Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Wow I can't believe it - definitely makes me think twice about the cost/benefit of a ported IM. I'm happy to hear you caught it before any damage occured.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Awesome, let us know how it goes man. Either choice is going to be great
Yeah I'm super excited! The SS does seem like the better choice because its practically new, 15,000 miles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Holy crap! I need to check mine haha.

I think with the left over money you have from going FI you should give it to me jay kay . Glad you figured out the problem!
Lolol race me for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Whoa! I had worried about the possibility of this with repeated heat cycles, etc... No matter what kind of adhesive used, I think you'd have to weld it in place (not just JB Weld). Which is what I thought Mace (Bmore) was using.

How long you had that IM and how many miles on it?
~400 miles of use...I bought it from USAFBOY, I think he said it had 5,000-10,000 miles on it, possibly even less but it wasn't much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Holy cow! Thank goodness it held together!

Yeah I bet your car is running better now for sure.
Much smoother as its bone stock right now, but it does feel a lot slower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACE_ENG View Post
WOW! I'm shocked myself. This is the first we seen this happen out of hundreds we sold! I personally apologize that you had to experience this op. We try to make sure every IM that goes out is checked for trouble free operation but I guess there's always going to be at least one bad Apple out the bunch. The material we use is heat resistant capable to withstand everyday operation of your vehicle. Heat wasn't the issue I can assure you, and especially if you are also running a insulator. The problem was probably prepping before the material went on.

If for any reason anyone would like us to check this area and redo for assurance please drop me an email directly to velocityport410@gmail.com and we will sort this out for you but please understand that this is the FIRST we heard of this. We have guys that put on thousands and thousands of miles with zero issues.

Again, I truly apologize this had to happen op.
I definitely appreciate the quick response. I think I reattached it really well. Its sold anyway so if the new owner is concerned I'll send him your way. Hopefully it doesn't happen to anyone else!
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Haha ight I'll race you for it, just let me borrow my friends 600rwhp ss .

I remember you saying you had this problems after you either seafoamed or had that deep cleaning done. Do you think that cause the piece to get dislodged?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Haha ight I'll race you for it, just let me borrow my friends 600rwhp ss .

I remember you saying you had this problems after you either seafoamed or had that deep cleaning done. Do you think that cause the piece to get dislodged?
Lololol ite then I'll get my friend's 630 rwhp E46 Mtrizzle!

Interesting theory on the foam, and not out of the question. I seafoamed right when I put the manifold on. Its completely possible it ate away at it over those 400-500 miles.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Glad to hear you found the problem and in time before something more serious happened.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Glad you got to it before the engine got damaged. Makes me leery now of ported IM's.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms2010 View Post
Glad you got to it before the engine got damaged. Makes me leery now of ported IM's.
Why? This is the first I've heard of anything happening like this in the hundreds that have been sold. I'm sure more than a few members have put thousands of miles on theirs with no problem. I know I have.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #22
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Why? This is the first I've heard of anything happening like this in the hundreds that have been sold. I'm sure more than a few members have put thousands of miles on theirs with no problem. I know I have.
Same here I haven't had any issues, knock on wood.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Thousand of miles does not equate to tens of thousands of sales verifying the build. Most Camaro's will remain stock. Most of the modded ones will not have the ported IM in it. Add in the Caddy motor using the same intake and you still have a high PPM rate of failure.

Not worth the risk to me to lose the engine due to a failure of this sort.

Hence why I am slow to pull the trigger on mods and read, read, read and ask many questions before I do pull the trigger.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #24
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
I think he is just meaning that people have been reporting very noticeable gains from the ported IM so it's probably not worth the cost or risk for him, I know that's how I feel.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #25
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms2010 View Post
Thousand of miles does not equate to tens of thousands of sales verifying the build. Most Camaro's will remain stock. Most of the modded ones will not have the ported IM in it. Add in the Caddy motor using the same intake and you still have a high PPM rate of failure.

Not worth the risk to me to lose the engine due to a failure of this sort.

Hence why I am slow to pull the trigger on mods and read, read, read and ask many questions before I do pull the trigger.
I actually have more than 25,000 miles on the manifold.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #26
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Wow that is crazy. I would have never guessed it would have been that in a million years. Glad you found it before anything serious happened internally
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
Macrackie

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS Stripper model
Wow!!!

Hey mace and sc1250. Is there a possibility to offer a welded version at a higher cost? Every time I see filler used in the intake track I get creeped out. Maybe there is no access to weld but just a thought.
Macrackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
MACE_ENG

Drives: LLT Machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrackie View Post
Wow!!!

Hey mace and sc1250. Is there a possibility to offer a welded version at a higher cost? Every time I see filler used in the intake track I get creeped out. Maybe there is no access to weld but just a thought.
It certainly can be done. I know Tracy can def do it or close to it! We are actually reconsidering this area just to assure the customers, but for now any new IM that goes out will be double and triple checked! you guys come FIRST! Thanks guys!

Forgot to note, a catch can will also help with oil situation as Tracy mentioned. I believe a catch can should be the first thing anyone should grab. We know how much oil these cars can grab through the intake than down to the valves down the road. Cheap assurance for long trouble free operation that's for sure. we put over 10k on our project 5.0 and with the catch can our TB/intake/IM been dried as desert sand!
MACE_ENG is offline   Reply With Quote