Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
davidmk001

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 1SS
2010 SS L99 Headers Help

Hey everyone. Looking for some help on deciding on a system.

I currently have Solo Axle back exhaust with J pipes (eliminate drone), K&N CAI. I was really leaning towards the Stainless Works. (1 7/8" long tube with the highflow cats).

Anyone have these with the highflow cats? Any drone, how you like them ?

Also, do I need new set of OEM gaskets, arp header studs and a low temp thermostat ?

Guy I spoke to about the SW's said I'd need these extra's and was really trying to push them on me.

Thanks for the help
davidmk001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmk001 View Post

I currently have Solo Axle back exhaust with J pipes (eliminate drone), K&N CAI. I was really leaning towards the Stainless Works. (1 7/8" long tube with the highflow cats).

Also, do I need new set of OEM gaskets, arp header studs and a low temp thermostat ?

Guy I spoke to about the SW's said I'd need these extra's and was really trying to push them on me.

Thanks for the help
I had cats until they melted on me. They do not stand up to the boost superchargers or turbos make. It was a bit louder without the cats but not too much of a difference. I have American Racing headers. You will need new gaskets for the headers but you do not necessarily have to have the ARP studs. They are higher quality but not necessary. You do not have to run 160 thermostat unless you just want to.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
davidmk001

Im not running any boost - no supercharger or turbo. So would you say the hi-flow cats are a good idea, or do you recommend the off-road pipe ?

Also I take then that the low temp thermostat is if I were running a turbo / supercharger ?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Im not running any boost - no supercharger or turbo. So would you say the hi-flow cats are a good idea, or do you recommend the off-road pipe ?

Also I take then that the low temp thermostat is if I were running a turbo / supercharger ?
You will be fine with the cats if you are not running under boost.
There are pros and cons on the 160 degree thermostat. I am sure you can find many threads on it. Some say the LS engines prefer to run a little warmer and some say they have used them for years with no problems. I have one and it works fine. If you are not racing, I would just stick with the factory one.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
45th SS

Drives: 2012 45th anniversary SS
Save your money from buying high flow cats and use it towards something else. Unless you live in a place where police will run emission test if they pull you over. I run borla LT headers to Borla S type catless.
45th SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
catalan

Drives: -
Go for Stainless Power from Stainless Works .. Works perfect for me and great rumble!
catalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
davidmk001

Quote:
Originally Posted by rforbes View Post
You will be fine with the cats if you are not running under boost.
There are pros and cons on the 160 degree thermostat. I am sure you can find many threads on it. Some say the LS engines prefer to run a little warmer and some say they have used them for years with no problems. I have one and it works fine. If you are not racing, I would just stick with the factory one.
Ok thank you for the info. I don't race so I'll just stick with the factory thermostat.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
davidmk001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th SS View Post
Save your money from buying high flow cats and use it towards something else. Unless you live in a place where police will run emission test if they pull you over. I run borla LT headers to Borla S type catless.
I'd prefer the CATs for emissions. I need to ensure I pass or I'm taking the bus to where I need to go. Also want to avoid the smell. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalan View Post
Go for Stainless Power from Stainless Works .. Works perfect for me and great rumble!
I've researched these. They are made overseas and a discount brand (which is fine as they use the same design). The only part that makes me hesitant towards these is that I've read some members on here received them with weld imperfections where they had to grind them down to find them to the manifold.

Are yours holding up good ?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
I suggest going with cats simply for how they effect the sound. Catless exhausts tend to be louder and raspy so keep that in mind.

The cats will hold up just fine. They tend to fail early on boosted application due to the exhaust gas temps, but that can be remedied with a good tune.

We are a Stainless works dealer, but I also suggest maybe looking in to KOOKS headers. We have a promo going that brings the cost right down near the SW headers. Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions or pricing.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10
davidmk001

PM sent, thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
I'd prefer the CATs for emissions. I need to ensure I pass or I'm taking the bus to where I need to go. Also want to avoid the smell. lol

I've researched these. They are made overseas and a discount brand (which is fine as they use the same design). The only part that makes me hesitant towards these is that I've read some members on here received them with weld imperfections where they had to grind them down to find them to the manifold.

Are yours holding up good ?
You are correct on the smell going without cats.

You won't go wrong with Stainless Works. SW, ARH, and Kooks are pretty much the top-shelf standard (there are others....not trying to ignite that debate). They are also made in the U.S.A. (there are others as well), if that is important to you. Their fittment is great and weld quality top-notch.

If looks and quicker heat dissipation is important to you, consider getting them coated.

You do not need another set of header gaskets or bolts. The OEM ones are perfectly fine.

Do NOT use thread locker on the header bolts. Use anti-seize if anything.

Based on your mods, you do not need the low temp T-stat either.

After your header install, I seriously recommend getting a tune. It really wakes up the L99.

Your axle back will cancel the drone. If you detect any after the header install, adjust the J-pipes.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:

Thanks for the help

I have your exact set up, nearly.

SOLO axleback with j pipes, SW 1 7/8" LT headers, HF cats, stock resonator. CAI inc intake.

It sounds great!!!!! I have a range v8 disabler, but when I let it go into 4 cylinder mode, it didnt even sound bad. NO drone, not loud in the cabin unless you go above 2k rpm. So awesome. Do it!

Get HF cats because it helps tone down raspiness. You can get a new set of OEM gaskets, or use the ones on your car. I used mine, but they only had 16k miles on them.

Never heard about needing a thermostat.

Also, the headers install was soo easy.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
GoldBowtie

Drives: 2021 Yukon Denali, 2018 ZL1
What is the detail on SOLO "axleback" with J-pipes. When I checked their site, all I could find is "cat-back" systems.
I have an tuned L99 with Kooks headers/Hi-Flows and no center resonator (x-pipe, instead) and would consider switching from SLP cat-back to Solo --- but I only want to change from the axle back. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
steveo9043

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
here is the link to the axle back

http://solo-performance.com/pe-camar...pipes-auto-std