Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
4:11's loud whine

I put in a set of the new richmond 4.11's along with Jre posi mod and billet caps a month ago. I am a 23 year master tech and am very anal about my work. They were pretty loud from the start..I think the pfadt diff bushings and bmr rear cradle bush don't help...I spent a long time setting them up and the pattern was as good as it was going to get...I had several people look at the pattern also because I wanted them to be perfect after hearing all the tales of noise on here..some have no noise some have a little...I have a lot of whine on acceleration..nothing on decel..just on accel around 40 mph and up...I am going to pull the cover and check for pattern wear once more...but am thinking of switching to the aam 3:91:'s..this whine is killing me though..it is really loud ...I have to turn the stereo way up to not hear it...I think I got a bunk set of richmonds..
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
I bought a built rear-end with 4:11's from JRE and it's most likely not the set-up because mine had a whine to it as well. I think it's the nature of the product and not the set-up.

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
I put in a set of the new richmond 4.11's along with Jre posi mod and billet caps a month ago. I am a 23 year master tech and am very anal about my work. They were pretty loud from the start..I think the pfadt diff bushings and bmr rear cradle bush don't help...I spent a long time setting them up and the pattern was as good as it was going to get...I had several people look at the pattern also because I wanted them to be perfect after hearing all the tales of noise on here..some have no noise some have a little...I have a lot of whine on acceleration..nothing on decel..just on accel around 40 mph and up...I am going to pull the cover and check for pattern wear once more...but am thinking of switching to the aam 3:91:'s..this whine is killing me though..it is really loud ...I have to turn the stereo way up to not hear it...I think I got a bunk set of richmonds..
If it's that loud then the pinion depth may not be right; you should have ended up with pinion shims totaling something near 0.024". Is the whine a constant pitch or does it pulsate? If it's the latter then the ring gear or carrier could have too much runout.

I tried the 4.11's and had to set them up 3 different times to get the noise down to a livable level. Each and every time I had a good contact pattern on the ring gear.

I'm super anal about my car making unwanted noises, so I installed AAM 3.91's, dead silent just like the stock 3.45's were.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
MA2010SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
Same boat here, I had mine set up from Jannetty, but it has quieted down some with about 750 miles on the 4.11's, been thinking about using the 250 weight redline shock gear lube with the 4.11's
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
NickJRE

Drives: Nothing Fun.
The Richmond 4.11's are bit nosier than any of the other gears we have installed, even with a perfect pattern. They have a more aggressive tooth pattern, and are stronger than the other Richmond gears. The noise is amplified too if you have the differential bushings. All of the 4.11's we have done, even with a perfect setup, have had some noise.
NickJRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
JM10
Se habla espaņol

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYSRT8 View Post
I bought a built rear-end with 4:11's from JRE
I just bought it from RPM with 3.91 gears and Pfadt Diff bushings

Hopefully they will be as silent as the OEM

JM
DSS Aluminum Shaft
RPM Diff / 3.91 Gears
LPE ZR1 Clutch
Edelbrock E-Force SC / JRE Fuel Upgrade
Livernois 1C cam 570 rwhp/559 rwtq SAE
Best 1/4 time: 11.43
JM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Richmonds are known to be loud but strong. Some people get quiet but most do not with a perfect setup.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM10 View Post
I just bought it from RPM with 3.91 gears and Pfadt Diff bushings

Hopefully they will be as silent as the OEM

JM
That's the setup I have now after struggling with noisy Richmonds. They are dead silent, just like the OEM 3.45's were.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
I originally had BMR differential bushings and switched to Pedder's. My noise problem went away.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Might want to change the fluid, just a thought. I had 4:10s in my old vette and it whined a lot but non synthetic fluid quieted it down some.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
I have royal purple in the box now...never had any chatter from the posi that some have had with the posi mod but that damn whine...its real bad about 40=50 mph at slight accel...it's quiet on decel and coast, but slight accel..it sucks...harder accel its not too bad...but cruise speed , I am always at they singgggg. I think I see some aam in my near future...