Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #421
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556hp View Post
The magnetic ride control is absolutely fantastic on my CTS-V....but the caveat:

Changing ride height becomes a little tricky. Several have had issues when changing the height, however it might have been a supplier issue. I didn't follow their posts that closely on the other forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
That's what I've been a little worried about, however, from the images, it almost looks like Z28 has been lowered, maybe an inch, maybe a touch more, to my eye. Still - I worry about this point.

That's my main concern with this system, as I don't believe there's a way to lower the vehicle without compromising the fantastically engineered MRC system. And while I agree that the stance is better than the SS based on the available spyshots, it's not what I'd consider perfect from an aesthetics point of view.

I doubt I'll track this car much, or at all, so getting the stance just how I like is very very important to me. I planned to go with a coilover setup to achieve this, but the rumored MRC really has me second guessing what would be best. For a street machine, I'd think it would be like taking a step backwards to go with coilovers over MRC. However, getting that stance just right is very important to me so I'm not sure what I'd do.

Perhaps the MRC will be an option and then I'd have the choice of saving money with a base suspension model and upgrading to coilovers to achieve my goal? Even if that's the case, it's going to be a very tough decision.
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #422
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
I haven't followed the Corvette very closely the last couple of years, but is the magnetic ride control the preferred suspension on the Vette now? I see it is standard on the ZR1 and there doesn't seem to be a Z51 package anymore.

It seems to have come a long way in the last few years.

Rick
The Z51 package has been amplified and transformed, if you will into what's now the Grand Sport Corvette. It has all the same Z51 goodies as the original package, along with a Z06 body kit, Z06 brakes, and some other improvements over the base car.

However,
Quote:
I believe Carbon Z06 has it, and that's it, as far as C6 goes.
The ZR1, Carbon Z06 both have Magnetic Selection Ride Control (MSRC) as standard equipment, and it's optional on the base Corvette for ~$2000.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
That's my main concern with this system, as I don't believe there's a way to lower the vehicle without compromising the fantastically engineered MRC system. And while I agree that the stance is better than the SS based on the available spyshots, it's not what I'd consider perfect from an aesthetics point of view.

I doubt I'll track this car much, or at all, so getting the stance just how I like is very very important to me. I planned to go with a coilover setup to achieve this, but the rumored MRC really has me second guessing what would be best. For a street machine, I'd think it would be like taking a step backwards to go with coilovers over MRC. However, getting that stance just right is very important to me so I'm not sure what I'd do.

Perhaps the MRC will be an option and then I'd have the choice of saving money with a base suspension model and upgrading to coilovers to achieve my goal? Even if that's the case, it's going to be a very tough decision.
I doubt it'll be an option given the extensive engineering involved with dialing in the system JUST right for each vehicle application. They wouldn't do all that work and then make it an option on a low-volume model...in my opinion, anyways. I would take a look at some CTS-V forums to see what those guys have done as far as lowering the car. The system only really replaces the traditional shock absorbers...I think there's some play in there.

Pete from Pedders has given some excellent insight into the benefits and disadvantages of the MagneRide system (Its 'real' name since it's a system used on many different cars, including Ferraris). The cliff-notes version is that MSRC is phenominal on all but the most extreme racer levels of driving. When you're truly racing a car with MSRC, it can overheat. Coilovers will not take away anything from the handling of the car if you swapped...but the vehicle will be more predictable in that a computer is not micro-managing the suspension stiffness every 1/1000 of a second.

Really, it's a matter of cost. On top of a Z28, do you want to spend a couple thousand more on coilovers to lower the car another inch or so?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #423
RickD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Pete from Pedders has given some excellent insight into the benefits and disadvantages of the MagneRide system (Its 'real' name since it's a system used on many different cars, including Ferraris). The cliff-notes version is that MSRC is phenominal on all but the most extreme racer levels of driving. When you're truly racing a car with MSRC, it can overheat. Coilovers will not take away anything from the handling of the car if you swapped...but the vehicle will be more predictable in that a computer is not micro-managing the suspension stiffness every 1/1000 of a second.

Really, it's a matter of cost. On top of a Z28, do you want to spend a couple thousand more on coilovers to lower the car another inch or so?
Thanks for the info. I was curious how the MSRC compares with traditional shocks and it sounds like it is superior unless you are truly racing. I am not as concerned about the ride height as I am about the performance.

Not even sure I will be able to afford the new car anyways, but it's nice to dream.
RickD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 AM   #424
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
Talked to my dealer yesterday and they said that they had just come back from a Chevrolet meeting and nothing was said about the Z. Sure hope they plan to call it the Z28. HP just doesn't cut it. SS is better if they don't make the Z. They said that I would be the first one on the list to order when they can. Hope they make the Synergy Green color with the Z.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM   #425
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyss View Post
Talked to my dealer yesterday and they said that they had just come back from a Chevrolet meeting and nothing was said about the Z. Sure hope they plan to call it the Z28. HP just doesn't cut it. SS is better if they don't make the Z. They said that I would be the first one on the list to order when they can. Hope they make the Synergy Green color with the Z.
Maybe they were just playing semantics No one said anything about Z28 at the meeting

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #426
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Are you trolling, or just in a bad mood? We're sorry for trying to post the best information we have from reliable sources here for everyone to drool over, lol. Get a grip.
I'm not trolling. I'm just seeing a lot of speculation with very little fact. A lot of this speculation is be posted as fact as well. I'm not in a bad mood, I just want people to get the correct info seeing as how this is the place they will likely come looking for it.

Reliable sources=someone from GM such as Scott Settlemeir, not a dealer that has posted some info that no one else heard or saw.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #427
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I think the point of the January 1st date is that production will start in 2012... Scott has already posted in this thread and never said anything about it not starting in Jan. The 1st is just a date the first day of the new year... we don't need anyone to tell us for sure that production starts on new years Sunday... that won't happen. That's a pretty educated guess.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #428
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
I'm not trolling. I'm just seeing a lot of speculation with very little fact. A lot of this speculation is be posted as fact as well. I'm not in a bad mood, I just want people to get the correct info seeing as how this is the place they will likely come looking for it.

Reliable sources=someone from GM such as Scott Settlemeir, not a dealer that has posted some info that no one else heard or saw.
Nothing I said was a lie.
full production cars were built before the official start of production.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:09 PM   #429
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Nothing I said was a lie.
full production cars were built before the official start of production.
I wasn't referring to you.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #430
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
That's what I've been a little worried about, however, from the images, it almost looks like Z28 has been lowered, maybe an inch, maybe a touch more, to my eye. Still - I worry about this point.
Well, sitting lower is actually a good thing due to lower center of gravity, etc. as long as it's not carried to an extreme. Of course that can also make it more difficult to fit taller wheels and wider tires.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #431
ArkySS
Camaroless for now...

Drives: 2014 Blue Topaz Silverado
FYI my dealer came back from the Vegas meeting with a pretty strong impression that this would NOT be the Z28. Just food for thought. I like everyone's thinking on ZL1 that seems to make sense at this point.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #432
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
True...however, those reliable sources will not speak until the car is at hand. Our site was founded on "alternative" reliable sources. It's what makes all of this fun.

No information about future models is really "fact" until the vehicles are built and set in stone. But this is as close as we've got...so take it for what it's worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Well, sitting lower is actually a good thing due to lower center of gravity, etc. as long as it's not carried to an extreme. Of course that can also make it more difficult to fit taller wheels and wider tires.
Clyde
I think he was talking about the ride height as it relates to the Magnetic Suspension components.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #433
GearheadSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkySS View Post
FYI my dealer came back from the Vegas meeting with a pretty strong impression that this would NOT be the Z28. Just food for thought. I like everyone's thinking on ZL1 that seems to make sense at this point.
Except that SLP now owns the ZL1 name. GM let the trademark lapse during the bankruptcy and SLP snapped it up.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #434
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:
Except that SLP now owns the ZL1 name. GM let the trademark lapse during the bankruptcy and SLP snapped it up.
I think SLP only has rights to ZL and not ZL1 but I could be wrong. They can use ZL1 if they want but they dont have sole rights to it is what I am trying to say , but again I'm not 100% sure on that.

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 chevy camaro z28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, cobra killer, hp edition model, new camaro z28, new z28, sexy beast coming soon, z28 forum, z28 forums