Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #29
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetor View Post
Thanks for all the help . . . . . . are you happy with the trade off for 304HP instead of 426 HP?
'HELL YEAH'!!!...

Like I said before, the 304HP is fast enough for me...

I STILL have a hard time keeping it 'near' the speed limit!!!!...
Old 12-27-2009, 02:42 PM   #30
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm really glad I locked in a price with my dealer when I ordered. He even promised to honor the $500 rebate if GM discontinues it - he said he'd absorb it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMan View Post
I am definately not bashing...I was commenting on why wait to get a corvette when you can get a 2SS/RS now....geez
That doesn't make any sense. A Camaro is a Camaro. A Corvette is a Corvette. Why would buying a Camaro replace buying a Corvette? I also hope to be able to buy a Corvette somewhere down the line, and this affects/affected my Camaro purchase in absolutely no way.
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #32
ART-2008

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro 6M, 2005 Lotus Elise
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Easy choice for me. 2SS NO RS. Save the $1200 for fuel. Your gonna need it for all the road trippin you will do. LS3 plus leather seats, equals the ultimate road tripper. Also get yourself a wintertime beater to save your investment. A $500 Toyota fits that bill easily.
I agree 100% with Mike. I like the standard headlights better than the "halo lights", more retro. The V-6 gets a lot with the RS package, but if you get either SS you already get the spoiler, large wheels & tires. The RS is a real bargin for the V-6 ($1450) but with the V-8 ($1200) all it adds is the halos and a few very minor trim pieces. V-6 buyers are only paying an extra $250 for a rear spoiler, 20" wheels & 20" tires!

The 2LT / RS is $28,325, the 2SS without RS is $33,745. Go SS for a difference of $5,420.

Art....2SS (no RS) IBM/Blk Leather/White Rallye Stripes/ 6-M
ART-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #33
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Like the old saying goes......"there's no replacement for cubic inches"
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:05 PM   #34
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
I am struggling with the same decision . . . in addition whether I really "need" a cool car like this at all, the practical side says I don't . . .

One way you can help yourself: rent an LT and see what you think . . . Avis has them in their major airport locations, around $100/day . . . also Budget has them in some locations . . .

I just did this and I was very impressed with the LT. Though it would be fun to have the extra power of the V8, and the cool sound and all that, I cannot imagine ever driving a car under normal street conditions faster than you can easily drive that V6. If you plan to race off-street the V8 could be the ticket . . . but for a daily driver the V6 seems the obvious choice, for all the reasons that you already mentioned.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #35
Lazertoast

Drives: TORMENT - 2SS / M6 / Black on Black
I wanted a V8 and two leather seats. I figure everything else was just a bonus.

Seriously though, I wouldn't have bought one if I couldn't get the V8. But, that's just my opinion. There is a reason that they come with lots of options in lots of colors. For example, I think the RS is way over priced for the options that you get so I elected to go straight 2SS. There are certainly more people who disagree with that statement than agree.
Lazertoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #36
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
Muscle cars are v8s. They have been since year one. If you want a real muscle car get a v8. The v6 is nice I'm sure and has plenty of power, but it's no muscle car..

True, but . . . . the current V6 actually performs better than all but the highest-end of the original 60's muscle cars . . . isn't muscle about horsepower, torque, 0-60 and 1/4 mile times; not number of cylinders?

(and yes I really do want the lopey idle and rumble of the V8 . . . my '70 455ci Olds 442 could rumble with the best of them . . . but the practicality if the V6 is undeniable)
Old 12-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #37
Mustang Killa

Drives: Black 2SS
Six point two liters for sure
Mustang Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #38
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
Muscle cars are v8s. They have been since year one. If you want a real muscle car get a v8. The v6 is nice I'm sure and has plenty of power, but it's no muscle car..
Nothing personal but, your young and have no idea of a true muscle car. Your sitting there with your leather seats, disk brakes, power everything, nav system and XM radio ...... Far removed from a "Muscle" car .....
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #39
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
For me the decision was easy I wanted fast and comfy. I got 2SS/RS never looked at anything else.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #40
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
I have a V6 2LT/M6/RS on order. Was never really a decision for me. I could have easily afforded a 2SS but that extra 200~300 dollars a month could have been used to fund other toys. I loved the V8 and the power but ultimately I had to think about If I really need all that power. I am a through and through gear head and can take apart and put together a Mazda V6. However When i drive I pretty much drive very passively. I love the fact that I have power under the hood but will rarely use it. (6 years no tickets ever). If I did have a V8 I know I could smoked almost any car on the road but Would never ever race the car.
Taking all these things into account I made the decision that I can get all of the Camaro Experience (304 HP is no joke and for me is still more muscle than I will ever need) with the V6 and I cam getting a car that can be My Daily driver. Now If the 2SS offered more than just the engine (and some drive train/suspension upgrades) I might have thought differently.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #41
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
. . . leather seats, disk brakes, power everything, nav system and XM radio ...... Far removed from a "Muscle" car .....
good point, the Gen5 is really nothing like the true muscle cars from "back in the day" . . . truth be told, the Gen5 is much, much, BETTER than they ever were in so many ways . . . not to take anything away from the old classics, and I still hope to be able to afford a '69 SS (someday when I grow up) . . . . but it really isn't a valid comparison

what's more fun to me about the Gen5 is putting it up against much more expensive modern "sporty" cars, where it can more than hold its own
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM   #42
Sweet Lola
#42,288

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet Lola
No struggle, 2SS!- I didn't want to wait so I didn't get the RS but other than the headlamps I don't think that is worth the extra money.

Darren
Sweet Lola is offline   Reply With Quote