Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
MyCamaro5

Drives: 96' Infiniti G20
Standard vs Automatic

Hey guys I just can't make up my mind on whether im going to get a Manual or an Automatic. I'm 19, 20 in april (living in the OC) and a certain part of me deep down just really really wants to drive a manual car sometime while im young and kickin but within a year i will hopefully be transferring to USC in LA for school and i hear from some people that its a hassle to drive manual in traffic etc but on the other hand people say that driving manual just becomes second nature and you really don't notice it after a while... but the problem is I DONT KNOW HOW TO DRIVE MANUAL YET So if i do decide to get a manual i would have to learn before i get my car.. Ok so i know the basic concepts of driving a manual car and i've driven my friends car around the block once or twice but thats about it...

WHAT TO DO!?

Advice from experience manual drivers please!

Is it hard to learn? how long would it take (to get good)? could i get good enough just from lessons via a friend?

Thanks
MyCamaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
I have a manual, second manual car I have owned. It takes about 10-12 times behind the wheel of a stick car to drive it OK. I would say about a month to really learn the car.

Best decision I made. It's fun to drive and with all the torque of the LS3 it's very easy to drive as well.

I just don't believe you're 19, nobody under the age off 55 calls it a standard trans.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
If you the standard take it, by the time u move u will be a selfshiftin god.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i've been driving a standard since i was 11. it's that easy. once you get used to it, it really ain't a problem in traffic (unless you have a problem with your left leg). just practice & it'll get easier & easier

ps - you will stall it. just go ahead & accept it
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
Its not hard to learn, its not hard to get good it just takes time. Nothing hard about it just takes time. Get the manual its more fun and cheaper, unless your unable to drive one medically or face terrible traffic daily get the manual. First manual I had was a Silverado pickup and I bought it not knowing how to drive one. My girlfriend drove it home for me but I practiced and I had to drive it to work so i picked it up pretty quickly. I stalled a few times but never any major problems. Just practice stopping and starting aand hills, small ones at first and you will be fine. There is nothing more fun than driving a manual, autos are very boring. Tapshift is ok but his kinda car V6 or V8 is more fun with a manual. I am not auto bashing so no wars please.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #6
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Hey man im only 17 and been driving manual from little on. Its way more fun to run through the gears than have the car shift for u...and by the way about two weeks of driving it does become second nature
Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
O btw my wife said that she like driving manual because it's scary! That's why I love her lol
Old 09-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Croatcamaro2010

Drives: '10 Camaro RS 1LT
manual, funk the auto, plus with the manual there are people who dont know how to drive it so then you will have an excuse to not let others drive it
Croatcamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
MyCamaro5

The problem is that i don't have a manual car in the family but i know someone who does have a standard g35

This is kind of off topic but what exactly happens when you stall your car? does it just stop or what? lets say for example you were going 65 on the freeway and you stalled your car what would happen? vs going 40 on local? Thanks again! ^^
Old 09-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Kelso

Drives: 99 camaro
Thats true talk croatcamaro2010 and i like it!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
MyCamaro5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croatcamaro2010 View Post
manual, funk the auto, plus with the manual there are people who dont know how to drive it so then you will have an excuse to not let others drive it
hahahahaha this is one reason why i want the standard transmission! hahaha keep my baby to myself
Old 09-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
deljaso

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCamaro5 View Post
The problem is that i don't have a manual car in the family but i know someone who does have a standard g35

This is kind of off topic but what exactly happens when you stall your car? does it just stop or what? lets say for example you were going 65 on the freeway and you stalled your car what would happen? vs going 40 on local? Thanks again! ^^
You only stall it when you're trying to get moving from a stop, everything after that is easy.
deljaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
jpsuperman81
Yep I'm back!

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 1SS 1LE
You willl never stall a car going down the freeway, only time you will stall is on take off if you don't give it enough gas to engage, it will stall and lurch forward some, so make sure never happens close to someones rear or anything that doesn't move. Shifting a manual while in motion is so easy a caveman could do it, you press the clutch you shift you let go, easy right. Taking off especially on inclines is what has to be learned. Each clutch has a sweet spot where it engaes and the car moves and every car is different and thats what must ne learned. You will learn your everyday car pretty fast and a great manual driver can jump in almost any car with no problems even if the clutch is little different.
jpsuperman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #14
MyCamaro5

Ohhh so you can't even stall it after you're moving? haha that makes things seem a lot easier than i imagined... i thought you could stall the car in any gear at any speed..

Another random question about standard transmissions... Is engine braking bad for the engine? like shifting down to slow down?