Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
ArmyEOD17

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Hurst Short Throw...Noisy?

So a few weeks ago I installed the Hurst short throw shifter into my Camaro. First off it's awesome I love it and it reduces the travel so much. But anyways in 1st and 2nd gear there is a sort of rubbing noise coming from inside the rubber boot area (I think). I put it up on a lift checked the underside to make sure I had re-installed the lower dust boot and everything was fine. Then driving down the Autobahn today there is a lot of vibration noise from it. Has anyone else had this problem or know a fix? It doesn't seem to be a problem just more an annoying noise The only thing I can think of is when I switched out for the Hurst I left in the correcting springs could that be causing the noises?

Any help would be great I'm a noob at this so please bear with me!

-Aaron
Old 01-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I have the same issue with my Hurst shifter also (but I still like it). Did yours come with the
NVR kit (rubber pads for noise/vibration reduction)? Mine is also getting some side-to-side play (maybe 1/2 inch) while in gear. Hurst has some new bushings (Steel instead of nylon) out. I just ordered a set and will get them installed in a week or two. Once I get them in, I'll let you know how they work.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
ArmyEOD17

I actually do have the upgraded bushings installed on it they are pretty nice! But it did come with the noise reduction pads I'm just not sure where to put them to help with said problem!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
The pad will reduce notice

I noticed the same noise, and I wrap the black pad/tape around the joints. It should cover both bolts and nuts on the shifter.

Jack
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jylee View Post
I noticed the same noise, and I wrap the black pad/tape around the joints. It should cover both bolts and nuts on the shifter.

Jack
Did you cover the entire lower shift lever pin/linkage connection from end to end with one big piece, or just each end of the connection with separate pieces?
CAI, Ported TB, Hurst ShortShifter,SkipShift Eliminator, 3.91 gears, Spohn rear TAs, BMR rear swaybar, Hedmen Shortys, Solo HF Cats, QTP Cutouts, DashLogic,Elite CC,Vitesse Throttle Controller,CurbAlert
Appearance:
20" Nitto Redlines, Rocket Muscle Boosters w/knockoff spinners,
Underbody LEDs, Footwell ,Dome & Door pull LEDs, RapidFire LED Tailights , DRL LEDs, Chrome Ghost parking lights,
Lloyds Mats, SS Kick Plates, Bowtie Hoodliner, '67 fender flags, Billet pedals, Heritage SS grill & deck emblems, rear deck blackout, custom engine brace
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
Jylee

I did not think the black insulation tape and the gaskets should add any value. However, after the test drive. I removed the cover and bolts on the shifter. Add the gaskets, wrap the entire shift and bolts together.

Most of the noise have gone. Only a little on high rpm.

Jack
Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #7
markkk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Having the same shifter, I have some vibrations. I re-installed the shifter just to make sure I did everything right, I installed the rubber noise reduction bushings correctly and nothing fixed it. I only notice this noise when I'm in lower gear above 4k rpms.

I then decided to mess around and put the stock shifter knob on the hurst stick, which obviously isn't a good fit, but it completely stopped all the vibrations. So in my mind, I believe one of the possible solutions (maybe not for yours) is to get a different shift knob, which I have not done yet, or get some sort of better insulation for the knob which sounds kind of complicated. Also, to note, I have the knob screwed as far down as I can get it and have played with it's positioning just to notice no difference.

I believe Hurst's design needs some much needed improvement if there are so many people with noise problems. I called Hurst multiple times, just to get no help, advising me to put the bushings on, which I had already done correctly.

Other than that I love the Short Throw Shifter and the throwback look. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
ArmyEOD17

Yeah I love the shifter and I even have the brass bushings but I'm going to try and insulate it more this weekend and see I will let you guys know my findings!
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I just got the steel bushings installed. Wow, what a difference. The shift feels much more precise, and my shifter is actually much quieter now. I would highly recommend the steel bushings.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:23 AM   #10
ArmyEOD17

Still getting the vibration noises on hard accelerations, I wish there was an easier way to drop the inside dust boot I believe the sound is coming from the correcting springs but cant be sure. No luck fixing yet. Nothing wrong with the shifter at all its more just a preferance thing.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Jylee

Dusty boot removal

It" s not the best way to remove the dust boot, but it worked for me.

After the shift boot is removed, unbolt the four bolts holding the retaining plate. The dust boot is held on by some tabs under the plate. Pull hard, they should come loose. I did not thread the tabs back, only sandwiched it under the retaining plate.

Jack
Old 02-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
24ZZZZZ
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS BLACK M6
I HAVE THE BURTON, AND THE SAME PROBLEM.
24ZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote