Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette
Totally torn between camaro and challenger.

Guys I have been shopping for a car, and I find myself totally torn between the 6th gen 2SS A8 and the Challenger R/T Scat pack A8. Both cars are loaded up and have very similar amenities. But a few of the features are holding me back.

First is the challenger lacks the HUD. Im in love with that hud and Im sure I would use it every time I drive.

But the camaro's manual shift paddles feel disconnected and useless. The car seems to still decide when it wants to shift, vs the challenger paddles. Those are by far the best paddles I have ever used. Almost instant response/shift, and you can actually use them all the time if you want and get the real manual feel. This is a big one. When I test drove the challenger, I couldnt keep my fingers off them. Very addicting.

Now there is also the issue of seating. I have a family of 5. Me, the wife and our three littles. They are all under 6 tho, so three car seats. Yeah I could take them in the camaro minus the wife(she doesnt care), but I wouldnt want to. The challenger is fine in this respect. Seating for 5 so no problem,.

And lastly I love how sports car like the camaro is vs that muscle car challenger. I would rather have a car that I can race around in rather than one I need to muscle around in.

So honestly Im looking at opinions from here. Mostly from guys with 3 small kids or people that shopped both cars. I know I would LOVE either car, but I dont want to be regretting the decision wishing I got the other. And yes the mustang is a possibility too, but Im not a huge fan of the looks.

Any help would be appreciated.
Zxmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
I have only 2 kids but dude you are approaching mini-van territory!
MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
I have only 2 kids but dude you are approaching mini-van territory!
I have one of those right now...lol
Old 07-07-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Rob13567

Drives: 2016 camaro 2ss NGM
charger scat pack?
Rob13567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #5
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
charger?
Na. 4 doors does not appeal to me. This wont be a DD or a family hauler. Just when we want to head to the track or the car show, I'd like to do it in one car rather than two.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Those kids will get bigger fast and you will prefer the Challenger.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Those kids will get bigger fast and you will prefer the Challenger.
Honestly thats the way we are swinging. But man that camaro is hot especially with that factory NPP. But the challenger scat pack is awesome too. Just a totally different tone.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 PM   #8
Ricardo@Phastek

Drives: the boss nuts....
Send a message via AIM to Ricardo@Phastek Send a message via Yahoo to Ricardo@Phastek
LT1 swap a minivan

^^ just a suggestion but think about it

I was in a similar situation a while back. Ended up selling G8 GT for a Traverse, 2 kids under 3 and wife that didnt care too much for the G8 (she is more of a truck girl). All I know is that I will return very soon with a Camaro, but for now I will just enjoy our shop car for a while.

Back to your situation, I would be a little selfish and take the Camaro. As bad as that sounds, I would.
Ricardo@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Zxmustang
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo@Phastek View Post
LT1 swap a minivan

^^ just a suggestion but think about it

I was in a similar situation a while back. Ended up selling G8 GT for a Traverse, 2 kids under 3 and wife that didnt care too much for the G8 (she is more of a truck girl). All I know is that I will return very soon with a Camaro, but for now I will just enjoy our shop car for a while.

Back to your situation, I would be a little selfish and take the Camaro. As bad as that sounds, I would.
Well I would be alone driving it probably 80% of the time. I do most of my pleasure driving at night after the family goes to bed. I usually take my car out to the country and get lost, then use the nav to guide be back home. While driving like a hooligan and letting out some tire smoke. Only on those select days when everyone is free, would I take them all with to car shows and whatnot.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #10
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Personally, I prefer the Camaro. I have driven all 3; however, I only have 2 kids. Normally, it is either myself, the kids and I, or my wife and I in the Camaro. We rarely use it for the whole family. (Actually, there are 7 kids. The other 5 have moved out already.) My wife has a Charger, and that is the family car.

However, if you look at my other posts and the terrible luck I have had with my 2011 and my 2016 (just my luck, not related to anyone else), if my Camaro continues to enjoy extended stays at the dealership, I may switch to a Challenger. I just can't go the Ford route.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
I like the Scat Pack as well.. but I'm single no kids so I can be a bit selfish.

Never drove a Scat pack so I can't comment on the power aspect (Sorry, I love torque/HP) but he power of the SS is insane. Also, I love handling cars.. confidence when I want to go around folks on freeway on ramps, back roads etc. so no comparisons there.

If I did have a family, I would get a sedan for family trips and still get the Camaro for myself.

So Camaro hands down!
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
77Z28

Drives: 2016 2SS A8, NPP, Mag ride
I was also in a similar situation 9 years ago and I bought the Charger. Fast forward 163,000 miles and with one kid going off to college and another one getting ready to start driving I am now looking at buying a Camaro. My kids will drive the Charger and my wife has the van that we can all fit in when needed. When I test drove a Camaro recently all 5 of us could not fit at the same time so the kids had to take turns. At the time I remember thinking what a pain it would of been to get out of the car all of the time to let my kids out of the back seat. Sometimes you feel like a taxi service for your kids while running them and their friends everywhere. I know I made the right decision with the Charger and its four doors.

Last edited by 77Z28; 07-07-2016 at 08:18 PM.
77Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
the answer to your conundrum is : Camaro.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #14
1sspat
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2016 2SS, 6SP, NPP, MRC, NAV
The Camaro has that "it factor" that I think makes it stand out from the rest. I am a car guy and can appreciate most cars. The Camaro just acceles in every category and this is subjective, but I think has superior aggressive styling to the Challenger.

Good luck in your decision.