Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Road Racing Alignment Setup for the 2010 Camaro

Hey everyone!

I'm going to my first autocross event (since I gave up my Gen3 to have kids) and am wondering if any members have/know what a good alignment setup would be for the 2SS/RS? Has anyone autocrossed/roadraced their car yet?

I'm not looking for all-out agressive setups, still would like to be able to drive it on the streets and get (reasonably) good wear on the P-Zeros (since there're no 20" R-compound tires out there, yet).

Thanks
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71994

Good info in the sticky
Old 07-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Hey everyone!

I'm going to my first autocross event (since I gave up my Gen3 to have kids) and am wondering if any members have/know what a good alignment setup would be for the 2SS/RS? Has anyone autocrossed/roadraced their car yet?

I'm not looking for all-out agressive setups, still would like to be able to drive it on the streets and get (reasonably) good wear on the P-Zeros (since there're no 20" R-compound tires out there, yet).

Thanks

Tell us about your mods first

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Avalnch

No suspension mods at this time, stock height and parts. I'll probably get this done over the winter time. For now, I just want to get used to the car's sight lines and "feel".

The mods I have in mind will be simple front & rear bars only. I like the stock ride height and cushy ride too much.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Thanks for the link MisterCamaro69! Good info on that thread. Saved me a tonne of time searching through the forums.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
No suspension mods at this time, stock height and parts. I'll probably get this done over the winter time. For now, I just want to get used to the car's sight lines and "feel".

The mods I have in mind will be simple front & rear bars only. I like the stock ride height and cushy ride too much.

Thanks.
The challenge with the aggressive settings like we have on the zPedders Camaro, is the major differences there are in Geometry changes between OE and say a fully Peddersized Camaro. You will handle much better, but your tires will suffer for sure

mike
dms
Old 07-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Avalnch, this is a copy of our post in that thread that was linked to. This will outline our recommended settings for various uses.

PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Interesting suggestions in the thread. We take a very different approach.

Front
Camber -2 to 2.5
Toe - OUT .25 to 1

Rear
Camber - Half the front value
Toe - Zero

You can get from OE to these numbers without buying anything. You'll find the car turns in much better and the on center steering feel is greatly improved. These numbers will wear tires. My RE-11 180 tread wear tires will get about 14K VERY HARD miles of life using these settings above. You can dial these back and get better tire life using these numbers.

Front
Camber - -1.5
Toe - OUT .10

Rear
Toe - Zero

Again, you will find your on center steering feel improved. Cutting rear camber to half the front will reduce understeer. Your P Zeros will wear well. Not as good as OE specs, maybe 20 to 25% faster, but much of that wear will be due to thoroughly enjoyable aggressive driving.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Interesting suggestions in the thread. We take a very different approach.

Front
Camber -2 to 2.5
Toe - OUT .25 to 1

Rear
Toe - Zero

You can get from OE to these numbers without buying anything. You'll find the car turns in much better and the on center steering feel is greatly improved. These numbers will wear tires. My RE-11 180 tread wear tires will get about 14K VERY HARD miles of life using these settings above. You can dial these back and get better tire life using these numbers.

Front
Camber - -1.5
Toe - OUT .10

Rear
Toe - Zero

Again, you will find your on center steering feel improved. Cutting rear camber to half the front will reduce understeer. Your P Zeros will wear well. Not as good as OE specs, maybe 20 to 25% faster, but much of that wear will be due to thoroughly enjoyable aggressive driving.
Thanks, JusticePete!

These numbers are very similar to my previous Gen3 setup (if my aging memory serves me right). Just gotta tweak the rear and I think I'll be good to go!
Old 07-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
We definitely want to encourage as many people as possible to attend track events with their Camaros!

Hotchkis quick facts:

· With stock and our sport coils we have seen minute ride height variances, with most cars at or under 1/16” and only one with a corner measurement variance of 1/8”

· Even after 1000’s of punishing street and track miles we have not seen our sport coils settle. We design our coil springs to be low stressed and spec high tensile excellent quality steel to eliminate any possibility of material fatigue. Our coils are preset during manufacturing, compressed to coil bind to ensure proper load height, shot peened to relieve material stress and most important, are made in the USA.

· So far we have not found it necessary to grind out any alignment holes to achieve a proper street/track performance alignment.

Alignment specs for the 2010 Camaro SS:

STOCK SPECIFICATIONS-STOCK SPRINGS

FRONT:

· CAMBER: 0° to -1.6°

· CASTER 6.70° - 7.10°

· TOE: 0 TO 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: 0° to -1.0°

· TOE: 0 TO 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

MEASUREMENT MINIMUMS & MAXIMUMS FOR HOTCHKIS SPORT COIL EQUIPPED VEHICLES

These are not our recommended alignment specs. They represent the alignment range possible with our sport coils installed.

Note the increased neg. camber of the lowered car is beneficial to performance handling.

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -0.4° to -2.6°

REAR:

· CAMBER: -0.7° to -1.8°

HOTCHKIS PERFORMANCE STREET SETUP

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -1° to -1.4°

· CASTER 7.00° - 7.50°

· TOE: 1/16” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: -0.8°

· TOE: 1/16” to 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

HOTCHKIS TRACK DAY/STREET SETUP

FRONT:

· CAMBER: -2.0° to - 2.5°

· CASTER 7.00° - 7.50°

· TOE: 0 to 1/16” TOTAL TOE IN

REAR:

· CAMBER: -1.0° to - 1.25°

· TOE: 1/16” to 1/8” TOTAL TOE IN

We determined our recommended alignment settings through street and track testing using the stock Pirelli tires. These settings are a great place to start offering acceptable tire wear and grip in a variety of performance driving conditions. Driving styles, track condition, tire selection, tire pressure and most importantly tire temperatures across the face of the tire are the determining factors of final alignment settings.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
SSchuu

Drives: 06 TBSS
Send a message via AIM to SSchuu
Great info. Thanks guys
SSchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchuu View Post
Great info. Thanks guys
So how did the alignment turn out?

mike
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Bump for member results.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
What does a typical alignment like this cost and will your everyday Firestone or Tires Plus provide a quality alignment? I can't find any performace shops in West Palm Beach FL that do alignments.

I'm shooting for the following with +2" Pedders coilover drop.
Front Camber -1
Front Toe -.05

Rear Camber -.5
Rear Toe -.05

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote