Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
SRP Racing Aluminum Race Pedals

This is my first how-to write up so be nice please. This is my install and review of SRP Racings Aluminum Race Pedals for my 2014 SS 1LE.

One of the first things I noticed when driving my Camaro was the accelerator pedal is much further away from the brake pedal then my last manual car (2004 Subaru WRX) and it was very hard to heal-toe for rev-matching unless I was wearing some big old boots. I did some searching for a reasonably priced solution and found the SRP pedals for $89.00 plus shipping.

Here you can see the gap between the accelerator and brake pedal.

Ordering, and shipping went smooth. The pedals are made to order, and you are advised of this at the time of the order, and SRP tells you that it will take 5 to 10 days before they are shipped. The pedals and all hardware were packaged very nice, and the quality of the pedals and the hardware seems very good. The instructions were very easy to read and follow. I like the fact that you can see all the machining and milling marks on the pedals.

The instructions give you a list of tools required, and the pedals come with the allen wrench needed to install the pedal bolts. Here is a list of tools needed incase you want to make sure you have everything before your pedals show up: Drill, 3/16" drill bit, 1/16" drill bit, center punch, Phillips head screwdriver bit, 9mm wrench, hammer, painters tape, and an old towel or rag to put down under the pedals to catch the metal shavings from the drilling. It would be a good idea to wear safety glass too when drilling the holes in the pedals.

Installing:
First remove the rubber covers off of the brake and clutch pedals. These simply just pull off. The gas pedal is plastic and all one piece so you don't have to take anything off of that pedal or the dead pedal.

Next put masking tape over the accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals. Using the SRP pedals as a reference, hold the pedals up the factory pedals that have been taped and mark where you want to drill the holes. The important thing for the brake and clutch pedal is to pay attention to the arm that the pedals are welded to. You don't want to drill through the welds or the arm, so you need to move the pedals around until you can avoid the arms on the back of the pedals. You can see that I have to cross off my first set of holes on the brake pedal because of this. I still ran in to a little problem once the holes had been drilled, but I will get to that later.

Using the center punch and hammer mark the (correct) holes to be drilled on the clutch and brake pedal. This is a good time to put that towel down so you don't get metal shavings on the carpet or floor mat. Start by using the 1/16" drill bit to drill pilot holes, followed by the 3/16" drill bit. For the accelerator pedal you need only use the 1/16" drill bit for pilot holes. I didn't drill holes for the dead pedal because I'm a rebel .

Take the painters tape off the pedals and inspect your work. Be careful of the sharp metal burs on the back side of the pedals from the drilling. Remove the towel and vacuum any metal shavings that missed the towel like most of mine did.

Now it's time to install the pedals. Because of the arms that the pedals are welded to for the clutch and brake pedal, there is going to be one screw on the clutch pedal and one on the brake pedal that need to be a little longer then the supplied screws. I was able to find the exact stainless steel allen head screws but a little longer then the supplied ones at my local big box home improvement store.

The supplied one is on the right, the one I picked up at the big box home improvement store is on the left.

Attach the pedals with the supplied and acquired bolts and nylon nuts. You will need the allen wrench that comes with the pedals and the 9mm wrench for the nut on the back side of the pedals. The accelerator pedal went on easy with the screw driver attachment on my cordless drill and the supplied self tapping screws. The dead pedal was easy too. I just held it where I wanted it with one hand and ran the self tapping screws in with the cordless screwdriver.

Review:

These pedals do exactly what I need them to do. I can heel-toe much easier now, the grip on the pedals is great, and they look good too. Overall the company was great to deal with, and their product seems to be very high quality. This is a great solution to make the car more track friendly.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
MikeInAZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE, AGM
This is an excellent write-up, thanks for the information! Pedals look great!

Roto-Fab CAI, #8 Fuse Pull, 1LE Emblems, misc cosmetic changes, and a mod list that is a mile long.
MikeInAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Nice, I have had mine sitting in my office for for 3 months now. I know it is a quick install but there always seems something else going on.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Very nice. Perfect timing. I just ordered a set of SRP pedals for my 1LE as well. Still waiting for them to arrive but it's great to be able to read up on this before tackling the job!! Nice write up and the new pedals look great!!
Old 04-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

You will love them, and thanks!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Thanks for the write up, I look to add pedals hopefully sometime soon.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Nice write up. Think you could cross post this over in the Road Course/Track and Autocross area?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Sure thing.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #10
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
That's on my list as one of my next mods. Looks good nice write up !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Great write up!
SRP is one great company. A side note- if you order from the website, they charge your credit card immediately, but if you call and speak to them, they only charge your card when they ship the pedals.
I can also tell you that their heel guard is well worth the investment.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Nice write up. Think you could cross post this over in the Road Course/Track and Autocross area?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=219

T.
I asked a moderator to move it from the 1LE forum to the road course forum.