Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Dmundz

Drives: 2010 Cyber Gray 2SS/RS
Ups hate....

As a Canadian anyone else find they get raped hard with importing stuff from the states. I just got a call from ups saying my ******** box will be deliverd today but I have 50 dollars in brokerage fees....

So my 170 dollar box not including normal shipping charges gets nailed on an extra 50 dollars.

Ugh I find the such money grabbers.

I'm curious other peoples opinions on ups. And wondering why people don't ship more with usps I know personaly I hav never got charged a dime with them ordering stuff from the states and I have that option.
Dmundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
You sped the package up outside of normal UPS delivery timelines. Any time you go next day air, or 2nd day air, and the package has to get through customs faster than normal, an outside delivery vendor is hired to get the package through customs. UPS pays this person, and then you reimberse UPS which is what the brokerage fee is. If you were to have shipped it ground none of the charges would have applied. Customs is a royal pain in the a**.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
drksthr
.dead in ditches.

Drives: 2006 Mustang
I used to have that problem with UPS. Doesn't matter if you take normal shipping or express, there is always a $50+ brokerage charge... the charge is roughly based upon the package value. it's somewhat explained on the UPS page... i've learned that if the value of the item shipped is lowered and marked a gift, you won't get any charges at the door. only thing is, you risk the insurance value not being so much.
example, if you order a $300 item but have the shipper say the value is $125 and your item is damaged during shipping, only $125 will be covered.

or if you are close to the border, have the item shipped to a UPS store and pick it up. they charge $5 per day.