Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineStrike View Post
Leverage of the larger brake system also comes into play. My ranger with it's 31x10.5's can't lock up the brakes or engage abs unless it's wet out. If I had larger brakes it would. Just saying, way more involved than just simply saying a smaller set of brakes can lock up the tires so there for it can brake just as fast as a larger set of brakes; given all other variables are equal, such as tires and vehicle. Didn't the Z28 brake like a foot shorter with it's brakes than the 1LE with the same tires? And isn't the z28 heavier? granted the suspension is different so it's not exactly apples to apples.

Larger brakes have a slight advantage in stopping distance, just not a big advantage, but the advantage is there. Especially at slow speeds such as 60 to 0. higher speeds the advantage increases. Anyhow carry on Billy, you still provide very good info
Actually, 1LE stopped in shorter distance than z/28 when shod with Z/28 wheel/tire set, so no, if the brake system is adequate to generate enough stopping force to lock up the tires at will, even stronger brakes (or pads with stronger bite) will not necessarily improve the stopping distance.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
DivineStrike

Drives: 05 Ranger Fx4, VW GTI, CBR600RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Actually, 1LE stopped in shorter distance than z/28 when shod with Z/28 wheel/tire set,

You're right thanks, I had it backwards, some how the z28 stopped shorter than the 1LE by 1ft when both were on Goodyears. Also interesting how the z28 only benefited 3 ft by going with the pirellis, while the 1LE benefited by 7ft.

I think more is going on here in this test than the Pirelli test would initially appear. Like i said before it's not apples to apples.

Also in regards to the brakes discussion does anyone have any links to testing brakes of different sizes but same brake compound with the same car and tires? Street tires would probably be best as they don't require much heating to be useful.
DivineStrike is offline   Reply With Quote