Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-04-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
Madgiggler

Drives: 2SS RS
Aftermarket Nav question

Sorry if there have been threads on this b4 i looked and didn't see any...

I'm interested in ditching the OnStar turn-by-turn and getting an aftermarket nav system, my question is this... "Are there any that interface with our Bluetooth systems to where you can hear the instruction through the cars system?"

i know there are nav units that will link to my phone..but i want the nav unit to link with the car itself, am i asking for something that is beyond the technology?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Madgiggler

bump... im guessing the silence means no?
Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
PoorCollegeKid

Drives: 95 Buick Centry (gross)
I am also curious about this. I do not own a camaro yet, so I'm not sure if my Droid would work, but I would like to know if you find anything out.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
iPhone does it. I was just messing with that today over lunch.

I have Navigon for iPhone, which until now seemed to work pretty good except for a couple incompatibilities. That is, if I try using the USB cable to run from the car to the phone and try to play music in the background, sometimes it works, other times the PDIM gets confused, says it can't find any supported data, and refuses to play any sound from the phone at all.

Option 2 is to charge the iPhone from the power socket and play sound from the aux cable. Problems: annoying feedback having both cables in at once, requiring the car stereo to be turned way down and the phone volume way up, and having two cables coming out of the phone, getting in the way of the console controls and just looking like a mess.

Option 3, same as 2 except you exclude the aux cable. Looks cleaner, but using the phone speakers gives you an understandable but raspy, tinny voice. Your stereo needs to be turned down a good amount, too.

So anyway, today I tried turning on Bluetooth and uing the GPS with just the power socket cable in. Amazingly, it seems to work really well. Music plays just fine, and when it's time for the GPS to say something, the music fades out and in smoothly - and yes, all the audio is coming through the car stereo, not the phone or anything else. You don't get to use the audio controls to skip around (I hear that OS 4.0 will fix that Bluetooth omission. We'll see), but ever since I got my ProClip mount, the phone is now in a place where I can reach it easily and can double-tap the Home button nicely to bring up the phone's basic audio controls, so I load a playlist or album I want to listen to before loading the GPS and off I go.

I was only playing with this for a few minutes in the parking lot, so maybe this will stop behaving like the USB cable option did, but so far so good. I'll test it going home in a couple hours and see what it does then.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Madgiggler

thanks "Lazerbrainz2k3" very informative
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
JohnForeman

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
Im running a pioneer avic unit and the turn by turn audio plays fine over the stereo. I installed the head unit with the metra kit
JohnForeman is offline   Reply With Quote