Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
blk5genss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Doesn't o e of those big name competitors put their name on the bc coilovers and call them their own?! Cod have sworn I had seen that somewhere?!
TSP Cam 231/236 112 LSA,TSP UD,Fast 102 w/Ported TB,AirAid CAI,1 7/8 catted Stainless Power LT,3 IN MBRP 3 in Exhaust/180*,Spohn LTA's,Toe Links, Drag Bar,Diff bushings,Hurst shifter,Hendrix/DSS 1400HP Axles,Nitto NT555R's,Lethal Performance Custon Tune 480 RWHP 454 RWTQ!! Best run so far is 11.94@121 LPE 3.91's Coming soon NW 102, and DSS DS, then car should be complete!!!
blk5genss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
blk5genss, you are not mistaken. That is one of the subtle truths of the industry. Many times you will find that "brand x" will market extensively touting all of the features of a product as if they are the manufacturer. But in reality, they are marketing their specific brand of a purchased product, which is identical to many other brands with a different name. Just different price. It is called "private labeling" and is something that you will never see Pfadt do as any product that we offer will be 100% designed, engineered and developed by our in-house staff. That is why our products are so unique!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #31
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis SS View Post
I want the look, im just worried about the ride. Dont want a stiff ride, I plan on taking a few road trips and I want to enjoy the ride and not get beat up.
I dont think you will be dis-appointed. Just the hotchkis sport springs will firm the ride up a bit but not much since it's a progressive rate spring. Since you just want the look, the cost is way more reasonable than coil overs. The more you want to tighten up the car, with sway bars and braces the more stable and rigid your platform becomes, the better it handles but you loose some of your ride quality. So just springs wont beat you up. Hotchkis makes the best product when doing just the coils, they were not the first company to bring them to market when the 5th gen came out, they were actually one of the last of the major players to offer them, but not because they started late. They spent a lot of time getting it right.
I've switched out 2 of other manufactures springs/suspension kits for Hotchkis set ups, 1 for ride and 1 for better handling, the latter ones wife later thanked me, the ride was so much better, the husband who auto-X's it loves the improved handling, win-win for both.

I have the full Hotchkis race pack, full Energy Suspension's solid poly bushings, every thing they make from front to back, 6 point roll cage as well as 30mm wider tires front and rear,so to say its a rigid platform is an understatement. But since Camarofest 2 in April I've but 16k on my camaro going to events throughout all california, arizona and nevada and I can honestly say the ride has never been harsh or uncomfortable and my girlfriend has yet to complain about it, and she is fussy about a harsh ride. I dont know what your roads are like out there but not all the highways have been ideal here on the west coast.

Hope this helps you with your decision.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #32
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Drives: 10 SS/RS 6M Blk/Blk Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
I dont think you will be dis-appointed. Just the hotchkis sport springs will firm the ride up a bit but not much since it's a progressive rate spring. Since you just want the look, the cost is way more reasonable than coil overs. The more you want to tighten up the car, with sway bars and braces the more stable and rigid your platform becomes, the better it handles but you loose some of your ride quality. So just springs wont beat you up. Hotchkis makes the best product when doing just the coils, they were not the first company to bring them to market when the 5th gen came out, they were actually one of the last of the major players to offer them, but not because they started late. They spent a lot of time getting it right.
I've switched out 2 of other manufactures springs/suspension kits for Hotchkis set ups, 1 for ride and 1 for better handling, the latter ones wife later thanked me, the ride was so much better, the husband who auto-X's it loves the improved handling, win-win for both.

I have the full Hotchkis race pack, full Energy Suspension's solid poly bushings, every thing they make from front to back, 6 point roll cage as well as 30mm wider tires front and rear,so to say its a rigid platform is an understatement. But since Camarofest 2 in April I've but 16k on my camaro going to events throughout all california, arizona and nevada and I can honestly say the ride has never been harsh or uncomfortable and my girlfriend has yet to complain about it, and she is fussy about a harsh ride. I dont know what your roads are like out there but not all the highways have been ideal here on the west coast.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Thanks for your input on this. I will have to look and see if some one in our club has a set of Hotchkis springs installed and take a ride. You have done a lot of work on your Camaro.
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
-Hurst Shifter, with custom Speed Dawg
Dennis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #33
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Here are some threads for BC coilovers. Just do your research on the different brands. Plenty of good manufacturers out there. That way you'll know which one meets your needs and budget. If you have any questions about coilovers just ask and you'll get your answers.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150807
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103098
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172436
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166607

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171561
Thanks again for your help. I will check these out! I like the stance your Camaro is sitting at, looks really sharp!
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #34
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Quote:
Here are some threads for BC coilovers. Just do your research on the different brands. Plenty of good manufacturers out there. That way you'll know which one meets your needs and budget. If you have any questions about coilovers just ask and you'll get your answers.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150807
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103098
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172436
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166607

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171561
What did you do to cover the big holes in the trunk? Do you have pics of what you did to cover the holes?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #35
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
What did you do to cover the big holes in the trunk? Do you have pics of what you did to cover the holes?
I wouldn't really call them big holes. They are 2" round which aren't that big IMO. Just enough to expose the knobs and for you to get your fingers easily in there to turn them.

Mike used 2" desk gromets you can get from any hardware store or office supply. Those are the gromets you use when you cut a hole in your desk to run wires through. You use the groment to put a trim around the whole and usually have a cover to help hide the hole (but you don't use the cover is this case).

I took some pics yesterday (the close up is blurry....my camera was acting funky for some reason but at least you get the idea). When you look in the trunk you see nothing. It's all covered up by the carpet. Pull back the carpet and you have full access to the adjuster knobs. In the front the knobs are always exposed on the strut tower.

BTW: the drop springs that I had were Hotchkis (they are in the first pic I posted of my car). They are a good spring if you are looking to not spend as much money but want to lower your car. They were a little stiffer than stock but not by a lot. With my settings that I drive around on my coilovers though my ride is much smoother. Took it to the track and made adjustment to my coilovers in less than 2 min. When I was done at the track, adjusted them right back for the ride home.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #36
Dennis SS
Always Lookin

Quote:
I wouldn't really call them big holes. They are 2" round which aren't that big IMO. Just enough to expose the knobs and for you to get your fingers easily in there to turn them.

Mike used 2" desk gromets you can get from any hardware store or office supply. Those are the gromets you use when you cut a hole in your desk to run wires through. You use the groment to put a trim around the whole and usually have a cover to help hide the hole (but you don't use the cover is this case).

I took some pics yesterday (the close up is blurry....my camera was acting funky for some reason but at least you get the idea). When you look in the trunk you see nothing. It's all covered up by the carpet. Pull back the carpet and you have full access to the adjuster knobs. In the front the knobs are always exposed on the strut tower.

BTW: the drop springs that I had were Hotchkis (they are in the first pic I posted of my car). They are a good spring if you are looking to not spend as much money but want to lower your car. They were a little stiffer than stock but not by a lot. With my settings that I drive around on my coilovers though my ride is much smoother. Took it to the track and made adjustment to my coilovers in less than 2 min. When I was done at the track, adjusted them right back for the ride home.
Is there like a cup or something that surrounds the adjusting knobs to stop moister from getting into the trunk?
-Skip shift eliminator
-RX Catch Can
-CAI intake
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM   #37
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Is there like a cup or something that surrounds the adjusting knobs to stop moister from getting into the trunk?
No...you have to reuse the top part of your factory strut which will protect you from getting any water up there.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 10-10-2011 at 08:57 AM.
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #38
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Here is a clearer pic of the Install. Like Caverman said it is not intrusive, and you can adjust all 4 coilovers in less than a minute.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #39
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Looking to lower my SS, what is the smoothest riding springs?

Urr2slo – Thanks for the kind words Rick, your 5th Gen pretty much proves our springs can perform… the blue coupe is a total beast on the track and street. We’re looking forward to showing people what our convertible kit can do on your next project.

Dennis - Spring choice will depend on what kind of ride you’re looking for. Our Progressive Sport Springs offer a really comfortable ride for regular driving and get more aggressive as the suspension compresses during more aggressive driving. The best of both worlds – excellent handling, and a sporty yet comfortable ride, plus you get to keep your fillings!

Last edited by Hotchkis; 10-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #40
MARINE1991

Drives: COTW 8/29/11 2010 CAMARO
David... I get it now, nice set up... I have a sub in there might still be able to make that work thow..
MARINE1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #41
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
By the way BC just last month announced their ER series is available for the Camaro now. I believe it is their top of the line coil over. The price is incredible.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #42
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie RS View Post
By the way BC just last month announced their ER series is available for the Camaro now. I believe it is their top of the line coil over. The price is incredible.

Just trying to clear up some things. The ER Series has been available for quite sometime. The hancook drift camaro has been using the ER series since late last year.

We introduced them for sale in JULY of this year.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=Racing+Series
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote