Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
TopL3ssSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Headrest mods?

Am one payment into being a Camaro owner, and am looking into options to raise the headrest an extra inch or so.

Am 6'4", and the headrest hits me at the base of my neck, which is uncomfortable on a trip longer than 5-10 minutes. Longer than that, and I find myself leaning to either side to get away from it.

Are there options to remove the headrest, machine in another slot, which would allow it to be raised to get it away from my neck?
TopL3ssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
I have these on order for just the same problem

http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet...-polished.html
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
TopL3ssSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
I have these on order for just the same problem

http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet...-polished.html
Thanks for the info!

Found that the vendor has them for sale on eBay, with Free Shipping, ordering today!

05stram, once you've installed yours, would you post as to the difficulty of the install? Had read elsewhere, that the headrests were made to not be removed.

Last edited by TopL3ssSS; 01-27-2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added a comment
TopL3ssSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
sure will - I am hope they show up tomorrow we are supposed to have a couple days of warm weather.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #5
bbarnett

Drives: unknown
Hey guys...

How did these work out? I'm having the same problem, and an inch or two higher would make all the difference...

Hmm... looks like the link is gone, found this -> http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet...oor-satin.html

Same thing?

Says 2012, but I can't see why they wouldn't work on the 2014...
bbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
TopL3ssSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarnett View Post
Hey guys...

How did these work out? I'm having the same problem, and an inch or two higher would make all the difference...

Hmm... looks like the link is gone, found this -> http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet...oor-satin.html

Same thing?

Says 2012, but I can't see why they wouldn't work on the 2014...
I ended up not ordering anything. After contacting tech support at UPRproducts, we agreed that extending the rods to raise the head rest is not what these are intended for. Is more to beautify the rods, and make them look more beefy.

Am still in the market if you come across anything.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
If you can find a local shop to machine you some new ones, they would probably be your best bet. My university actually has its own machine shop and I got them to make a few custom pieces for me to install a shift knob in my car. Pretty reasonable price. I imagine the headrest rods arent to complex of a part when you get em out. Probably wouldn't be to rediculous.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:33 AM   #8
bbarnett

Drives: unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopL3ssSS View Post
I ended up not ordering anything. After contacting tech support at UPRproducts, we agreed that extending the rods to raise the head rest is not what these are intended for. Is more to beautify the rods, and make them look more beefy.

Am still in the market if you come across anything.

While a low-tech solution to a problem, sometimes this works best.

I Googled, much as TopL3ssSS must have. I looked around. I searched for generic solutions.

I came up with two options (on top of the custom made pieces suggested, which would require taking apart the headrest to rebuild it with new pieces).

1) The problem is that the headrest has a weird 'stylish' protuberance at the bottom of it.. and, that is sticking into the top of my back. I'm sure the problem is the same for others.

So, I thought about buying / finding headrests that fit the holes, but are of a more traditional look/design. Naturally, ones that would go well with the car, but the expense seems... annoying.

2) Black tape (as it is called here, aka electrical tape). It's quite sticky, as we know, and rubbery.

I tried with about 5 windings first, but that was too much. 1 to 2 windings seems about right. It allows the black tape to descend into the seat top, but still hold the headrest up.

That is, the black tape becomes hidden, but holds the seat up inside, where it gets more restricted.

Headrest is solid, and requires a FIRM yank to pull it out.

Sure, there are possible downsides. Mechanisms getting jammed inside the seat, due to the tape, etc. So what? We're talking about not being able to drive the car comfortably...

On the other side of the coin, if something does go wrong, parts at a wreckers are going to be cheaper than any pair of new headsets...

So, I'm happy.

Down the road, I'll probably use my dremel to cut grooves at the right spot. Since that spot will always be hidden, it won't be a problem with the chrome finish removed...

For now, at least I can see if the position / etc is right.
bbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headrest