Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #197
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
Mine isn't a squeal it's a different kind of noise, hard to explain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I have heard the noise before. It was a high pitched squeal when turned completely to right lock. The weird thing is it did it for two days never consistently and then disappeared and has not returned.

blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #198
blk13

Drives: 2013 zl1
Dealer ordered me a new rack, guess we'll we'll see if that fixes it.
blk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #199
jammer174
Luke 14:23

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Send a message via ICQ to jammer174
I stopped briefly at a gas station, came back out 10 minutes later, started it up and then the following lights appeared on the display: power steering fail, ABS, brake and stabili-trac. Steering was tough. Called OnStar for a diagnostics and she said nothing was showing up on her screen except that it said "Please take to dealership immediately." Drove it home (about 50) miles and lights stayed on. Shut it off for a couple hours, started it and lights were gone. I have a 2013 Camaro SS and have a cold air induction installed. Anyhow, the thick ground wire that attaches to the body on the left fender inside the engine compartment that runs under the OEM air box was left in the same position. The cold air induction aluminum box was placed directly over the ground wire. The cold air induction box has a rubberized trim on the bottom edge so it didn't actually cut into the ground wire and wasn't metal against the cable, but was mashing down upon it. I loosened the air box, disconnected the ground wire, pulled the ground wire out from underneath the air box and re-attached it to the small screw and bolt that's in front of the positive terminal that has a small red plastic cap over it between the inner fender and left side of the engine. Started the car and problem solved. Never came on again. As I've read in this thread of how many others have had the same problem but have found different reasons but this was the solution to the problem in my case. So, for those of you have installed a cold air induction look to make sure the box isn't pressing down against this ground wire. Thanks to everyone for their input. I never would have known had I not researched it here on the forum.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #200
bgmail777

Drives: 2012 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer174 View Post
I stopped briefly at a gas station, came back out 10 minutes later, started it up and then the following lights appeared on the display: power steering fail, ABS, brake and stabili-trac. Steering was tough. Called OnStar for a diagnostics and she said nothing was showing up on her screen except that it said "Please take to dealership immediately." Drove it home (about 50) miles and lights stayed on. Shut it off for a couple hours, started it and lights were gone. I have a 2013 Camaro SS and have a cold air induction installed. Anyhow, the thick ground wire that attaches to the body on the left fender inside the engine compartment that runs under the OEM air box was left in the same position. The cold air induction aluminum box was placed directly over the ground wire. The cold air induction box has a rubberized trim on the bottom edge so it didn't actually cut into the ground wire and wasn't metal against the cable, but was mashing down upon it. I loosened the air box, disconnected the ground wire, pulled the ground wire out from underneath the air box and re-attached it to the small screw and bolt that's in front of the positive terminal that has a small red plastic cap over it between the inner fender and left side of the engine. Started the car and problem solved. Never came on again. As I've read in this thread of how many others have had the same problem but have found different reasons but this was the solution to the problem in my case. So, for those of you have installed a cold air induction look to make sure the box isn't pressing down against this ground wire. Thanks to everyone for their input. I never would have known had I not researched it here on the forum.
So, the SS' have Electric steering too? I thought only the ZL1's had it?
84 Z/28
79 Corvette
70 Firebird
86 Trans AM
87 Trans AM (350)
90 Formula 350
93 Trans AM (350)
bgmail777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #201
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmail777 View Post
So, the SS' have Electric steering too? I thought only the ZL1's had it?
Nope, not just the ZL1
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #202
Bat Maro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS L99 A6
im not having failure issues with my 2013 SS im having binding issues or are those the same? my SS is fine until i try to take right turns at a quick speed then it starts to bind/lock up and makes cracking sounds. has anyone had this problem? im going to my dealer tomorrow at 10am
stainless works HF cats
stainless works 3" retro chambered exhaust
full de-badge of entire car
Bat Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #203
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
SS's got the electric power steering in 2013.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216181

NEW for 2013:
*(NV9) Electric power steering standard on all SS models
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #204
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Ive got 20k on my 2013 2SS now, October 2012 build date, and I havent had any problems with my steering.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #205
bgmail777

Drives: 2012 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
SS's got the electric power steering in 2013.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216181

NEW for 2013:
*(NV9) Electric power steering standard on all SS models
Interesting, Thanks, didn't know that.
84 Z/28
79 Corvette
70 Firebird
86 Trans AM
87 Trans AM (350)
90 Formula 350
93 Trans AM (350)
bgmail777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #206
Bat Maro

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS L99 A6
the EPS started in the 2012 ZL1 and it did "so well" (GMs words not mine lol) that starting in the year 2013 they made all SS and ZL1 models have the EPS as well. the v6's still have standard steering for now.
stainless works HF cats
stainless works 3" retro chambered exhaust
full de-badge of entire car
Bat Maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #207
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hey Bat Maro,

Sorry to hear about your steering issues. How did your visit to the dealership go? Be sure to let us know via private message if there is anything we can assist you with.

Jonathan A. (Assisting William)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #208
yaniv901

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro 2SS 1LE
Three times in one day, and the day isn't over yet :-(

Wanted to get winter tires put on, can't get through Denver winter without them in a RWD. Ordered Blizzak Run Flats and drove to Discount Tires (where I purchased the tires) to get the tires swapped.

Where do I begin. I park the car outside their shop, mechanic comes around to get the car into the shop - 1st Power Steering error. We wait for 10 minutes. They were nice enough to not throw me off the queue. He pulls the car in and they get the tires swapped. Start car - 2nd Power Steering error. Boy, now we wait another 10 minutes and they can't get any other car in that spot to work on. He pulls the car out and parks it for me. I go into the shop to finish up signing some forms and come back - 3rd Power Steering error.

The frustration on their faces while waiting was obvious. They were crazy busy (-it snows tomorrow). At the end of it all, I was nothing more than a joke to everyone inside the shop. One older gentleman said "Hey at least it looks good", before cracking up so loud you'd think he was mental.
yaniv901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #209
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..I would say that the power steering complaint, with early A/C issues in very hot regions, are the two biggest mechanical issues so far documented. Neither are large in scale, but noteworthy. The S/C coupler and rear axle issues are driver concerns for the most part. The steering thing is the biggest concern, and has had some legs and needs to be addressed if it continues onward.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #210
dcosta

Drives: 17 ZL1 6M
Power Steering went out Again!!!!

Well My Power Steering went out again today and I called the dealer while I was driving it and took it right in.Never shutting it off so they could see for their self's
The first time it was in they thought I was crazy and they never got it to act up.
Now they have seen for them self's that the problem is real.
Now the waiting game to see what they are going to do to fix this one.

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote