Pontiac G8, G8 GT abd G8 GXP. Use the spread, not the base price of the vehicle.
Which is by no means a bad thing. The G8 was always the car I consider should be the one to look at as far as pricing reference. It's the same chassis and it has an independent rear suspension as well. The Camaro is only a shy bit more powerful than the G8 GT, so it shouldn't be THAT bad. Especially not this 40K crap everyone is spewing. Jeez, just get a lightly used Vette'.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #266
onlynotyou_ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS

Awsome! The SS is closer to the concept model than the RS
onlynotyou_ss is offline   Reply With Quote