Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 06-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
I'm 100% convinced that foam GUNS (not canons) are 100% useless and a sham,,

I truly have yet to see a difference in my washes... People here claim it helps reduce friction between car and mitt..

I found a better solution.

Right before I put the mitt on the car, with a ketchup like dispenser bottle, I squirt some cleaning soap on the panel and boom... frictionless and phenomenal clean.. The foam gun truly, IMO does nothing.. Add to it... My car is STILL dirty, which leads to my second question.

Everyone says you CANT put pressure on your car when washing.. How the hell do I get dirt and grime off the car then? I blast it with a hose, then foam gun, then mitt, and I'm still (when drying) picking up dirt....
Do I apply more pressure on the car?

Thanks
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I sucked into the world several years ago. I think I used mine maybe four times until I decided that it was pretty much a Joke.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Your not using it correctly then. Works for me very well

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #4
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Spray the car and wash using a 2 bucket method.. No noticeable difference. What difference have u seen?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
Not saying it doesn't work to put foam on the car. Im saying it's worthless and not needed.
It helps car care compnaies sell a lot of soap. That's why they push them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Not saying it doesn't work to put foam on the car. Im saying it's worthless and not needed.
It helps car care compnaies sell a lot of soap. That's why they push them.
Exactly.. I think we are being trained to think all this "no scratch" thing is a bit more serious than it should be..

Looked cool, but guess it was not for me. I'm the the canon is better given the fact that is comes out at way higher PSI's!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Even the cannons wont clean your car. I love mine but it will only soften the grim so you don't have to scrub as hard when you wash it.

Here's a video I made. If I want that super thick foam I can just add more soap to the mix but the mix I use in the video does what it needs to.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 AM   #8
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
They also require a lot more shampoo than a normal car wash. I think they're a hack too, and useless unless you have a foam gun with a pressure washer
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #9
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Monte View Post
Even the cannons wont clean your car. I love mine but it will only soften the grim so you don't have to scrub as hard when you wash it.

Here's a video I made. If I want that super thick foam I can just add more soap to the mix but the mix I use in the video does what it needs to.

You are using a pressure washer.. The initial blast alone is enough to take off most of the grime any car and sustain.. Then you blast it again with soap, done deal. But these gun things.. 100% scam IMO..
Old 06-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
They also require a lot more shampoo than a normal car wash. I think they're a hack too, and useless unless you have a foam gun with a pressure washer
There is no replacement for hard work to get your paint shiny and maintain its luster.

All the techniques in world are not going to replace rinse, hand wash, hand dry, hand polish, and then hand wax.

I am a firm believer it takes at least 2.5 to 5 hours to routinely detail your SS..and that is not even a full detail!!
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
To me the foam gun gives the abilityto do pre-soak soap step, if your washing the whole car. I usually wash two or three vehicles in the same day, so it makes step a little easier...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #12
samsumon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
To me the foam gun gives the abilityto do pre-soak soap step, if your washing the whole car. I usually wash two or three vehicles in the same day, so it makes step a little easier...
If you are washing various cars, sure.. Throw soapy water on all of them and work your way.. but then the soap dries up over time... I can see the theory, but without this being a cannon, I do not see it being practical at all, and truthfully very wasteful for the environment.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #13
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I don't spray them all at once, the foam gun is way better than throwing soapy water on them. There seems to be some agitation when spraying them vs dumping soapy water on.
To me it's a time saver for the pre-soak step only... I use a cheapie foam gun attachment for my pressure washer, never tried these other foam guns offers by detaili g vendors actually...
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
You are using a pressure washer.. The initial blast alone is enough to take off most of the grime any car and sustain.. Then you blast it again with soap, done deal. But these gun things.. 100% scam IMO..
Even with the pressure washer if you don't actually wash the car it will still be dirty. I use the same amount of soap using the cannon or just washing with buckets.

I do a major detail once a year that takes about 6 hours that includes claying, a full buff, seal (x2), polish then detail spray. About once a week I wash, dry with leaf blower then use detail spray which takes about 1 hour. Every 3-4 months I will take the wheels off to detail the wheel wells and the inside of the rims.

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote