Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 376LS3 View Post
Warranties are for people that dont know how to work on cars. If you can do your own work, F the warranty. If you cant fix something when it breaks, Id keep the warranty.
I've been a mechanic for 10 years with national guard. When I don't go on teaches for my department of the army job I'm a technician with my field maintenance shop
Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Paying for a warranty and voiding it on a new vehicle is a double hit financially. 1st you buy a new vehicle and it instantly depreciates and 2nd you could have saved several thousands of dollars buying used.

That chunk of money could do some serious improvements.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Yup, ^^this, EXCEPT...

...contrary to popular belief, the powertrain warranty is not automatically voided with a tune. HOWEVER...if the repair is expensive, the dealer must screenshot the ECM info and send it in to GM for approval, prior to repairs being done. If you are tuned, this step will get the claim denied.

I happily voided mine @ 4800 miles.
I believe GM requires that copy of the ECM be sent for ANY powertrain warranty, not just expensive ones.

Essentially you have to assume a recalibration has voided your powertrain warranty.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
the_fast_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Paying for a warranty and voiding it on a new vehicle is a double hit financially. 1st you buy a new vehicle and it instantly depreciates and 2nd you could have saved several thousands of dollars buying used.

That chunk of money could do some serious improvements.
I saved a few thousand by having 0% interest

Plus I like the fact of knowing what has been done to the car and how well it has been taken car of. No hidden issues the owner is trying to push off. That peice of mind is worth the depreciation to me. I also plan on keeping for a long time so I am not worried about depreciation etc that is for people upside down or people not planning on keeping it for a while.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
family man

Drives: .
My powertrain warranty is now void at 1423 miles with my latest round of mods.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
Warranty?

I believe mine is gone at 317 miles.

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. Forgeline 20" w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Good thread... I have 3800 miles and am "maikng my list".
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Things were plain different in your dad's day. You could throw some parts on the car and get up under the hood with a screw driver and "tune" the car by adjusting the carburetor. I don't know how warranties worked back then, but if something broke you could take a car like that back to stock and return it to the dealer.

Not ruining the car, honestly just be aware that if you do toast your engine you'll have to find a way to pay for it. When I mod my car the way I want to, hopefully hopefully this winter, I'll also have a way to dig up the money to order a crate LSA should I blow up my motor. It's kind of like my own insurance/warranty plan before I kill this thing.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #23
the_fast_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Things were plain different in your dad's day. You could throw some parts on the car and get up under the hood with a screw driver and "tune" the car by adjusting the carburetor. I don't know how warranties worked back then, but if something broke you could take a car like that back to stock and return it to the dealer.

Not ruining the car, honestly just be aware that if you do toast your engine you'll have to find a way to pay for it. When I mod my car the way I want to, hopefully hopefully this winter, I'll also have a way to dig up the money to order a crate LSA should I blow up my motor. It's kind of like my own insurance/warranty plan before I kill this thing.

I wont have to dig to hard just dip into savings to build a forged block the way I want it. Probably just do LS3 again and salvage what I could from this motor and transfer it. It is not a DD, I have a truck I drive all the time so if the car had to sit for a bit while a motor is being built it would not be the end of the world.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #24
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fast_one View Post
I wont have to dig to hard just dip into savings to build a forged block the way I want it. Probably just do LS3 again and salvage what I could from this motor and transfer it. It is not a DD, I have a truck I drive all the time so if the car had to sit for a bit while a motor is being built it would not be the end of the world.
sounds like a plan
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #25
the_fast_one

Not that I want my motor to blow or anything. I am hoping it stays just fine for many many many miles to come even with the future mods
Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
The tune that long tube headers require will void it though.
Only if you can not live with the service engine light being on and give up a few ponies. I can tolerate it for a little while and then find a tune friendly dealer(Rodgers Chevrolet maybe) to tune and cover that part of the warranty. Just a thought especially if you think you might trade or sell it in the future. I've driven a few header equipped Camaro's without tunes and they performed great.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
the_fast_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
Only if you can not live with the service engine light being on and give up a few ponies. I can tolerate it for a little while and then find a tune friendly dealer(Rodgers Chevrolet maybe) to tune and cover that part of the warranty. Just a thought especially if you think you might trade or sell it in the future. I've driven a few header equipped Camaro's without tunes and they performed great.
Yeah you can get away with that for a bit but its better with a tune unless you just want to make noise and have CEL on all the time.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznts View Post
F the warranty!! If something breaks, just replace it with something better.
My motto has always been "If you have to replace, UPGRADE"

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote