Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
From The Future
needs gas money

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM 6M
Thumbs up Remote tuning via e-mail and datalogs

I felt the need to post a new thread on this topic based on the good experience I recently had with Ted Jannetty at JRE.

I have had three JRE tunes in my car in the past using the SCT 3400 series tuner. The first was the initial tune with a Vararam intake and the other two came as I added LT headers and 3.91 gears.

I got a cam installed about a year ago and the car was tuned with EFI Live at that point. I couldn't do the cam install myself and it would need to be tuned immediately afterward, so I opted for the nearest shop with a good rep that could do it all.

The car was more powerful and faster after the cam but it was harder to drive. I wrote that off to the differences between a cammed car and a stock one and I altered my driving style to compensate. I was happy with the car at that point.

About three weeks ago I replaced my stock clutch with an aftermarket assembly that was much lighter, the difference was 22.35 pounds on the scale.

Once I started driving around town, I discovered the car didn't like that light flywheel very much and would need to be retuned. The idle had changed and the rpm's would flare up and down when the car was moving in neutral or with the clutch pushed in. I would have gone insane trying to deal with it every day.

I talked to Ted since I still had my old SCT tuner (a 3416v model) and he told me I could just remarry it to my ECU even though I had an EFI Live tune in there currently. I did that and sent the current cam tune to him as the stock one and he went to work on it.

He found seven issues with that tune and fixed them all. He then sent me a new tune and requested datalogs so he could tweak it. After four sets of datalogs and updated tunes, he has this new tune nailed. Not only did he correct for the lightweight flywheel but the car runs better than it ever did before.

That light clutch assembly will definitely affect your car if you add it and it is difficult to tune for. Ted really worked on this one and I doubt he could have gotten it any better if I had been at his shop in person. I can't say enough good things about the job he does and how willing he is to work with you to perfect your car. If it is within his power to make it work, he will do so. As long as you can send in good datalogs he can make the changes that you want.

So my experience is not to be leery of remote tuning via e-mail. There are tuners out there who can get it right for your particular combination of parts. My cam is not one that JRE sells and I don't know if the specs on it are even close to any of his cams, yet he had no problems with it.
From The Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I hear positive experiences about Ted over and over and over. Must be getting things done right. Glad to hear things are working great with your car.

How's that lightweight clutch/flywheel to drive?

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
JRE FTW
revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
From The Future
needs gas money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
How's that lightweight clutch/flywheel to drive?

John B.
I think it is pretty good, I just never thought I might need a retune. The revs still flare by a few hundred rpm's if you coast in neutral but they will settle back into normal idle as soon as the speedometer hits zero.

I like the light flywheel but you do have to relearn how to drive the car after it is installed. It takes more revs to start off from zero mph, even on flat ground. Starting on a hill takes more concentration as well. The whole combo was 22.35 pounds lighter, so I guess i should have expected it would be different.

The engine revs much faster. If you blip the throttle for downshifts there is no hesitation like there was with the old clutch setup. You need less throttle for a "blip" as well. It doesn't rev quite as quickly as a 4-cyl but it revs a lot quicker than most american V8's. I have not driven a 5.0 Coyote yet, I would like to see how that compares.

JRE's tuning really made it better though, he tamed the weird flywheel behavior as well as he possibly could.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Future View Post
I felt the need to post a new thread on this topic based on the good experience I recently had with Ted Jannetty at JRE.

I have had three JRE tunes in my car in the past using the SCT 3400 series tuner. The first was the initial tune with a Vararam intake and the other two came as I added LT headers and 3.91 gears.

I got a cam installed about a year ago and the car was tuned with EFI Live at that point. I couldn't do the cam install myself and it would need to be tuned immediately afterward, so I opted for the nearest shop with a good rep that could do it all.

The car was more powerful and faster after the cam but it was harder to drive. I wrote that off to the differences between a cammed car and a stock one and I altered my driving style to compensate. I was happy with the car at that point.

About three weeks ago I replaced my stock clutch with an aftermarket assembly that was much lighter, the difference was 22.35 pounds on the scale.

Once I started driving around town, I discovered the car didn't like that light flywheel very much and would need to be retuned. The idle had changed and the rpm's would flare up and down when the car was moving in neutral or with the clutch pushed in. I would have gone insane trying to deal with it every day.

I talked to Ted since I still had my old SCT tuner (a 3416v model) and he told me I could just remarry it to my ECU even though I had an EFI Live tune in there currently. I did that and sent the current cam tune to him as the stock one and he went to work on it.

He found seven issues with that tune and fixed them all. He then sent me a new tune and requested datalogs so he could tweak it. After four sets of datalogs and updated tunes, he has this new tune nailed. Not only did he correct for the lightweight flywheel but the car runs better than it ever did before.

That light clutch assembly will definitely affect your car if you add it and it is difficult to tune for. Ted really worked on this one and I doubt he could have gotten it any better if I had been at his shop in person. I can't say enough good things about the job he does and how willing he is to work with you to perfect your car. If it is within his power to make it work, he will do so. As long as you can send in good datalogs he can make the changes that you want.

So my experience is not to be leery of remote tuning via e-mail. There are tuners out there who can get it right for your particular combination of parts. My cam is not one that JRE sells and I don't know if the specs on it are even close to any of his cams, yet he had no problems with it.
Thank You for the Feed back it was a Pleasure working with you on this project, You gave me exactly what I asked for and made my job Easy.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
ZOOK

Drives: 2010 2ss 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Future View Post
I think it is pretty good, I just never thought I might need a retune. The revs still flare by a few hundred rpm's if you coast in neutral but they will settle back into normal idle as soon as the speedometer hits zero.

I like the light flywheel but you do have to relearn how to drive the car after it is installed. It takes more revs to start off from zero mph, even on flat ground. Starting on a hill takes more concentration as well. The whole combo was 22.35 pounds lighter, so I guess i should have expected it would be different.

The engine revs much faster. If you blip the throttle for downshifts there is no hesitation like there was with the old clutch setup. You need less throttle for a "blip" as well. It doesn't rev quite as quickly as a 4-cyl but it revs a lot quicker than most american V8's. I have not driven a 5.0 Coyote yet, I would like to see how that compares.

JRE's tuning really made it better though, he tamed the weird flywheel behavior as well as he possibly could.

Just reading your thread and was wondering what clutch you put in and kind of hp you are running . i'm in the market for a clutch ?
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
From The Future
needs gas money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
Just reading your thread and was wondering what clutch you put in and kind of hp you are running . i'm in the market for a clutch ?

I just saw this today, I guess I should subscribe to the thread in case somebody asked a question. Work really gets in the way of my internet surfing.

I got a Spec Stage 2 clutch with their aluminum flywheel. I also got an upgrade to their aluminum pressure plate as well, it is supposedly 5 lbs lighter than the steel one. Flywheel is a claimed 12.4 lbs.

I didnt weight the components individually but we did weigh them as an assembly. Pics are below, weight savings was 22.35 pounds.

It may have been a little too light, hence the need to retune the car. I am happy with it now though. Pedal is maybe 20% stiffer than stock, clutch is rated for 645 ft-lbs of torque. Steel friction surfaces are bolted to the aluminum so the clutch is rebuildable.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOK View Post
We really Like the Centerforce DYAD we used it in a couple supercharged Cam combos and they guys Love them and they have had no issues with over a year in service.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote