Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
lostinvt
Serial #589!

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS
Unhappy Paint and Stripes...my thread

I've seen a few threads on this, but I wanted to share my own as well. I've had my car for just about one month today...so far I love it...love everything about it...EXCEPT the paint and stripes.
I'm actually pretty upset about this....
One of the pics below shows the seam between my passenger front fender and the bumper, there is a large area where the paint has just peeled away.
There are a few other smaller places where this has happened too.
And my stripes...they were dealer installed, and so far the driver's side trunk stripe, on the accent border, is peeling up....and when I looked yesterday, the passenger's side hood stripe has several spots where the paint is showing through...almost like an air bubble popped or something...they are about 1/8" around, and, of course, once you notice it, it's pretty bad....

I've got a call in to my dealer....I'm going to see what they say, but a bottle of touch-up paint and a sharpie arent going to cut it from them!

Do you think I'm reasonable to have them repaint where the paint is peeling, and maybe see about just having them remove the stripes and give me a partial credit towards getting them painted on?
Attached Images

lostinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
As far as the paint flaking off on the bumpers, that has been a known issue. Apparently there is no body gap and the two panels are rubbing against each other, causing the paint to flake.

As far as the stripes go, if they're the dealer installed flat black, the dealer should warranty this. It looks like when the dealer applied the stripes they may have rushed a little and not properly prepped and applied them. I would bring it to their attention and tell them you expect it to be handled professionally.
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
lostinvt
Serial #589!

Drives: 2010 2RS/SS
Car is sleeping at the dealer tonight...they are looking tomorrow first thing....
lostinvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
GraphixJunkie
Kneel before Zod

Drives: 1998 Silverado & 2013 Focus ST
I've never been convinced that the vinyl decals could be that durable, but tons of people swear by them. I wonder if the installer rushed the job, got an air bubble and popped it to let the air out then smoothed it back down? That little hole could have propogated into the larger hole you see now. Either way that is total crap. The paint chipping off should be covered by warranty np.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
warranty should take care of these issues.

guys, just a good bit on info to keep in mind...it is no mystery that paint around panel edges/corners is very very thin. So, be very very careful when using a power washer! Try your best not point-blank spray in the seams as you try to wash out the dirt and crud in there. If you do, the seam maybe so tight that it can only pass through enough pressure and the rest ricochets back out so now you have 2 pressure effects..one blasting in and the other blasting out....you can imagine what happens if the pressure catches even a slight broken piece of the paint. Same thing if you point the power blast at the sharp corner of a stick on stripe or a dried out bubble, the blast will peel it off. Be careful.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
I got the dealer installed stripes too and I'm not a fan of the vinyl. I'm going to have mine painted so I don't ever have to worry about them again. But in the meantime the dealer should warranty and replace them.

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Apecman116

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs Aqua Blue
Unhappy stripe issue

Anyone from New Jersey have dealer installed silver rally stripes, my dealer can't find anybody to tackle them. They had a vinyl shop try to put the first set on but they tore them on the hood! I'm getting desperate it's been 3mnths. Thanks
Apecman116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
Damion1213

Drives: 99 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apecman116 View Post
Anyone from New Jersey have dealer installed silver rally stripes, my dealer can't find anybody to tackle them. They had a vinyl shop try to put the first set on but they tore them on the hood! I'm getting desperate it's been 3mnths. Thanks
Check with Imagine Audio across from the Cherry Hill mall they would do it i'm sure.
Damion1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #9
fee5fofum

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Coupe & 2SS/RS
I had my Factory Rally Stripes replaced with Painted on Factory look Rally Stripes ... Have them Painted on because they look so much better then Vinyl Stripes !

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40901
fee5fofum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
twok9s4me

Drives: red jewel tintcoat
I had mine painted on as well. It looks so much better than the vinyl. No comparrison
twok9s4me is offline   Reply With Quote