Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #1
ghostrider2

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow ZL1 Vert/M6
tire/rim cleaner & tire shine?

Ok so I'm ready for a change...
I currently use Super Clean to clean the wife's Avalanche's tires and rims but I am not comfortable using it on the new ZL1 tires and rims.
I'm not sure what is safe and not safe with these rims?

So I am open to suggestions on tire cleaners, and already get the Meguiar's 101 is commonly used in the forums so I'm game to try it, especially since it's not that expensive in bulk.

I did notice when I picked it up from the dealership whatever they used on the tires lasted for the first 600 miles, just over 2 weeks! Awesome shine the whole time! Right now I just use a Meguiar's can of Hot Shine, looks great and I apply it in the sun and let it bake in so I never get any sling, but it only last for about a week so I am open to suggestions! I just wish I knew what the dealership was using.

Recommended cleaner for the rims (ZL1)? Also is it more practical to use Opticoat since these are brake dust magnets or just give them a good waxing? If waxing the do you guys use the spray wax in-between actual waxing?

Thank you
Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
DylanVK

Drives: a few
For light cleaning honestly a mixture of a good car wash soap and water is all you need. Dedicated wheel cleaners or even APC concentrates for the wheels are unnecessarily aggressive if you only have light contamination.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
ProfessorRhone

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE
I've just washed with my car soap then touched it up with detail spray and a microfiber, since their painted and all. I did get the faces coated in Optimium Coating and it helps but still have to use the good old elbow grease to make them shine!
Dual-Mode, Recaros, Sunroof, Nav
----------------------------------------
ZL1 Rockers
RPI Stealth Splash Guards
De-badged (except blacked-out front bowtie)
ProfessorRhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
I just ran out of Super Clean and used Armour All Deluxe Wheel & tire Cleaner this morning and really liked it.
rvnmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Jbrick11

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
If I spray wheel cleaner on my black rims will it hurt the paint? Also should I wax the black rims? What is a good wheel cleaner?
Jbrick11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
94tagt

Drives: Pontiac Trans Am
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Detai...els_Tires.aspx
94tagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
For light cleaning honestly a mixture of a good car wash soap and water is all you need. Dedicated wheel cleaners or even APC concentrates for the wheels are unnecessarily aggressive if you only have light contamination.
He won't have light contamination if it's a daily driver with stock pads.

But OP Dylan is correct if you stay on top of them with a weekly wash only car wash soap with some wheel woollies and a few good boars hair brushes for the nooks and crannies.

I use sonax for after track days to do a deep wheel cleaning and love Carpro's Hydro2 as a good sealant. Nothing will eliminate all the dusting even if you switch pads but after a thorough cleaning and a sealant that will greatly reduce your cleaning time.

Good luck and have fun with the Z
Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrick11 View Post
If I spray wheel cleaner on my black rims will it hurt the paint? Also should I wax the black rims? What is a good wheel cleaner?
If they are painted wheels, wax would provide many benefits. Less brake dust adhesion, filling any micro scratches, and protection period.