Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #2941
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
My personal opinion and what the law says are two different things. So yes, some semi-automatic handguns can be considered "assault weapons" by the letter of the law.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but the fact that we don't agree with the law doesn't change the fact that the law is what sets the definition. And because the law is set differently in each state is why people disagree so much on what "it" actually is.

No, one weapon does not "assault" more than another, but we'd be silly to think a certain kind of weapon isn't better at doing the assaulting than another, and that the AR-15 was designed for something like hunting. It's a stripped down M16. The original platform was designed for military use, and we have a civilian version. That's why the law defines the weapon in the way that it does.

Again... I get what you're saying, but (unfortunately) the law is the law.

I'm a gun enthusiast. Love them. Think we well-balanced and law abiding people have every right in the world to own one (and could argue that we SHOULD).

That's arbitrary though. There are many weapons used in our military yet why do we demonize the AR15? Yes people do hunt with an AR15. You can hunt with any rifle you so choose. I respect your opinion but I refuse to let uniformed politicians dictate the truth of the matter to influence my own judgement. At the end of the day we are all on the same boat and I'm grateful for that at least.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #2942
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
This is frustrating.

All these retards are buying up all the 308, 223, and 9MM in the stores and online like the hand of BO is gonna sweep in and take everything away forever. Goodness. I can't even go to the range because I'm not going to shoot through my supply without being able to restock it. I can't even find 22LR locally right now.

Between Christmas, CT, and the Government, I'm getting aggravated as all hell.

Should have stocked up well before though. BO already said that he wants to reinstate the AW ban a month ago. I'm just glad that I did.

I was in Nevada today and Cabelas is still fully stocked with every caliber. However, you're going to pay a premium. They wanted almost $40 for a box of primers....no thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #2943
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
What part of Nevada, if southern look up brass man brass. Was 23 and some change for small pistol last month
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #2944
Nessal

I was in the Tahoe area. I'll just order it online since it's cheaper than most stores around here even with haz mat factored in. Just thought I could pick them up for cheap since I was in the area. I got some small rifles for $20 a box when they were on sale once. I won't expect that price for a long time. Thanks though!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #2945
Rapid Runner

Drives: 2012 Audi TT-RS
Can't believe some lunatic with a rifle started this ban crap again

Let me tell you.. I rather have an asshole with a gun shooting everywhere than him shoving a pound a dynamite in cans of sprite.. Least I have a chance lol

Sent from BigNorm's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Rapid Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #2946
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If you want to clarify definition of an assault weapon, why don't you look at the definition of assault.

Assault is an action, not a thing.

I have a knife on my keychain with a 1" blade... if I attacked someone with it, it's an assault weapon.

If I attack someone with rocks, I'm using an assault weapon.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2947
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
If you want to clarify definition of an assault weapon, why don't you look at the definition of assault.

Assault is an action, not a thing.

I have a knife on my keychain with a 1" blade... if I attacked someone with it, it's an assault weapon.

If I attack someone with rocks, I'm using an assault weapon.
I agree. But even we, as gun owners, can't pretend like there isn't a pretty big difference with that style of rifle over something like a handgun or a beginner's hunting rifle... or knife or rocks. They all can kill someone, but if they were all equal, why would we care if we couldn't have them? We'd still have handguns, shotguns, bolt-actions...

I'm not anti-gun... but to play devil's advocate, I think it's foolish for us to pretend they are just like any other gun. They're not. This rifle gets a bad rep because it, in its original form, was not DESIGNED for anything other than combat. It just wasn't. Do we use it for other things? Of course. Some people use it for hunting (I've never met a person that did), they compete, they shoot as a hobby, they collect... the majority of them will never be used, even by accident, on another person.

We have a civilian version of a weapon that was designed to be used on other people. And when a whack job uses it for that purpose, that's how it gets blown up into the drama that it is right now. My personal feeling is that if we, as owners, don't at least acknowledge the difference between this kind of weapon and dad's hunting rifle, we look like just as big of idiots that say it doesn't have any practical purpose other than the battle field.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #2948
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post

...................... My personal feeling is that if we, as owners, don't at least acknowledge the difference between this kind of weapon and dad's hunting rifle, we look like just as big of idiots that say it doesn't have any practical purpose other than the battle field.
Agreed... and that's where our 2nd amendment rights come in... If I ever need a weapon in a battle situation, (refer to 2nd amendment), I want the higher capacity.

The AR15/AK47 types are very accurate, I would use one as a hunting rifle in a heartbeat.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #2949
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
I'm old fashioned. I learned to shoot on a .30-06, so if I ever go hunting back home, that's what I use. Never had any desire to hunt with the AR. I might go with the longer barrel target rifle for that. Almost bought one the other day too. Unfortunately it had some crazy 900 dollar scope that came with it, and I just don't have the use for that right now.

I want to keep this rifle for the same reason. I just think it's crazy when people pretend like the AR/AK series of rifles aren't quite a bit different.
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #2950
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGreen View Post
This is frustrating.

All these retards are buying up all the 308, 223, and 9MM in the stores and online like the hand of BO is gonna sweep in and take everything away forever. Goodness. I can't even go to the range because I'm not going to shoot through my supply without being able to restock it. I can't even find 22LR locally right now.

Between Christmas, CT, and the Government, I'm getting aggravated as all hell.
I've been hunting for .22LR locally, and I can't find any Federal bulk .22lr anywhere locally. All three Wal-Marts I checked were out, and the couple local gun shops were out as well. They wanted to sell me a $40 box of Winchester Super-X, which isn't bad .22LR ammo, but when I'm trying to just put some rounds down range and teach the wife as well, the $13-15 box of 550 Federals will do the job fine...
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #2951
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
http://m.jalopnik.com/5970989/watch-...milwaukee-club

Assault weapon.
driyac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #2952
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
That Hop-n-Sack in the middle of no place is Pumpkin Center I'm south of there a ways.

Looking like we may not shoot tomorrow, too much last minute stuff going on.
funny that I drive past that twice every day and never knew that
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #2953
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by malave7567 View Post
funny that I drive past that twice every day and never knew that
I think the old store had a post office 100 yrs ago... now it's just another highway intersection. I actually live at Pleasant Valley, but you won't find that on ANY map less than 50 yrs old

We'll get together one day, you can try out a few pistols. Murf's in Duncan is a great little gun shop, stop by and play with their stuff

Merry Christmas folks
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2954
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
I think the old store had a post office 100 yrs ago... now it's just another highway intersection. I actually live at Pleasant Valley, but you won't find that on ANY map less than 50 yrs old

We'll get together one day, you can try out a few pistols. Murf's in Duncan is a great little gun shop, stop by and play with their stuff

Merry Christmas folks
Murfs is a great shop!

Tags
camaro gun