Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Went Injen because I didn't want to wait and I'm kinda with the general crowd on this one.
I won't be trading unless it's proven to be a pretty big difference.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #16
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
I have the Injen long tube CAI and love it!! I personally don't think Vavaram will be any better than it. Jannetty Racings CAI testing proved the Injen was a great CAI, so I am sticking with it!!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #17
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFan View Post
Got the CAI, Inc brand and keeping it. Are you really relying on an intake to boost your HP that much? Not happening I'm afraid. While there is an improved difference, it's "barely there" at best. It gave my stock setup a little more growl and she "breathes" better now. Good Luck..
CF, to answer your question, no. I'm also running SW long tubes with Random Tech HFC's with a SOLO Mach X LLT cat back exhaust. I've noticed this summer vs last summer much less of an impact from the summer heat on my car's performance. The CAI intake is credited with a 14.9 HP gain over stock. It seems to pull harder the faster the car goes as well. I'm seeing ppl report 25+ HP gains over stock. I've put my FI dreams on the back burner for now. I'm going for 300 RWHP. Every little bit helps.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXJAK View Post
CF, to answer your question, no. I'm also running SW long tubes with Random Tech HFC's with a SOLO Mach X LLT cat back exhaust. I've noticed this summer vs last summer much less of an impact from the summer heat on my car's performance. The CAI intake is credited with a 14.9 HP gain over stock. It seems to pull harder the faster the car goes as well. I'm seeing ppl report 25+ HP gains over stock. I've put my FI dreams on the back burner for now. I'm going for 300 RWHP. Every little bit helps.
25+ HP gains??? Really now. Please show us Independent Dyno sheets of this from a outside source other than just individuals or Vararam boasting. Jannetty Racing proved the Injen's self worth with a independent test of 6 CAI's, all on the same car in the same day. I am sure the Vararam is a nice unit, but 25+ HP gains ain't happening IMO.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Camaroadub

Drives: SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
25+ HP gains??? Really now. Please show us Independent Dyno sheets of this from a outside source other than just individuals or Vararam boasting. Jannetty Racing proved the Injen's self worth with a independent test of 6 CAI's, all on the same car in the same day. I am sure the Vararam is a nice unit, but 25+ HP gains ain't happening IMO.
Camaroadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #20
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Freak View Post
I think 15-20 as Vararam says is more accurate, with maybe 5-10 more equivelent in mph increase at the end of the 1/4 mile? But from a theretical hp% increase based on speed and mph from a book I have as how cold and ram air helps, theory here again mind you, I think it was about 5%xrwhp,2/3 from cold air and 1/3 from ram air and that was at or over 100mph. So on a 250-260 rwhp v6 you get 12 hp, 8 from cold air and 4 from the ram, again in theory.
I have written before how the same type of unit helped my LS1 Z28, v8 I know but same basic design. A Cold air/ram air duct getting air off the bottom of the airdam, SLP and the rest saying 15 hp gain at around 105 mph, and proven out independantly. The thing is the 15 hp was cold and ram air effect, again 10 from cold air and 5 from ram air in theory. The aftermarket lid we had and filter was the same as Vararam in that it was in front of the engine with the same straight shot of air into the intake and was actually the factory position. the after market setup good for another 10-12 hp. All this on a 300 rwhp engine. The gain was around .3 in the 1/4, maybe more, half for the cleaned up intake and half for the cold air ram air.
One last note is we had two fifferent types of setups to pick from also, the other was a open filter k&n unit that was sort off like the Injen. By design it did get cool air to it although it appeared to only get hot air as was open and above the radiator but the cars nose design directed cool air to it and IAT'S dropped alot and fast after you got moving.
Who's design was the best?:
The Injen type k&n was best/equal up to 70 mph, .2-.3 off the 1/4
The Vararam type was best above 70 mph, .3-.4 off the 1/4
So far seems these two types on our cars are doing about the same from the initial input we are getting.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
KM, I know you're kinda the go-to guy when it comes to V6 exhaust and bolt-ons...so how many independent dynos are there showing 20+ HP?
Well I'm glad you sort of called me out on that one because I really can only think of a couple performance tests with the Vararam installed. Guess I put my foot in my mouth a bit with my prior statment.

One is rolnslos (but many people won't accept that as it came from Vararam's test guy)...one is from a guy with LTs installed who dynoed 277rwhp on a mustang dyno which is pretty impressive to me for a mustang dyno, but we have no before numbers. The last thing that comes to mind is the guy who took his car to the 1/4 mile track, and ran a tenth better than his previous stock run. But the run with the Vararam was on a hotter/muggier day and he said many guys who were there before were running around 3 tenths slower, so the fact that he ran faster is a good sign.

But all in all...yes it would be nice to see more stock versus Vararam dyno runs.

If you do a before/after on a car already modified with headers/exhaust you will not see as big of gains as you would on a stock car...thats just the way it works of course. Unfortuently, I don't know if we have anyone whos stock that plans to do a before/after pull.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Well I'm glad you sort of called me out on that one because I really can only think of a couple performance tests with the Vararam installed. Guess I put my foot in my mouth a bit with my prior statment.

One is rolnslos (but many people won't accept that as it came from Vararam's test guy)...one is from a guy with LTs installed who dynoed 277rwhp on a mustang dyno which is pretty impressive to me for a mustang dyno, but we have no before numbers. The last thing that comes to mind is the guy who took his car to the 1/4 mile track, and ran a tenth better than his previous stock run. But the run with the Vararam was on a hotter/muggier day and he said many guys who were there before were running around 3 tenths slower, so the fact that he ran faster is a good sign.

But all in all...yes it would be nice to see more stock versus Vararam dyno runs.

If you do a before/after on a car already modified with headers/exhaust you will not see as big of gains as you would on a stock car...thats just the way it works of course. Unfortuently, I don't know if we have anyone whos stock that plans to do a before/after pull.
I wasn't trying to call you out..I really do respect and appreciate all the work you do compiling and keeping on top of the bolt ons for us

I just haven't been spending much time in the V6 area lately, more in the cosmetic mod mindset at the moment
Old 07-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #23
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post

Hey KM,
You know, I never was quite sure about the stacking theory when relating parts on the opposite side of the engine. You cant stack hp say on all the exhaust componants together, but the intake is on the intake side, or opposite end of the air in air out process and I would think not be affected
I have seen many dynos where the intake makes the same by itself or with exhaust, and sometimes not.I dont really trust our dyno runs either as they arent a good test as say JRE's. Thing is when we get times and mph in runs in general, they seem to alude to more hp then the dyno's say.
Food for thought
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I did

I had the Airaid V1 and ultimately the V2 tube which showed a noticable difference between the two. After getting on board with the VR thread and initiating the Group Buy, I did in fact switch from Airaid to Vararam and really happy that I did. This intake has a much more noticable response over the Airaid intake. My car screams now, sounds much more throaty with its exhaust note and it begs to be driven hard! It's like night and day between the two. Had I not had an intake this would have been the one I would have gone with. Since I had an intake and see that this intake/tube is getting forced air to where it needs to be vs being on the side fender and sucking what little can get to it, I just think this is the way to go, my opinion only. This VR rocks and if I had to do it all over again, I would.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:11 AM   #25
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I had the Airaid V1 and ultimately the V2 tube which showed a noticable difference between the two. After getting on board with the VR thread and initiating the Group Buy, I did in fact switch from Airaid to Vararam and really happy that I did. This intake has a much more noticable response over the Airaid intake. My car screams now, sounds much more throaty with its exhaust note and it begs to be driven hard! It's like night and day between the two. Had I not had an intake this would have been the one I would have gone with. Since I had an intake and see that this intake/tube is getting forced air to where it needs to be vs being on the side fender and sucking what little can get to it, I just think this is the way to go, my opinion only. This VR rocks and if I had to do it all over again, I would.
this is all I need to hear
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #26
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Really? all this for a couple of horsepower difference? Why not just stick with what you have?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #27
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Really? all this for a couple of horsepower difference? Why not just stick with what you have?
Cuz the stock airbox sucks...

lol I know this was directed to those who have a CAI already but I wanted to respond for shits and giggles
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #28
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Cuz the stock airbox sucks...

lol I know this was directed to those who have a CAI already but I wanted to respond for shits and giggles
right. I'm not talking about those with stock airbox. But the difference from aftermarket to aftermarket is not worth it.