Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

View Poll Results: Was the dyno off?, or does GM have something up it's sleeve?
Yes! the dyno was off. 14 37.84%
Maybe those numbers are correct... 23 62.16%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #29
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
So, back on topic...
All those mods resulted in 24 whp?
The pulley and tune should get that. I thought the 24 whp was just from the intake...kinda read like that on the caddy forum quick, I'll go re-read it I guess.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #30
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Why isn't everyone jumping all over the fact that a motor "rated" @ 550 hp just spun the dyno showing it has just a hair over 600 fwhp?

Aren't these motors SAE certified? If 550 is really 605, WTF is 580?

Quick question though, why was a different SAE correction factor used on the before and after #'s? Typo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Why isn't everyone jumping all over the fact that a motor "rated" @ 550 hp just spun the dyno showing it has just a hair over 600 fwhp?

Aren't these motors SAE certified? If 550 is really 605, WTF is 580?

Quick question though, why was a different SAE correction factor used on the before and after #'s? Typo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the whole reason I posted this info! I guess we'll just have to dyno our stock ZL1's to find some answers. I did notice the difference in the SAE correction, maybe someone with some dyno experience could chime in...
Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #32
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
This is the whole reason I posted this info! I guess we'll just have to dyno our stock ZL1's to find some answers. I did notice the difference in the SAE correction, maybe someone with some dyno experience could chime in...

We noticed something very interesting on this 2012 CADI......It had a port for the DUAL MOD EXHAUST ON IT

Also just finished another CADILLAC CTSV MANUAL this last week making very similar numbers with exact same mods

Mark my words TODAY:The ZL1 with 93 octane will have some stagering numbers on the chassis dyno!
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #33
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
We noticed something very interesting on this 2012 CADI......It had a port for the DUAL MOD EXHAUST ON IT

Also just finished another CADILLAC CTSV MANUAL this last week making very similar numbers with exact same mods

Mark my words TODAY:The ZL1 with 93 octane will have some stagering numbers on the chassis dyno!

Here is the comparison I spoke of -

2different cars,Exact same mods,only 1 had 91 octane and the other had 93 octane.

Same dyno and completely different times of the year:

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #34
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post

Based on your experience, what would your guesstimate be ?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #35
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
So, back on topic...
All those mods resulted in 24 whp?
The pulley and tune should get that. I thought the 24 whp was just from the intake...kinda read like that on the caddy forum quick, I'll go re-read it I guess.
Unless I'm missing something from your post, the 'V started at 520-some-odd RWHP - stock. After the inlet, porting the air cleaner, porting the snout (replacing the isolator, which is nothing for performance), replacing the pulley with a smaller one, and dyno' tune, the car went to nearly 590 RWHP. It picked up about 70 RWHP and a good amount of torque, too

What I'm a little concerned about was pinning the SC snout. I would've thought there would be a key in the OEM pulley and snout, but it appears not...

Andy - could you comment on if there's been a lot of slippage with the smaller pulley with moderate boost? I can completely see why you'd do it, especially since the snout is off for porting anyways, but have you seen spinning on the shaft? Also - were there clearance issues with getting the snout off, thereby requiring the whole SC to come off? I'm just wondering out of my own curiosity I'll be looking to do a lot of this stuff on my own, and wouldn't mind pulling the SC if necessary, but I'd rather not. Also - regardless of trying to be stealthy with the upper, do you see any benefits to replace it rather than the lower? I imagine belt slippage would be less with the lower, but again - I'm just curious I'm thinking I'd probably do both because I'll be limited with the rest of the bolt-ons where I live (i.e. not a lot of air cleaner or exhaust work will be permitted in order to remain in compliance, visually, with LE) I wish I could do some LTs

Thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #36
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebot8484 View Post
Stock pull
SAE correction factor: .98
Rear wheel horsepower: 524.8 at 6125 rpm
Rear wheel torque: 521.2 at 3775 rpm
Run conditions: 72.21 degrees F, 29.50-in HG
Coolant temp 178 start, 180 finish
Boost- 9.44 max, 8.18 average

After Stage 1 kit
SAE correction factor: .99
Rear wheel horsepower: 548.1 at 6175 rpm
Rear wheel torque: 527.0 at 3675 rpm
Run conditions: 73.57 degrees F, 29.49-in HG
Coolant temp 172 start, 172 finish
Boost- 10.01 max, 8.06 average
Gains- Rhwp 23, rwtq, 6
This is what I was referring too...
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #37
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
This is what I was referring too...
AH! I'm sorry

I don't have the article, but the were stages this install was performed, and to my recollection, the first stage of this install, was porting the air cleaner inlet (removing the snorkle and enlarging the opening in the air cleaner) and adding the Stinger elbow. I remember the article claimed that you can really open-up the side (opening at the snorkle) and bottom for huge flow, however, there were concerns of picking-up air from the engine compartment which wouldn't be good for IATs.

I'm pretty sure this stage of the install could be what you're talking about. This was also sans a custom tune - this was 100% stock with the Stinger elbow and opening-up the OEM air cleaner box.

The second stage of the install, was the rest of the Stage 1 kit, to my understanding... I don't really see a Stage 1 kit on ADM's site, so forgive me if it sounds like I'm arguing sematics - I'm really not

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Based on your experience, what would your guesstimate be ?
Over 500RWHP ON MANUALS.....

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 04-02-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
AH! I'm sorry

I don't have the article, but the were stages this install was performed, and to my recollection, the first stage of this install, was porting the air cleaner inlet (removing the snorkle and enlarging the opening in the air cleaner) and adding the Stinger elbow. I remember the article claimed that you can really open-up the side (opening at the snorkle) and bottom for huge flow, however, there were concerns of picking-up air from the engine compartment which wouldn't be good for IATs.

I'm pretty sure this stage of the install could be what you're talking about. This was also sans a custom tune - this was 100% stock with the Stinger elbow and opening-up the OEM air cleaner box.

The second stage of the install, was the rest of the Stage 1 kit, to my understanding... I don't really see a Stage 1 kit on ADM's site, so forgive me if it sounds like I'm arguing sematics - I'm really not
It's all good. Thought that was strange. Pulley should be 25 whp minimum for a small change, otherwise you did it wrong. Tune should be about the same. 24 whp did not add up.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
It's all good. Thought that was strange. Pulley should be 25 whp minimum for a small change, otherwise you did it wrong. Tune should be about the same. 24 whp did not add up.
Yeah - I reviewed the article again, and actually - the Stinger is NOT part of the ADM Stage I package outlined in th article. It must've been added by the owner. It also sounded like the suggestiong to cut the air box open was recommended by the Stinger-people. It was that change, with no tuning, that resulted in the 20 RWHP increase. Then - the addition of the pulley and tune with porting added up to the remainder of the increase ADM saw in that article.

I'd recommend you pick that GMHTP up. Not only is it a good article, IMO, and showcases one of our Sponsors, but I also think it's the best magazine for our cars. It is one of the VERY few magazines that I trust information from and know they perform their testing to the highest standards with the best people available. It was nice with Evan Smith was testing for them more, however, Scott Parker is also a great driver.

JMVHO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #41
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCanSS View Post
you can't go by dyno results. They can make them whatever they want.

The only good thing about a dyno is getting an approximation of power and its a good way to show gains with mods, as long as youre on the same dyno with the same conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by actireman View Post
Absolutly correct. I own www.warroomdyno.com and we have a Mustang MD250 eddy current dyno. Our dyno doesn't put out near the numbers that an inertia dyno does. We don't care because we use our dyno for tuning. But we will have customers get 50 RWHP when they go to a Dyno jet.
^ THIS x 1 HUNDRED BILLION GAZILLION

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Great article. Which hose had to be cut 3/8" shorter? I suspect the primary hose with the PCV nipple, since the secondary hose has just enough material on both ends to accommodate the hose clamps.

Thanks,

Jim Hall
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote