Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #85
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
+ 1 for me! This is great news, this will also help sales because the GT500 doesn't have an automatic option so we can help some of those Blue Oval fans cross over to the dark side. Just one question remains.... pricing.
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #86
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Many will throw the warranty out the window on their ZL1. Some guys can't leave anything stock. Just look at the GT500. I frequently see GT500s in the shop getting modded.
That can also be said for the Z06 Vette, etc. Guy just love to make their cars faster even if they come with 550hp from the factory.

People will also still purchase SS's and put superchargers on them. Sometimes it's easier to spend 35K on an SS. Then when you have the money spend another 10K on a supercharger, etc.
Some guys just don't have $55k from the get go.

It can also be a lot harder to convince the wife that you need a $55K Camaro.

But for the people that can afford it, getting a ZL1 will be the way to go.
Exactly. And, lot's of people like the cusomization aspect of getting a ride and "selecting" the parts they want vs accepting what's given, and in many cases you're not limited.
The dissappointment I had in the SS, was actually a positive experience that opened up a whole new world for me in performance enhancements. My SS, is now specifically designed to my specifications. And, continuing to test, tune and improve on it on a regular basis.
For those of you planning on getting a ZL1 congratulations, 550hp. is kind of lame at this point in the game. I had that with just a med. size CAM, and headers on an SS. I wonder how that's going to change the price tag though. Any word on that front?
Old 06-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #87
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
For those of you planning on getting a ZL1 congratulations, 550hp. is kind of lame at this point in the game. I had that with just a med. size CAM, and headers on an SS. I wonder how that's going to change the price tag though. Any word on that front?
The guys that have 550hp ZL1 will still have a warranty.... You will not!

To each their own!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #88
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
For those of you planning on getting a ZL1 congratulations, 550hp. is kind of lame at this point in the game.
Why must you post so negative and pretentious?

Leave alone those who can appreciate the ZL1. They're no threat to you or your car...so stop poking them in the eye, it's unnecessary and immature, if I do say so.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #89
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Why must you post so negative and pretentious?

Leave alone those who can appreciate the ZL1. They're no threat to you or your car...so stop poking them in the eye, it's unnecessary and immature, if I do say so.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that..... I little misinformed and not comparing the car properly yes...... immature.... not necessarily..... there is so much MORE to the ZL1 than the AT LEAST 550HP...... it will have drive train parts that can handle TONS more HP that his car, suspension that will make him drool..... more down force to out run his car because he is getting light and squirrely..... etc....
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #90
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
I see a ZL1 sharing the garage with Chantilly..... homerun GM!

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #91
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
For those of you planning on getting a ZL1 congratulations, 550hp. is kind of lame at this point in the game. I had that with just a med. size CAM, and headers on an SS.
I would not characterize 550 hp (and reading between the lines from what Al O. stated, the ZL1 will have more than 550 hp) from the factory, and with full warranty, as "kind of lame." I would characterize it as damn impressive, especially for a mass produced vehicle.

In history of mass produced automobiles how many of those vehicles have been produced from the factory with more than 550 certified SAE NET horsepower? And how many of those vehicles that had more than 550 horsepower have actually been affordable for the average car buyer?

One of the very impressive attributes of the ZL1, in my opinion, is that, in today's environment, it will offer incredible performance at a price that individuals such as myself, who aren't in the top 0.5 percent of income earners, can afford.

I wouldn't think of criticizing those who purchase SS's and modify them to their heart's content to achieve the personalized vehicle of their desires. I think that's great. However, I don't think that those who are going to purchase a ZL1 will be wasting their money, or are totally clueless because they didn't decide to buy an SS and modify it so it will outperform a stock ZL1.

I could have purchased a 1969 L78 375 horsepower SS (it was rated at 85 more horsepower than the Z28), but I chose to purchase a 1969 Z28 because I loved the balance it offered between handling and straight line performance (and I still love to listen to the idle of the 30-30 cam today just as much as I did on the day I took delivery). Did you characterize the 290 hp first generation Z28s as lame? And if so, do you still characterize the first generation 290 hp Z28s as lame?

Also, even if I had been aware of the 9560 COPO Camaros, which I wasn't at the time, I could not have afforded to purchase one (at $7200 in 1969).

I believe that the 2012 ZL1 will once again, for me, provide the proper trade off between handling, straight line performance, and cost.
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #92
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
GREAT NEWS!!!! Auto FTW...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #93
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Some people still don't get that the L99 has a better torque curve and therefore MORE HP below 4200 rpm.
and here I thought I was the only one who noticed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGen427CI View Post
Great!! I hope its northern a bit of 600hp!! That little tvs1900 IS capable of 600+ rwhp! Cmon GM put us back on top of Ford's gt500!
600+ is getting a little ambitious. If the LLT makes 2.6% more power in the Camaro than it does in the CTS, then that should translate into roughly the same sort of gain in the ZL1. There is also the electric power steering, which would free up a bit of power in the ZL1 vs CTS-V (I think ... unless the CTS-V has EPS too ... ). So all in all, 575 hp isn't unreasonable to expect for a ZL1. Thats obviously not 600+, but its a good deal above 556 too ...

As far as being being 'astounded' by the numbers ... for me, that would take a sub 4 second 0-60 and a 1/4 in the 11's ...

I think those numbers are doable, given what the CTS-V accomplishes but I'd still be astounded to see them
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #94
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
For those of you planning on getting a ZL1 congratulations, 550hp. is kind of lame at this point in the game. I had that with just a med. size CAM, and headers on an SS.
Never heard of 550hp being lame But we already know it'll have over 550hp. Also for a relatively minor expense I can add 100hp with a pulley, cai and tune.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #95
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
can't wait!
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 AM   #96
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
Never heard of 550hp being lame But we already know it'll have over 550hp. Also for a relatively minor expense I can add 100hp with a pulley, cai and tune.
not to nitpick but ... over 556 ... that extra 1% makes all the difference
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 AM   #97
Mark H

Drives: 04 Denali
Kinda a dumb question,
How much HP increase would it take to feel in the Butt meter?
The Cady has 556, how much more would it take to feel any differance, example if it was 560 or 565 would you feel it? Or would it take 15 or 20 HP?

But Officer, I swear its just a vacuum leak.

Those red things? those are smog pumps!

2004 Sierra Denali ----- 2/4 drop
LSX 438 TWIN TURBO

LSX Block Video
Block number 00370. Build Date 04/17/2007
Mark H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #98
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark H View Post
Kinda a dumb question,
How much HP increase would it take to feel in the Butt meter?
The Cady has 556, how much more would it take to feel any differance, example if it was 560 or 565 would you feel it? Or would it take 15 or 20 HP?
Well ... the ~200 lb drop in weight should be enough to probably feel it with the good 'old butt dyno. ~20 extra hp on top of that (along with other tweaks) should make it even more noticeable

Camaro Fest sub-forum