Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
strange alarm w/ tps

Ok i was driving home and i drove past a construction site. Then the low tpms alarm went off w/ low tire pressure in the rear. i pulled over and saw a small nail in middle of rear d/s tire. Now i have road hazzard warranty but i figured i can just patch it up and be on my way.
So i drive to a really trust worthy tire repair and they inspect and tell me the nail didnt go into the tire. So now im puzzled why would the tps go off. I gave him a tip and go home and reboot the tpms as per manual and go around the whole car waiting for the honks. i put in 36 psi cold. Now i will see if it hold the air.
Did this happen to anyone here.?????
thanks for reading
joey
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
my shop has seen 100fold increase in tpms issues this last week alone,it was the first week the temps dropped at night,sensors see a low air pressure when cold and turn on the light,so really what started as low pressure ends up almost normal once you drive on it for a few miles,what weve found is most people dont have there pressure checked reg. so they get down to 32 psi warm and park at night it gets cold and bam its reading 28 psi in the morning and the light comes on,check the pressure when tires are warmed up and never go above the factory settings people.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
The factory settings are not "limits" but rather "in the middle" choices usually for comfort and ride. You won't get your best gas mileage with the factory tire pressure settings. The tires can handle more than the factory settings. You can safely go 4-6 lbs above the recommended factory settings which will increase your gas mileage, give the car more of a feeling of being in contact with the ground.

I usually drive around until the tire temps are up to normal then check the pressures and set them warm. I know some people say set them cold but I don't drive around on them cold; they are always warm once you start driving so that's the way I set them. I have mine set at 40 lbs per tire and it's usually good for 1-2 mpg better gas mileage. The steering feels more precise too.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The factory settings are not "limits" but rather "in the middle" choices usually for comfort and ride. You won't get your best gas mileage with the factory tire pressure settings. The tires can handle more than the factory settings. You can safely go 4-6 lbs above the recommended factory settings which will increase your gas mileage, give the car more of a feeling of being in contact with the ground.

I usually drive around until the tire temps are up to normal then check the pressures and set them warm. I know some people say set them cold but I don't drive around on them cold; they are always warm once you start driving so that's the way I set them. I have mine set at 40 lbs per tire and it's usually good for 1-2 mpg better gas mileage. The steering feels more precise too.
Good to know thanks
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Does this make the tire wear different, Like more air the center of the tire is more prone to wear faster.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Tyrell Industries

Drives: IOM 2SS
Use nitrogen in your tires and you wont have to worry about temperature variation.
Tyrell Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrell Industries View Post
Use nitrogen in your tires and you wont have to worry about temperature variation.
I've got nitrogen in mine, and I've still noticed a variation. A lot LESS of a variation than with just air, but still a variation (after all, nitrogen is still a gas and WILL still expand and contract with temperature changes).
Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Over inflation may result in premature tire wear in the center tread area. At $400 a pop its best to use the recommended inflation pressure.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote