Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Bowtie Junkman

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Custom wheel offset question ...

Hello everyone. I've asked this question a few times to a few different people, and still have not gotten a straight answer. Maybe someone has already been down this road and can help me out ...

I am looking to buy a set of custom wheels for my SS ... the ones I am looking at are 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rear (so I can keep costs down and keep my original tires). These wheels are offered in two different offsets ... +20 and +35. I have also read in a thread somewhere that the factory wheels are 20x8 front with a +35 offset and 20x9 rear with a +40 offset.

My question is which offset to order so I get the right wheels the first time?

My wheel/tire guy has put a set of Lexani's on my buddy's Camaro SS ... they were all offset +20 and they fit fine ... but he says the +35 wheels would tuck more and ultimately look better. Plus (obviously) different style wheels from different manufacturers are designed differently and may or may not clear the brakes and/or bodywork.

So the question is what offsets have you guys used that have worked without any clearance problems? I would really like to go with the +35 offset since I plan on eventually putting a wider tire in the rear ... but don't want to go thru the hassle of sending them back because they don't fit or don't clear. If the +20 works with no hassles, I'll just go with them and deal with the wheel sitting out another 1/2" ...

Thanks in advance ...
Bowtie Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Junkman View Post
Hello everyone. I've asked this question a few times to a few different people, and still have not gotten a straight answer. Maybe someone has already been down this road and can help me out ...

I am looking to buy a set of custom wheels for my SS ... the ones I am looking at are 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rear (so I can keep costs down and keep my original tires). These wheels are offered in two different offsets ... +20 and +35. I have also read in a thread somewhere that the factory wheels are 20x8 front with a +35 offset and 20x9 rear with a +40 offset.

My question is which offset to order so I get the right wheels the first time?

My wheel/tire guy has put a set of Lexani's on my buddy's Camaro SS ... they were all offset +20 and they fit fine ... but he says the +35 wheels would tuck more and ultimately look better. Plus (obviously) different style wheels from different manufacturers are designed differently and may or may not clear the brakes and/or bodywork.

So the question is what offsets have you guys used that have worked without any clearance problems? I would really like to go with the +35 offset since I plan on eventually putting a wider tire in the rear ... but don't want to go thru the hassle of sending them back because they don't fit or don't clear. If the +20 works with no hassles, I'll just go with them and deal with the wheel sitting out another 1/2" ...

Thanks in advance ...
Was your friend's car dropped? If you plan on lowering it I'd stay with close to factory offset @ 35mm.

..... The reason no one wants to say is because if it's wrong they don't want the blame.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
the best thing you can do is to PM nine ball, give him the info on the wheels and he will be able to answer your questions.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
Thanks for the referral, but I only share offset info:

1. On wheels I sell.
2. With customers.

Like the guy above said, nobody wants to be wrong
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Bowtie Junkman

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
... just like if someone asked me what trunk the bodies were in ...
Bowtie Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote