Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
mrpre10der

whose dealer is going out of business? questions

if you place your order with a dealer that sends the paper work to gm and the order is approved and you get a vin number where you cant make any changes anymore does that mean that is your car .and if so , say your dealer is one of those that gm decides to close ,do you lose that car .would it go to another dealer and if so will it be included in ther allotment because less dealers would mean more allotment for the others .not to sure if im wording it right because i am pretty pissed off they may close my dealer.as im writing this letter my dealer just called and said not to worry about a chevy dealer getting closed its more hummer ,saab and saturn .i take that with a grain of salt.if anybody can help me relax with some answers that would be cool.and not with sedatives either.

Last edited by mrpre10der; 12-02-2008 at 06:16 PM. Reason: title change
Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
kylepo

Drives: 2002 firehawk.....missing 02CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpre10der View Post
if you place your order with a dealer that sends the paper work to gm and the order is approved and you get a vin number where you cant make any changes anymore does that mean that is your car .and if so , say your dealer is one of those that gm decides to close ,do you lose that car .would it go to another dealer and if so will it be included in ther allotment because less dealers would mean more allotment for the others .not to sure if im wording it right because i am pretty pissed off they may close my dealer.as im writing this letter my dealer just called and said not to worry about a chevy dealer getting closed its more hummer ,saab and saturn .i take that with a grain of salt.if anybody can help me relax with some answers that would be cool.and not with sedatives either.
GM cannot decide to close any dealership their are franchise laws that protect us from that. If it is a sold order the rep will ask other dealers if they want the car.
kylepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
My guess is that cars that are on order and being produced will be sent to another dealership where you can pick them up.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
They will not tell another dealer a closing dealer's customer information.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
Yep. In other words, your order would not be transferred to another dealer. Your name, etc. is considered priveledged information.

However, Scotty..does this also relate to orders that have already been assigned a VIN and are in the middle of production?

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylepo View Post
GM cannot decide to close any dealership their are franchise laws that protect us from that.
GM can't exactly tell a dealer to close but they can tell the dealer before hand that they will not renew their contract when it runs out.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post
then how does it work when, as you mentioned before a couple times, somebody buys a car through you but actually picks it up at another dealer?
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
L. James
'Vetteran

Drives: 2007 CORVETTE, 2001 Camaro DD
Send a message via MSN to L. James
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9843
Old 12-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
teamlynn1
Mr. Chevrolet

Drives: 2007 Tahoe Z71, 2009 Silverado

Its not legally your car until you do your paperwork at the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpre10der View Post

Bobby Lynn
GM Burien Chevrolet
www.burienchevrolet.com
206-243-5800 ext 151

teamlynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddiyo View Post
then how does it work when, as you mentioned before a couple times, somebody buys a car through you but actually picks it up at another dealer?
That's called DROP SHIPPING...We order and deliver to another dealer. Any additional cost needed from the receiving dealer above the norm is paid by the customer though...
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
This happened when I ordered my Trailblazer. Had the order in, Hurricane Rita wiped out the dealership, Dealership decided not to reopen. I had to reorder from another dealer. Good news was that GM offered a $750 rebate for those of us in the affected area, so it was slightly cheaper.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaSSt View Post
This happened when I ordered my Trailblazer. Had the order in, Hurricane Rita wiped out the dealership, Dealership decided not to reopen. I had to reorder from another dealer. Good news was that GM offered a $750 rebate for those of us in the affected area, so it was slightly cheaper.
Did you lose a downpayment?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #13
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Did you lose a downpayment?
I had put $1000 with the order. With help from Scott and others I was able to find the owner of the dealership and get it back. They did not try to keep it, but they were not searching for me either.