Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Using wax additives when washing your car.

I have my car waxed at a detailing place twice a year. I been wondering if their a additive that can be used in your water that will help between waxes.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Not of one I know of, but are they waxing your vehicle or using a sealant? If wax is use then I recommend Poorboy’s World Quick Wax Plus QD+ or Blackfire Carnauba Spray Wax for maintaining your wax feel and look. In the other hand when it comes to sealants then here are a few I recommend, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray, Meguiars Mirror Glaze #135 Synthetic Spray Detailer or Duragloss Clean & Shine Detail Spray #921.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Detailer told me about this. Have been using it for about two yrs...gets the car clean and leaves a shine that beads...does not strip your protection on the car...I have tried adams and Zanio but prefer this:

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-perls-shampoo.html
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
I have my car waxed at a detailing place twice a year. I been wondering if their a additive that can be used in your water that will help between waxes.
Yes, you have several options. But first it is highly unlikely that the product they are putting on your paint lasts for 6 months unless it is a garage kept, weekend only machine.

1) Use a car soap that features some sort of wax or polymer additive. This will boost existing protection and leave behind (an often short lived) protection of its own. While this is great, particularly if you wash your car often, the effect is not very long term. This is because the protective ingredients are using water as the solvent, so most of the product that adheres to the paint is doing so as you are wiping the surface dry. There is only so much that can be delivered and then adhere to the paint because of the way it is being applied.
BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Conditioning Shampoo uses an extremely high concentration of polymers (specifically the Wet Diamond tri-polymer system). Another soap to look at is 1Z's Einszett Perls Shampoo. You will notice that both of these soaps do not suds as much as regular shampoos because of the high levels of protection they offer.

2) Use a spray wax or spray sealant after every couple of washes. Spray waxes or sealants add considerably more protection to the paint then a car soap can because of their application method. Simply mist on and buff with a microfiber towel. Again, BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond Polymer Spray is a n excellent booster as is Pinnacle XMT 360 Spray Wax. Both are as easy to apply as a quick detail spray and add considerable proteciton.

3) Consider an inbetween application of an easy to use sealant. BLACKFIRE Crystal Seal, Optimum Opti-Seal, and Ultima Paint Guard Plus are the three of the 'new breed' of paint sealants. Simply spray a mist on the panel, spread with a foam application (thinly) and walk away. There is no buff-off needed and the results are amazing. These sealants are called WOWA (wipe on walk away) and it literally takes 11 minutes to do an entire vehicle, adding 2-3 months of stand-alone protection.

In all likelyhood the products mentioned above are higher quality and longer lasting then what the detail shop is currently using (unless you have found one of the good detail shops).
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote