Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #29
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Really simple... You said 80%..... Camaro
Old 07-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #30
The Idiocracy

Drives: 2016 Black SS
The challenger is a better car for the family.

Th Camaro is just a better car.

A few things to ask yourself. How often will the family be in the car? Conversely, how much would you regret not getting the better car when you are alone?

I say Camaro. And I have two kids, 7 and 18 months.
The Idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:10 PM   #31
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I don't think you'll be able to take your whole family in the Camaro... so that may ultimately impact your decision. That aside, I personally prefer the Camaro - I did buy it for a reason.

The Scat Pack should be a bit cheaper, but it doesn't come with adjustable suspension, that great sound system or supple leather of the similarly priced SRT8 - compared to a fully loaded 2SS.

I like the sound of the 392 Hemi more than the LT1 with NPP... I wouldn't touch the exhaust of the Challenger while I'm thinking of cutting out those secondary cats on the Camaro.

I like the Camaro interior better overall, but the Challenger has it's pluses; the gauges are better looking, leather is nicer (you can get natural tanned lather instead of the standard plastic coated stuff) and it has real aluminum trim.

The Camaro handles and feels much more like a sports car, as you said so yourself... and that's the biggest reason I got it instead of the competition. If I could get a GT350 for MSRP, I might have bought that but maybe not. The Challenger did feel more analog, the Camaro has too much computer intervention (I prefer a throttle cable if you're wondering) and that's my only real fault with it.

I only drove manual examples of both so I can't comment on transmission shift speed. Most reviewers seem to think the GM 8 speed is almost as good as the ZF unit, so there's that. You can't go wrong with both cars; one is an amazing sports car and the other is a proper muscle car.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
sub_ETCS_ret

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxmustang View Post
I already knew what my decision should have been, but seeing what people post here on this subject was very interesting. Thanks all for the opinions. As for the SS or the charger, I wouldn't want a 4 door car. Not necessary because its not a daily and won't be carting the kids around every day.

As for my decision, its probably going to be the Challenger. It would make the most sense size wise, and its still an awesome car. Man that A8 is fantastic. I will always look at the camaro tho, and be jealous... Thanks all.
I hear what you're saying. I have the Camaro for me and the Avalanche for the family.
sub_ETCS_ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #33
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Are you shitting me? Really
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #34
17 White ZL1

Drives: 2017 White ZL1 A10
Don't pay the same money for a 10 plus year old chassis get the new Camaro you said 80% of the time you will be the only one in the car or Just go get a new Corvette then you will be the only one 100% of the time
Believe me my Hellcat was a sled in handling compaired to my GT350 but can't wait to combine both handling & power when I get the ZL1.
17 White ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #35
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
I just did this comparison a few weeks ago and I am about to buy a Camaro 2/SS. I loved the '16 Challenger Scat Pack with the 6 speed manual I test drove. The car felt great and looked great. But as I read hundreds of posts on Challengertalk.com, I was somewhat shocked at the problems associated with the car. I know that people with problems post more than people that love the car, but I was not willing to take a chance on the Challenger.

Dimpled metal on the the roofs, leaking radiators, and rust spots on cars a year or two old! Also, very poor resale value. I currently own a beautiful '13 Corvette Grand Sport which is going to be hard enough to let go of. I sure as hell was not going to get out of my Corvette with the potential problems the Challenger represented.

Good Luck,
Ken
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #36
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubb1e View Post
You need to take a look at the Chevy SS. It's a 4 door Camaro and is a ton of fun.
We traded in our 2012 Camaro SS for a 2014 SS Sedan. Already have 44K miles on the SS Sedan and love it as much or more than day one. My Challenger SRT8 was a pain getting people in/out of the back seat and the Camaro is pretty useless for a back seat.

With 20% off on the SS Sedan right now you can get a 4dr LS3 V8 auto or manual with 4 wheel Brembo brakes & mag ride for $38K.

Last edited by Mr Monte; 07-08-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:21 AM   #37
crankaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monte View Post
We traded in our 2012 Camaro SS for a 2014 SS Sedan. Already have 44K miles on the SS Sedan and love it as much or more than day one. My Challenger SRT8 was a pain getting people in/out of the back seat and the Camaro is pretty useless for a back seat.

With 20% off on the SS Sedan fight now you can get a 4dr LS3 V8 auto or manual with 4 wheel Brembo brakes & mag ride for $38K.
I like the SS... but I felt it was too expensive to be stuck with an LS3. $38k is actually a good price that should leave enough cash for much needed upgrades - headers, full intake, mild cam and a tune.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #38
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Do yourself and your family a favor. If this is going to be your primary vehicle ,and you have three kids, a two performace car isn't the right car for you. Remember, family first dad's wants second.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:38 AM   #39
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankaholic View Post
I like the SS... but I felt it was too expensive to be stuck with an LS3. $38k is actually a good price that should leave enough cash for much needed upgrades - headers, full intake, mild cam and a tune.
"Stuck with an LS3"? Come on now.... it's not that bad a powerplant LOL
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #40
Bobfly
OspreyTech

I think you made the right choice. I was shopping the Challengers too when I made this purchase and I'm still not convinced I made the right choice. I do love the Camaro but it's basically a 2 seater sports car with a tiny trunk. It's one saving grace is that it gets great gas mileage and the Challenger does not. If I had kids to haul, I would have bought the Challenger. They're both great cars.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #41
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfly View Post
I think you made the right choice. I was shopping the Challengers too when I made this purchase and I'm still not convinced I made the right choice. I do love the Camaro but it's basically a 2 seater sports car with a tiny trunk. It's one saving grace is that it gets great gas mileage and the Challenger does not. If I had kids to haul, I would have bought the Challenger. They're both great cars.
My 2010 Challenger SRT8 only had the 6.1L/5 speed auto but I was getting 26mpg. I ended up getting rid of it before the warranty was up due to all the mechanical & electrical issues. Also it had the worst paint of any car I've owned in the last 40 years.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #42
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
If you want to check out the SS, better act fast. Chevy's 20% off sale ends today. That's about $10k off and well under $40k.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote