Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
usmcjlp

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 RJT
Z-28 - I don't get it?

Okay, I've been watching the threads for some time on the Z-28 and never posted. Frankly I don't get the hype. Who really cares?

If you know what you're doing, you can easily build the SS into a much more capable car than the Z-28 is forecast to be. Even if they were to advertise it as 600HP, that would make in the neighborhood of 500 at the wheels. Spend 6K on a SC and a weekend of work, you can easily beat that number. Plus the aftermarket blower will support much more HP in the future. Anything that comes OEM will be conservative. No way around it.

So other than being the first kid on block, I don't see it. To each his own, but just don't assume you're getting a night and day difference between the two. As a comparison look what people are doing with GT500s. The factory blower is the first thing that goes when they want more out of it.
usmcjlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcjlp View Post
Okay, I've been watching the threads for some time on the Z-28 and never posted. Frankly I don't get the hype. Who really cares?

If you know what you're doing, you can easily build the SS into a much more capable car than the Z-28 is forecast to be. Even if they were to advertise it as 600HP, that would make in the neighborhood of 500 at the wheels. Spend 6K on a SC and a weekend of work, you can easily beat that number. Plus the aftermarket blower will support much more HP in the future. Anything that comes OEM will be conservative. No way around it.

So other than being the first kid on block, I don't see it. To each his own, but just don't assume you're getting a night and day difference between the two. As a comparison look what people are doing with GT500s. The factory blower is the first thing that goes when they want more out of it.
The thing is, factory blown cars provide for a 'better' platform for building more power safely that strapping a blower on a base model. LSA has lowered compression and some reinforcement, and the GT500 is completely forged from the factory. Match that in the aftermarket, and you have spent all the money that you saved, and still don't have the pedigree.....
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
and a warranty.....
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
The thing is, factory blown cars provide for a 'better' platform for building more power safely that strapping a blower on a base model. LSA has lowered compression and some reinforcement, and the GT500 is completely forged from the factory. Match that in the aftermarket, and you have spent all the money that you saved, and still don't have the pedigree.....
What he said!!
=bobby
Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #5
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Warranty will be shot once they figure out your racing it, or driving it hard. Alot of dealers play this game now so don't expect that not to slap you in the face. Warranty is just year 2000's sucker lure anymore.

I bought my SS/RS for 34,500 roughly after ttl. they want supposedly 50k for the z28. Modded with after market my sc was 6100 after tax. 40,600 now and teds street pack made for another 2k so 42,600. so im about 7,000 grand less which would probally buy me the rods pistons rings and sleeves no problem if i wanted to really boost the sc for another 70 dollar pulley.
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
I agree with the OP you guys dont even know what its going to be. Part of the muscle car culture which you are all claiming is one of your top reasons behind getting the Z, is SOUPING up the car your self. Again I dont understand either what the big deal is. These people are the same people that have to have the IPAD ont he first day of release.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
jayman

Drives: 09 dodge ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
I agree with the OP you guys dont even know what its going to be. Part of the muscle car culture which you are all claiming is one of your top reasons behind getting the Z, is SOUPING up the car your self. Again I dont understand either what the big deal is. These people are the same people that have to have the IPAD ont he first day of release.
Why cant you soup up a z/28? Everyone is doing it with their ss models so why cant the people who buy a z/28 do the same. And as for the ipad comment, i guess people will always be jealous that they didn't wait if they really wanted a z/28 model. Why do we have to pick on other people that want a camaro, thats what the mustang people are for.
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
nards444

Im not, all im saying is its insane to being crazy over something that we dont even know what it is? Theres going to be a lot of sad people if this thing comes out to just be a re-badge of the SS or something that only has 500hp.

Dont get me wrong it very vell might be cool and fast and maybe I want one. But Im not like a child at christmas wanting to be the first person to open their presents

Last edited by nards444; 08-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:

And don't just assume that there won't be a real night and day difference between the two! All serious car guys mod their cars to some extent regardless of the starting point whether it be an SS, Z/28, or whatever. Out of the thirty or so cars that were in the Chevy High Performance Club I belonged to back in the day, there were maybe six that could run in Pure Stock when we went to the strip, most of us had to run in Stock because we had some mods. Rarely will you find a performance car on the street that is "pure stock", that's just the way car guys and gals are.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
nards444

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
And don't just assume that there won't be a real night and day difference between the two! All serious car guys mod their cars to some extent regardless of the starting point whether it be an SS, Z/28, or whatever. Out of the thirty or so cars that were in the Chevy High Performance Club I belonged to back in the day, there were maybe six that could run in Pure Stock when we went to the strip, most of us had to run in Stock because we had some mods. Rarely will you find a performance car on the street that is "pure stock", that's just the way car guys and gals are.
Clyde
I think your right but the OP as well as me are getting at the fact of who knows? You got a lot people saying they want it and its going to be this and that, of whom probably cant afford it anyways.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #11
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I think your right but the OP as well as me are getting at the fact of who knows? You got a lot people saying they want it and its going to be this and that, of whom probably cant afford it anyways.
Well it is certain that nothing is "written in stone" at this point about what a new Z/28 will consist of, or even if there will be one. At the same time, there have been enough well placed "hints" that it looks like we will get one and it will be an LSA variant.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oSS View Post
Warranty will be shot once they figure out your racing it, or driving it hard. Alot of dealers play this game now so don't expect that not to slap you in the face. Warranty is just year 2000's sucker lure anymore.

I bought my SS/RS for 34,500 roughly after ttl. they want supposedly 50k for the z28. Modded with after market my sc was 6100 after tax. 40,600 now and teds street pack made for another 2k so 42,600. so im about 7,000 grand less which would probally buy me the rods pistons rings and sleeves no problem if i wanted to really boost the sc for another 70 dollar pulley.
Quote:
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Heritage is a big part of the allure for some of us. Any Chevy can be an SS, but only the Camaro gets the Z28 RPO code. Are those three characters worth $50k? Well...that's in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Here's the thing about Christmas presents. It doesn't matter WHEN you open them. The speculation of what it might be if it even arrives is all it takes for some people to voice their dream car or "wish list" or what have you. It's the anticipation leading up to it, not the actual finding out that makes it so intriguing. GM is teasing us now, and usually they don't tease unless they DO plan on doing something about it. So I have faith they will. As to what, we'll ALL just have to wait and see.

Remember what was said about the rumored return of the Camaro BEFORE the concept was released? My goodness there was the same type of "what's it going to be" and "when will it be announced" discussions then. And now we're past all that because the Camaro is finally here.

Speculation keeps people interested. Let them talk!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote