Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #1821
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
Get it in the hands of people who do this for a living and the car will fly.
Scat Pack, dealer-installed, Hellcat option (color-keyed - this one is for Fantastic Fuchsia owners):

And for a few buck$' extra, you can have the Richard Rawlings' Signature versions...

You've been listening to the Beach Boys' "Little Deuce Coupe" song a time 'r two too many...
Attached Images

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:51 PM   #1822
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...which is 2/10s off the "promised" time...and at least 2/10ths quicker than anyone else has run with time slip in hand.

Right, Ray?
Im sure you will say this is an excuse Lowdown, those slips are from Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin. The track does a decent job of prepping, but on a typical test n tune night they seem to do what is only required.(On nights where they have events the track prep is pretty good) GLD, is an IHRA track, and having raced at both NHRA and IHRA tracks, the NHRA tracks always have had superior track prep. Dodge claims NHRA certified, which means the runs were done on a NHRA track
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:52 PM   #1823
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Scat Pack, dealer-installed, Hellcat option (color-keyed - this one is for Fantastic Fuchsia owners):

And for a few buck$' extra, you can have the Richard Rawlings' Signature versions...

You've been listening to the Beach Boys' "Little Deuce Coupe" song a time 'r two too many...

Um okay????
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #1824
Col. Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Im sure you will say this is an excuse Lowdown, those slips are from Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin. The track does a decent job of prepping, but on a typical test n tune night they seem to do what is only required.(On nights where they have events the track prep is pretty good) GLD, is an IHRA track, and having raced at both NHRA and IHRA tracks, the NHRA tracks always have had superior track prep. Dodge claims NHRA certified, which means the runs were done on a NHRA track
i have raced at GLD and at night - the track sucks no matter how much traction compound they throw at it

They had a night bracket race 2 summers ago and we had out big block nova there (big fat ass tire bracket car) We backed it down to launch at 3000rpm because anything more would just blow the tires off.

Car was running 10.50s that night (humid night/crap track). Car's fastest ET was 10.13

And it was NHRA then.

Its a great track to seek out the Chicago boys and take their money but not the best track to try and make practice hits on a new car.

Would have been better off driving to Joliet
Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #1825
shaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
i have raced at GLD and at night - the track sucks no matter how much traction compound they throw at it

They had a night bracket race 2 summers ago and we had out big block nova there (big fat ass tire bracket car) We backed it down to launch at 3000rpm because anything more would just blow the tires off.

Car was running 10.50s that night (humid night/crap track). Car's fastest ET was 10.13

And it was NHRA then.

Its a great track to seek out the Chicago boys and take their money but not the best track to try and make practice hits on a new car.

Would have been better off driving to Joliet
Yeah 66 is all around the better track. I don't think a lot of people realize the difference in prep between a NHRA and IHRA track.

(and how GLD held onto its NHRA status for that long shocks me)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #1826
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Dodge claims NHRA certified, which means the runs were done on a NHRA track
What, NHRA has a special compound exclusively theirs, that VHT doesn't sell to others?! Or, maybe a super-secret stick-em sauce they ONLY sell to MOPAR?!

You DID see the photos taken @ the Mopar press event @ PIR, didn't you? CONCRETE launch pad covered in a BLACK substance from side-to-side per lane?

1) Was that BLACK substance VHT, or Aunt Jemima Molasses?

2) NO cameras trained on the finish line scoreboards...NONE!

3) NO 6-speed times...from ANYONE ANYWHERE...

Hellcats, with BOTH transmissions, are currently in the hands of a widespread band of "automotive writers" for various and sundry media outlets (and have been since PIR), yet NO ONE has posted another 11.40-something slip...or an 11.50-something slip...and CERTAINLY NOT an 11.20-something slip...NONE!

How do YOU spell "HEAP OF HYPE"? Or is it HEEP OF HIPE? Or...
Old 08-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #1827
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
These cars will spend most of their lives running roll races. Quarter miles times and Ring times are toilet magazine reading fun. I want. 70-1XX as fast as possible.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #1828
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Yeah 66 is all around the better track. I don't think a lot of people realize the difference in prep between a NHRA and IHRA track.

So why did Chicago based Cars.com go to GLD in Wisconsin? It's is more loosely run. I.e. overlook safety equipment, etc.

I know GLD was calibrating timing equipment the Sunday morning before the HC did this run as they delayed opening

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:33 PM   #1829
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
11.40 and 11.43 slips were posted for the Auto.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #1830
shaffe

Quote:
What, NHRA has a special compound exclusively theirs, that VHT doesn't sell to others?! Or, maybe a super-secret stick-em sauce they ONLY sell to MOPAR?!

You DID see the photos taken @ the Mopar press event @ PIR, didn't you? CONCRETE launch pad covered in a BLACK substance from side-to-side per lane?

1) Was that BLACK substance VHT, or Aunt Jemima Molasses?

2) NO cameras trained on the finish line scoreboards...NONE!

3) NO 6-speed times...from ANYONE ANYWHERE...

Hellcats, with BOTH transmissions, are currently in the hands of a widespread band of "automotive writers" for various and sundry media outlets (and have been since PIR), yet NO ONE has posted another 11.40-something slip...or an 11.50-something slip...and CERTAINLY NOT an 11.20-something slip...NONE!

How do YOU spell "HEAP OF HYPE"? Or is it HEEP OF HIPE? Or...
No I am telling you from experience having actually raced at both tracks, on test n tune nights that both the track prep and the launch pad at Route 66 raceway in Joliet is far superior to Great Lakes Dragaway. The track surface is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
So why did Chicago based Cars.com go to GLD in Wisconsin? It's is more loosely run. I.e. overlook safety equipment, etc.

I know GLD was calibrating timing equipment the Sunday morning before the HC did this run as they delayed opening
Not only is GLD much more loose with the rules, but they are also open a hell of a lot more often that 66 for test n tune.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #1831
Col. Brain

Quote:
GLD did a lot of safety updates in the 2000s to get back to NHRA

problem with NHRA is - it now stands for Not Helping Racers Anymore

IHRA is a better game for the sportsman community (bigger prize money, more local races etc). And so GLD chose to switch back to IHRA (trying to get back into more bracket racers coming out)

The draw to NHRA is basically winning a Wally (big ****ing whoop de doo)

Joliet is better because the NHRA big boys race there. They used to (and maybe still do idk) resurface that track frequently. Plenty of NHRA nitro records were set even in July heat and humidty of the midwest!!!

At GLD everything runs a little slower. Hell id almost think the guy might have had better times at byron (ok im biased now)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #1832
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:

You sound furious right now. I never thought I'll see a dodge car get 70 plus pages on a camaro forum even considering its the general discussion thread
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #1833
shaffe

Byron is a good track, always enjoyed racing there, except it goes downhill!!!!!!! hahaha

I agree IHRA does cater more to the racers.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #1834
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
11.40 and 11.43 slips were posted for the Auto.
Good to see you saw the pics on the previous page...the ONLY pics anywhere of an 11.40 run...as referenced. Try and keep up...

Quote:
No I am telling you from experience having actually raced at both tracks, on test n tune nights that both the track prep and the launch pad at Route 66 raceway in Joliet is far superior to Great Lakes Dragaway. The track surface is superior.
Were YOU there the night the 11.40 was run? No?

Then how do YOU know exactly the state of the track and its prep? Or anyone else not there that night?

How do you even know if, in fact, it was the car pictured that ran the time?

There's no concurrent video, is there?

Conjecture. Supposition. Guess.

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt