Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #15
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
Have you done pfadts "bushing timing" yet?
Yep. I had a local alignment shop do that when they did the alignment after the drop. (Although I have no faith in that shop as I had to tell them how to do it.) Since then I've had it aligned again at JDP Motorsports. They didn't see anything obvious to cause the pull. I think I'll focus on the front suspension and see if anything shows up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #16
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I don't have a clue since you found everything to be tight. I worked on a car once that had bad radius arm bushings and the caster would shift when he let off the gas and pull. I dunno man.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #17
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Make sure your control arms are not bent or anything. I had a bent front lower control arm and 2 dealers several alignments and other shops, over 45 days in the shop over 1 1/2 years later I went to get an alignment. I know the guy so he let me checkout my car myself on the rack. Low and behold I spotted the bent arm. Fixed it and all is better.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #18
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
When I turn off traction control, the rear of my car seems to slide to the right. Its done this every time I floor it. Its probably because I have different tire pressure on left side and right side. If not that is strange!!
CruisingSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #19
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Make sure your control arms are not bent or anything. I had a bent front lower control arm and 2 dealers several alignments and other shops, over 45 days in the shop over 1 1/2 years later I went to get an alignment. I know the guy so he let me checkout my car myself on the rack. Low and behold I spotted the bent arm. Fixed it and all is better.
Which control arm was bent?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Right lower control arm. But I hit a curb to avoid an accident. My thought was to just make sure nothing is bent or out of place. Tons of professionals missed my problem. Always best to look at it yourself.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Retro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Right lower control arm. But I hit a curb to avoid an accident. My thought was to just make sure nothing is bent or out of place. Tons of professionals missed my problem. Always best to look at it yourself.
I'll get it in the air this evening and have a look around. I've not had any encounters like that but you never know.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
One or more springs not properly seated or has lost some free length?

One or more bad shocks/struts?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Retro69

Problem appears to be solved!

I put the front end up on jack stands last night and went over everything I could think of. Bushings seemed to be just fine, fasteners were all tight, wheel bearings were fine. I mean out of desperation I even checked to see if the sub frame bolts were all present and tight. Found nothing.

Next I put the weight of the car on some 4X6 blocks stacked up so I could still get underneath to see if anything seemed different with the weight of the car on the ground. Still nothing. I was about to give up when an idea came to me. I wonder if the front sway bar is maybe biased right to left. I unfastened the left lower end link heim joint and low and behold I couldn't pull it out of the sway bar hole. I had to pull on the bar quite bit to get it out.

I wound the heim joint in enough to let it slip into the sway bar hole, torqued it down and took it for a short spin. Sure enough... the pull to left under acceleration and pull to the right when backing off is gone! I had no idea that a sway bar would have quite that much influence going down the road.

I'm thinking that between bushing timing and two alignments since putting on the sways and drop springs it obviously is sitting a bit differently than when I originally I hooked up the end-links. I'm not 100% sure I had the front suspension completely settled last night being up on 4X6 blocks so I think I'll have the end link adjustment checked on an alignment rack just to be sure. Also although the pull is gone during acceleration/deceleration now I have a pull to the right going down the road at cruise. I'm sure the sway bar being biased caused the recent alignment to be incorrect so I'll have them recheck the alignment at the same time.

Woo hoo! What a surprise! ... and a relief!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Glad you found the problem and glad you reported back with the solution so others can learn from this. To many threads go dead with no solution reported and nothing learned from it. Bravo!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

glad to hear you figured it out. it can be very frustrating as was my situation. now since you mentioned this I am going to check my end links lol