Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 08-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
MBellRacing
Wheel Jockey For Hire

Drives: Stevenson Motorsport Sunoco Camaro
Send a message via AIM to MBellRacing
Thumbs up Stevenson Motorsports Sunoco Camaro Earns 3rd Place Podium Finish

Reported on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

Well I need to speak a moment of the monumental feat that the team I'm lucky enough to race for just pulled off last night at GP3R. After I had a crash early in our all-in-one-day event, the team worked EXTREMELY hard in, essentially, a parking lot to get the car ready for qualifying and the eventual night race that evening. They had a tough job replacing all four corners' suspension with borrowed tools on a harsh asphalt surface, but they definitely got it done. We made it to qualifying, but had to wait 10 of the 15 minute qualifying due to a bogus pit lane penalty. This left me in a disappointing 9th place for the start of the race.

After the start, I did my job of handing Jeff Bucknum a clean(ish) car and did so with a 4 place bonus. Jeff took this place and ran away! The car wasn't perfect, but perfectly race-able. In Jeff's hands the mighty Camaro was a place taking machine, and with just a few corners left of the final lap, Jeff passed a BMW for 3rd! It is absolutely astonishing that a car that was nearly completely disassembled a few hours before ended up in a podium position on a track that everybody thought might be a bad combination with the big Camaro. Despite the setbacks of the day, Stevenson Motorsport's hard work ended the day with trophies and champagne!

If the fun of the day wasn't exciting enough, a very devoted fan and fellow Camaro5-er, Mikamaro came out to party with the whole team in Trois-Rivieres! He was very helpful in the mostly French-speaking community and was every bit as supportive of the Camaro racing program as the other Camaro5-ers I've met at the track.

Thanks once again to Mikamaro and the rest of the Camaro community for supporting the amazing efforts of Stevenson Motorsport in trying to revive the Sunoco Camaro livery and keep the Chevrolet brand involved in North American motorsport!

I'll try and post some photos and video of the race so you all can experience the day for yourselves.
Driver, #9 Stevenson Motorsports Sunoco Camaro
MBellRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Congratulations

That is awesome!!! This is so deserving. I am not surprised at all, as the Camaro has been knocking on the door all year long.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Rickey
IOM4EVR

Drives: 2010 Camaro LT1/RS
WOOHOO Great Job GUYS!
Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Grat's Matt & gang!

Love those videos!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes

What took first and second? What happened to the car before... where you said you were in an accident? I can't imagine this car being wrecked.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Great job guys
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
awsome job guys !!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
R Kern
NFRNO SS

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS M6
CONGRATULATIONS!!! As they say, luck is where preparation meets opportunity. You guys were definitely due!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Nice Work! Glad to see Camaro being represented by such a prestigous sponser too! Looking good in blue and yaller!

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM   #10
MBellRacing
Wheel Jockey For Hire

Drives: Stevenson Motorsport Sunoco Camaro
Send a message via AIM to MBellRacing
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post

What took first and second? What happened to the car before... where you said you were in an accident? I can't imagine this car being wrecked.
Matt Plumb and Nick Longhi in the Rum Bum BMW M3 took 1st, Billy Johnson and Jack Rousch in the "abnormally fast" older Mustang (read whatever you want there...) were 2nd.

I had a crash on about lap 4 of the first practice. I'm not 100% sure what happened, but it was probably just my mistake. I got really loose on a hairpin and slammed the right side of the car, breaking the right-front tie rod. Then, as I was limping it around a right hand turn to get back to pit, the left tie rod broke too, sending me into the wall on the other side. It was actually the first crash I've ever had on my own (as in I did it, I have nothing to blame but myself), but it was a bad one nonetheless.

Thanks to everyone with all the congratulations! You're all really what makes it possible and worth it to race these Camaro's!
Driver, #9 Stevenson Motorsports Sunoco Camaro
MBellRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!! whooo!!!!!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
Picked up one of your hats and a T shirt at Watkins Glen last weekend, great products. Congrates on the podium finish.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
Kahdir

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Congrats!
Kahdir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
bdstealth

Drives: 2SS/RS White/blk int.M6,GFX
Congrats & I'm lovin it.Can't wait for 1st place
bdstealth is offline   Reply With Quote