Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #43
Team STILLEN

Drives: Varies
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
LIFETIME WARRANTY AGAINST WARPING? i'd be very interested, i've already warped 1 set of front rotors, getting ready to take it back for a 2nd set of warranty front rotors, i keep warping the front ones, car has just under 5k on it, first pair started to warp at about the 3k mark, second set after 1.5k of aggresive street driving, i can only imagine if i do a track day how bad they will be.
Yes, our Stillen Sport Rotors are warranted against defects including warping and cracking for the life of the rotor (until it wears below the minimum thickness) under normal use...no racing abuse, and yes we can tell Out of curiosity, how are you driving the car that you're warping the rotors so quickly?

FYI, this is 1 reason that we didn't release an AP Racing caliper upgrade that uses the factory rotors. We don't feel that the stock rotors can handle the added stress produced by the larger calipers.

Dan
Team STILLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:57 PM   #44
2Fast4U2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Dan@stillan,

Shoot me a PM when you guys come up with a price.
2Fast4U2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #45
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Racing Brakes are drilled slots.

Do yourself a favor and read up on all types. Weight, driled/slots, metals used, etc, all come into play.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 AM   #46
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
So what is the difference in Slotted VS Drilled VS Slotted/Drilled as far as longevity goes?

Will one last longer than the other?

How will each affect the pads? Will one wear them more than the other?

Thanks!
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #47
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanius View Post
So what is the difference in Slotted VS Drilled VS Slotted/Drilled as far as longevity goes?

Will one last longer than the other?

How will each affect the pads? Will one wear them more than the other?
For rotor longevity, here is the typical hierarchy: plain-faced rotors (no drilling or slots) are best. The next best are slotted, then cross-drilled and slotted, then cross-drilled. This is assuming all variants are quality rotors made from the same castings and thermal post-processing. Comparing one brand or manufacturing process to another will likely lead to different results. Also being assumed are that the pads are identical in each comparison. The more relevant fact here is that pad compound and the rotor's iron composition will have more influence on rotor wear than face pattern. Today's higher carbon, "damped iron" rotors seem to wear a bit faster than others.

For pad longevity, 1) plain-faced, 2) drilled, 3) cross-drilled and slotted, 4) slotted. Same disclaimers apply. Some pad compounds put up with drilling/slotting better than others.

Of course, plain-faced rotors do not have the improved pad bite that cross-drilled or cross-drilled and slotted do. This improved bite usually means slightly more pad wear, but usually worth it.

Drilling saves a little weight (usually less than 1 pound per rotor, depending on the rotor and how aggressive the pattern is), but not enough to make a noticeable difference on the street. The major reason it is done is for cold bite, followed by a more aggressive look. Concerns about premature cracking are normally reserved for track use, poor quality castings or improper drill patterns. There are ways to drill rotors correctly, but only a few sport rotor manufacturers seem to follow best practices.

There are a lot of myths floating around internet forums on this topic. You might want to be sure you are getting your information from a qualified source with many years of experience before making any decisions. One bad experience with cheap-o drilled rotors bought off of eBay does not an expert make, regardless if he/she possesses both a keyboard and free time.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #48
Jeanius

Thanks Chris!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #49
Bentley78
Rice Cooker

Drives: Avalanche Z/71, 2010 Camaro2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan@stillen View Post
The Camaro rotors won't be ready for release until mid January. There are pics of the GT500 rotors in this thread which will be nearly identical in looks.

The rotors themselves are the same weight as stock. The slotting process will reduce the weight by a few ounces, but you won't see any significant weight reduction out of any 1 piece rotor.

We are working on a 2 piece rotor that will be substantially lighter than the 1 piece rotors but that's a few months out still.

Dan
Please let us know when this is ready! I hope they will be drilled/slotted as well, if so consider me sold!!!
Bentley78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #50
Team STILLEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
For rotor longevity, here is the typical hierarchy: plain-faced rotors (no drilling or slots) are best. The next best are slotted, then cross-drilled and slotted, then cross-drilled. This is assuming all variants are quality rotors made from the same castings and thermal post-processing. Comparing one brand or manufacturing process to another will likely lead to different results. Also being assumed are that the pads are identical in each comparison. The more relevant fact here is that pad compound and the rotor's iron composition will have more influence on rotor wear than face pattern. Today's higher carbon, "damped iron" rotors seem to wear a bit faster than others.

For pad longevity, 1) plain-faced, 2) drilled, 3) cross-drilled and slotted, 4) slotted. Same disclaimers apply. Some pad compounds put up with drilling/slotting better than others.

Of course, plain-faced rotors do not have the improved pad bite that cross-drilled or cross-drilled and slotted do. This improved bite usually means slightly more pad wear, but usually worth it.

Drilling saves a little weight (usually less than 1 pound per rotor, depending on the rotor and how aggressive the pattern is), but not enough to make a noticeable difference on the street. The major reason it is done is for cold bite, followed by a more aggressive look. Concerns about premature cracking are normally reserved for track use, poor quality castings or improper drill patterns. There are ways to drill rotors correctly, but only a few sport rotor manufacturers seem to follow best practices.

There are a lot of myths floating around internet forums on this topic. You might want to be sure you are getting your information from a qualified source with many years of experience before making any decisions. One bad experience with cheap-o drilled rotors bought off of eBay does not an expert make, regardless if he/she possesses both a keyboard and free time.

Chris
Chris is 100% correct. In fact, it sounds like he might be an engineer

Dan
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #51
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan@stillen View Post
In fact, it sounds like he might be an engineer
That's "recovering engineer" to you, sir.
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #52
Team STILLEN

I have now seen the rotors with my own eyes. They will be machined and plated over the next 2 weeks. Should be ready to ship by mid January, possibly a bit sooner.

A few sets are already pre-ordered and spoken for. Anyone else want to get on the list for the first shipment? Give me a call!

(866) 278-8287 x128

Dan
Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 AM   #53
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool! can't wait!!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #54
Jeanius

Are they identical to the GT500 ones?
Old 12-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #55
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
Hold out a little while longer - I will have alot of options!
Well, Andy at ADM got covered over with work on his 1000HP project car since he posted here in Oct. but has had some time now to devote to what he was talking about "holding out a little longer". Mine is the donor/mule that will get and verify the ADM brake package. I do not want to steal Andy's thunder but I am excited so I will throw out a little tease. Basically, another brake package upgrade. Much like the future Z-28 if it ever comes to fruition. Anyway, new six piston calipers in front with new larger grooved 2 piece rotors with aluminum hats, new front brake pads, and braided steel brake lines. You could opt to powder coat color to match, or not, your car both front and rear calipers as I am matching my Silver. For now the rear calipers stay factory but will get power coated silver to match fronts. I will have to defer to Andy for the more accurate info. I believe he will have some pics up as early as next month if he decides to pursue this brake package. In life it is always good to have choices and here is another one regarding Camaro brakes.

Last edited by Sack Rat 2SS; 12-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:21 AM   #56
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
That sounds great, but it's something I can't afford. For now, the rotors, brake pads, and SS brake lines is all I can afford. I've seen those packages around $2500 an axle!

Thanks,
Michael J.
Merry Christmas!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote