Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Active Fuel Management and Camaro

Ive been reading about how the new AFM(active fuel management) on the 2007 trucks (Tahoe, Suburban.....) sound bad on aftermarket exhausts when it gets to the v4 from v8 (5.3 L). With that said .....is it looking like the Camaro is going to get AFM on its regular v8? (what i mean by regular is...not the SS v8)

and if so.....is there such a thing as an aftermarket tune that allows these engines to just run on all 8 cylinders at all times?

Thanks!!
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
You'd be careful to use the 'SS' moniker as a descriptor for which car you're talking about - since it seems the population is split 50/50 as to which is which

Second: A very warm welcome to you! Welcome to Camaro5 - damn near (if not the) no. 1 rated Camaro site in the atmosphere and members category You're gonna like it here.

Third. GM is listening. Literally - they're listening to exaust notes for the car. To tune it properly to a wonderful sound. Don't worry about that. And yes, the Camaro is a very likely contender for AFM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
The80sman
NIUK NIUK!!..WOOWOOWOO!!!

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
Well thanks for the Welcome...im glad to finally join..ive been reading this site for a few months now and am very excited about the new Camaro!

As far as the exhaust note goes....im glad to hear that they are fine tuning the sound for the Camaro because Camaro has to sound....like a CAMARO.
As far as the AFM goes....that doesnt bother me as long as it performs well and sounds well.
The80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I do know that that they are considering the 6.0L L76 engine which has AFM as being the V8 in the Camaro, those were the words of the GM guy I was talking to. But as far as the note that you get from it, it can be over ridden by stomping on the gas. If the system is electronically controlled then it will be easy to bypass, if its mechanical it would be a little harder but I'm sure its still possible.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
But as far as the note that you get from it, it can be over ridden by stomping on the gas.
HEck YEaH!!!!!!
mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I do know that that they are considering the 6.0L L76 engine which has AFM as being the V8 in the Camaro, those were the words of the GM guy I was talking to. But as far as the note that you get from it, it can be over ridden by stomping on the gas. If the system is electronically controlled then it will be easy to bypass, if its mechanical it would be a little harder but I'm sure its still possible.
It is controlled by the ECM and I believe that the tuners have already figured out how to keep it from activating.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote