Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
VaderSS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6sp
iphone 4s phonebook access - bluetooth?

Im looking for some help from one of our member experts; Have you been able to use bluetooth voice commands to access your phonebook? (or push your data to the car). What about using siri? I put my phone in the center console, so holding the home button isnt a great option.

Thanks for any help, tips, tricks
VaderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Thank you for reaching out! I do have a website that could be very useful to you on how to access your phonebook through Bluetooth. The website is http://www.onstar.com/web/bluetooth/ . From there, you must select your brand of vehicle and then from there you should be able to choose the phone you have and how to access your contacts from your phonebook to make a call. If you need further assistance, private message me, and I will promptly walk you through the details.

Hope this helps!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
The 4S isn't listed on that site linked above. But I do know for the iPhone 4 the 2010 camaro does not support phone book download, so u wont ever see contact names on the radio display unless you manually program them in one by one.

You should be able to access Siri though. I don't have a 4s, just the 4 but should be the same.

Push the talk button> say Bluetooth > say voice.
Then you should be able to use voice control.

I never use it though cuz its too much of a hassle, too many steps and pauses in between. You have to speak like 3 commands before the actual commad that does what your trying to do. I can manually do it faster.
I wish there were a setting that would make my phone the default for voice instead of onstar, that way u would only need to push the button once and skip the extra commands.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
well I don't have a iPhone....but you can always take the time and put the numbers in your CARS phone book.....then when you want to make a call, hit the call button on the wheel, your phone accesses your phone and you get your dail tone, then using your CARS phone book, say the name or however you put in the vioce command in and access them that way. I did that very thing. It just takes a little time. not a big deal.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
murdered

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Ann. Edition
It looks like the iPhone 4 does not currently support phonebook downloading:
https://www.onstar.com/web/bluetooth...apple-iphone-4

What I can't figure out is if this is a limitation on the phone or the bluetooth system. The new version of iOS 6 is supposed to support bluetooth MAP profiles, allowing text messages and emails to be passed on to the vehicle. I'm not sure if Chevy's bluetooth system is capable of handling that, but I know my girlfriend's Ford Escape is. I'll see if I can download the beta and test it out (I'm an iPhone developer, so I'll do as thorough of a testing as I can).
murdered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Divrdown

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
I can see my phone book on the radio display and I have the 4s. I did receive a letter from GM / Onstar about doing an update for some 2011 cars to make it more compatible with the bluetooth You can get a 30 day free onstar update to get th new software download.
Here is my other post.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234733
Divrdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
murdered

I can see my phone book too, what does't work is saying "Call John Smith" unless I've previously punched that contact into the OnStar system. Other phones will automatically sync their information over.
murdered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdered View Post
I can see my phone book too, what does't work is saying "Call John Smith" unless I've previously punched that contact into the OnStar system. Other phones will automatically sync their information over.
I've tried 4 different phones and voice commands will not work on any of them unless I've already programmed the number I'm calling into the car itself.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
murdered

Update from my previous post:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
It seems that the iPhone DOES support PBAP, and it's probably just a limitation on the PDIM. GM is probably just blaming it on the phone, when in reality it's their system that is lacking.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
Blacc Mamba
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Update from my previous post:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
It seems that the iPhone DOES support PBAP, and it's probably just a limitation on the PDIM. GM is probably just blaming it on the phone, when in reality it's their system that is lacking.
Yes, it works in my cousin 2012 and not my 2010
Old 07-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
murdered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacc Mamba View Post
Yes, it works in my cousin 2012 and not my 2010
Weird, it doesn't work for me and I have a 2012. I checked my Bluetooth device settings and the option to sync the phone book is marked as "yes". I tried toggling it on and off just to see if that would make a difference and it doesn't. It definitely seems to be a limitation on the system installed and not of the phone itself.

My current workaround is to hit the hands-free button and then say "Voice". That dumps you right into the voice control mode of the phone itself, and then you can say "call Mr. X" and it will work just fine. Annoying, but at least it works.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
Mr_Draco

Murdered, did you try turning your phone off then back on?

Sometimes when I get in the car my phone book won't sync. When I turn the phone off and turn it back on it will sync right up.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
murdered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Murdered, did you try turning your phone off then back on?

Sometimes when I get in the car my phone book won't sync. When I turn the phone off and turn it back on it will sync right up.
Yea, several times. If I manually go into the phone book I can get a listing of everyone, but I still can't just say a name and have it call. Isn't that supposed to work too?
Old 07-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Yea, several times. If I manually go into the phone book I can get a listing of everyone, but I still can't just say a name and have it call. Isn't that supposed to work too?
Nope.

The only way to be able to voice activate a call is if that number is programmed into the cars phone book using the procedure listed in Chapter 7.

Here's the procedure listed in the manual for this.

Quote:
Using the “Store” Command
1. Press b g.
2. Say “Store.”
3. Say the phone number or group
of numbers you want to store all
at once with no pauses, then
follow the directions given by the
system to save a name tag for
this number.
You can also use the voice commands on your phone if you bothered to set it up and just use the cars speakers, however you must have the phone nearby as you will be using the phones microphone instead of the one in the car. This isn't ideal if you are one of the types that like to keep the phone in their pocket.

Quote:
Voice Pass-Thru
Voice pass‐thru allows access to
the voice recognition commands on
the cell phone. See your cell phone
manufacturer's user guide to see if
the cell phone supports this feature.
To access contacts stored in the cell
phone:
1. Press b g.
2. Say “Bluetooth.”
3. Say “Voice.”