Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Use to be Texas allowed up to 20%, but they now require nothing less than 30% or you fail the inspection. Rear windows can be as dark as you want and nothing can be tinted below the AS1 mark on the front windshield.

But it's still required you have windshield wipers, whether or not you have a windshield up front. Also, they still force you to have a windshield because they have to apply the sticker to the front windshield... lol!

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #16
Splat

Drives: 2012 1SS M6 IOM
Its about time.

This should have been in place years ago.
Mods: LSA Supercharger, 2.55 Pulley, Custom Boost Cam, ARH LTH 1 7/8, HFC, 3' Magnaflow Exhaust, JLT CAI, Elite CC V2, BO White Stage 2 TB, GM 3.91 Gears, DSS CF Driveshaft, BMR Bushing Kit.... . Tuned by JTM Motorsports 540 Hp 550Tq on 9PSI

Axles, Monster Clutch, Hotchkis TVS Track Pack kit.......For 2018.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:53 AM   #17
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
this is just for the front windows correct. The factory tint on the rear side windows on my Silverado wont pass this.
you could buy replacement glass instead of removing the tint from the old glass.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:47 AM   #18
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
this is just for the front windows correct. The factory tint on the rear side windows on my Silverado wont pass this.
you could buy replacement glass instead of removing the tint from the old glass.
I believe it's just the front windows
Old 11-30-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJZ28 View Post
I am not worried about passing. This is NY, "I know a guy."
Might be tougher now. In effect earlier this year, all state inspection stations are required to have a video camera in their inspection bay that is monitored by DMV.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:30 AM   #20
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Factory tint doesn't count. All other aftermarket tint does. And that means all windows from what I was just told at inspection 2 days ago.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
It doesn't bother me; I don't have tint on my windows. I never could get into them. I like factory tints (very rare), but other than that I'm ok with the plain ol' windows.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #22
Cenafan85

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike III View Post
Factory tint doesn't count. All other aftermarket tint does. And that means all windows from what I was just told at inspection 2 days ago.
I thought the back windows you could tint ?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
How will the shops measure the amount of light coming in for a percentage amount? Honestly though, I can fully understand the reason. If a police officer can't see what the driver is doing when he/she walks up to the vehicle, that is dangerous. Even the back windows could hide dangerous activities in such a situation. I wouldn't want to be a cop approaching a vehicle that I couldn't see into. Not in today's world, sad to say.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #24
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
NH doesn't allow any tint on the front windows, and allows some amount on the top 6" of the windshield. All back seat windows/rear glass are fair game. They are sticklers for it though, some departments have the equipment in their cars to check if your tint is legal.

All around a pain, but I understand from a law enforcement perspective. I have just stuck with factory tint on all our vehicles
Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
How will the shops measure the amount of light coming in for a percentage amount? Honestly though, I can fully understand the reason. If a police officer can't see what the driver is doing when he/she walks up to the vehicle, that is dangerous. Even the back windows could hide dangerous activities in such a situation. I wouldn't want to be a cop approaching a vehicle that I couldn't see into. Not in today's world, sad to say.
This is the main reason they've passed this law. A few incidents where police officers shot through tinted glass. One just recently. And one a while back where an officer was killed on a simple traffic stop. He was shot through the driver window when he approached the car. Never saw it coming.

I can understand when the cars have tint so dark you can't see into the car. It's illegal here in NJ also. That said I have mine tinted but only 35%, which is still illegal since you can't have any tint on front windows. All other windows can be tinted as dark as you want. NJ only checks emissions now for inspections now so you won't fail for it, but you can still be ticketed for it. So far I've been lucky.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 AM   #26
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenafan85 View Post
I thought the back windows you could tint ?
You can have the other windows tinted but only to state percentage from what was told to me.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #27
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Might be tougher now. In effect earlier this year, all state inspection stations are required to have a video camera in their inspection bay that is monitored by DMV.
Well that's gonna suck for everyone that has heavily modified vehicles

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #28
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
it is only for front windows and windshield.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote