Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #15
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Find a Shop that has helmets in inventory so you try them on! There is nothing worse than a Helmet that doesn't fit right! Different Manufacturers helmets fit differently and there are many head shapes & sizes.

I'm a Helmet Freak (my new Snell 2016 Carbon Fibre's Retail was over $2,500) and I have had inexpensive & expensive helmets - there is a difference
Walk around with it on... just don't try it on... look around with it on, like you would driving... see if they'll let you sit in your car... check return policy!!!! Pressure points on the head SUCK over time!!! No venting SUCKS over time!!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Oh I hear ya. I've had plenty of expensive Motorcycle helmets. Definitely need to wear it for a while to known if it's right.

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #17
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero_Sport_Concepts View Post
Make sure you get a helmet rated for Car use not motorcycle. They are different. Car use is fire retardant materials and have a SA rating. Motorcycle use are M rated and don't have fire retardant materials

Kurt w/ AeroSportConcepts
Correct, but I believe a M snell is good to 10.00 and most of us can't go faster then 11.50 without a cage unless tech is looking the other way.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #18
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Check around some pawn shops
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #19
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 6528 View Post
Check around some pawn shops
That is really not a good idea!

The reason being is #1, you don't know the history of the helmet - if a Helmet is Ever dropped, it is worthless as a Safety device. It may look OK, but it could have spider cracks.

#2 The Smell!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:53 AM   #20
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Personally wouldn't cheap out on something that could save your life, just me though.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #21
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
I got my wife a Bell from Summit for $140. I found a deal on my Pyrotek for $99 on closeout.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Find a Cyclegear near you.
Motorcycle helmets aren't safe for Car racing . Motorcycle helmets are designed for impacts. Car Race helmets are designed for Fire and impact .
Proper tool for the proper job .

If you were maybe going once or twice a year you could get away with a bike helmet . If you're going a lot more than that get a Automotive race helmet . They may look a lot a like but they are designed and made very differently.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 PM   #23
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
This is possibly a waste of time but I'm going to mention it... Buying a motorcycle helmet for auto racing is a very bad idea... Motorcycle helmets are designed for impact and abrasion resistance. i.e.... sliding down the road... I've yet to ever see a motorcycle helmet with a fire skirt.

Automotive helmets are designed for impact and fire resistance. They have little to no abrasion resistance, and more importantly, they will not shrink wrap to your head in the event of a fire where you may be trapped in the car for a period of time...

The part of this that's time wasting is that so many people race their cars in t-shirts, shorts, or other "fire rated" items of clothing. A properly designed automotive helmet in that case will allow for an open casket.

Even in a relatively stock car, do yourself a favor, and at least wear a fire rated jacket and a proper helmet for the intended racing... be it motorcycle or automotive racing.

The faster you go and the more exotic the fuels used, the more properly designed tested and rated clothing you will need... Please don't risk it even if the track lets you slide... It only takes a second...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #24
Merc
In The Circle

For the record the only difference between the M snell and the SA snell is the SA has a fire resistant lining and a nomex chin strap. Hope we don't have to deal with fire with our Maro's.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:10 AM   #25
Merc
In The Circle

Most of us can't go wrong with this SA Snell helmet.

Name:  helmet.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  83.1 KB

Last edited by Merc; 10-21-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #26
Merc
In The Circle

Or this one. I have to order a fresh G-Force in the new year as my 2005 has expired.

Name:  h 2 .png
Views: 157
Size:  384.2 KB

Old 10-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #27
Merc
In The Circle

Sounds like I'm shipping the new helmet to my good Buddy Envy for a custom paint job, Pumpkin style.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:05 AM   #28
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
For the record the only difference between the M snell and the SA snell is the SA has a fire resistant lining and a nomex chin strap. Hope we don't have to deal with fire with our Maro's.

I got the above information from a Simpson rep... I apologize if it's misleading... Maybe not all, but many manufacturers of motorcycle helmets used a polymer resin for the shell, and automotive helmets are more of a composite material. To prevent shrinkage in the event of a fire...

I do know that the helmets we used in the fire service were a composite material that would not shrink up in fire, where the clear plastic lenses on them were often replaced due to heat induced shrinkage...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote