Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Suede Question

OK so I installed a suede ZL1 steering wheel 3 months ago.
This is my daily driver.
I know for a fact when I have worked out (running or playing basketball)
I could have gotten them dirty. With that being said.
What solutions do you guys have to clean something that delicate. I want to know what is good on suede. I go to the AutoZone and Advance AutoParts and Walmart and even Target (I was told that suede cleaner was there) and to no avail. so what can I use it to get my steering wheel like new ??

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Interior cleaner. A very high dilution of APC, or something like that.
Here is what I would use.

Adams total interior cleaner
Meguires d103 or 101
Old 05-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13lstuner View Post
Interior cleaner. A very high dilution of APC, or something like that.
Here is what I would use.

Adams total interior cleaner
Meguires d103 or 101

and where can I get that locally??
Or is that only available online ??

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #4
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
and where can I get that locally??
Or is that only available online ??
Only avaliable online. Anything you get locally you probably wouldn't want on your steering wheel. It will be greasy and slippery.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Its suede (or faux suede) so that actually isn't going to work.

This should be helpful:

TECH TIP - Cleaning Synthetic Suede, Alcantara, Microsuede Interior Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG

"How do I clean the suede material on the interior of my car?"

Todays modern factory interiors feature a wide variety of surfaces and materials. An increasingly popular trend in sports cars and custom interiors is the use of synthetic suedes commonly referred to as alcantara or microsuede. The luxurious feel lends a real upscale appearance and also reduces slip on the seat as you take high speed turns, but the problem lies in its care. When it comes to these materials many people don't know the first thing about how to care for them of what they should do to keep them nice.

WHAT IS 'SYNTHETIC SUEDE'? Synthetic suedes, like alcantara, give the look and feel of real sueded leather, but with lower cost and better durability. These are man made, synthetic fibers, similar in makeup to the microfiber towels you use to care for your paint. Unlike natural sueded leather, these materials are born in a 'laboratory' and not harvested from animals.

REGULAR MAINTENANCE OF SYNTHETIC SUEDE SEAT SURFACES
Prevention, as always, is the best medicine. These materials as they are sat on or handled begin to look matted and tired. Depending on whether your vehicle is a daily driver or more of a toy you will see this happen more or less frequently, it all just depends on how much 'use' it sees.

One of the most simple steps you can take to prevent premature wear and keep the synthetic suede materials looking their best is to brush them regularly with a clean, dry, medium stiff brush. By combing the fibers gently you can prevent them from becoming permanently matted and also remove any dry dust or small debris that may have settled. If you don't have access to a brush, a short knap microfiber towel wadded up in your hand will work as a substitute.

Its also a an excellent idea to use a brush end attachment on your vacuum cleaner if you have one. This way any dirt or dust dislodged will be sucked up and you can brush the materials at the same time.

Its recommended to brush the materials out once a week for most cars, more frequently for cars that see lots of driving.

REGULAR MAINTENANCE OF SYNTHETIC SUEDE STEERING WHEELS/SHIFTERS Alcantara and microsuede look great on steering wheels and also give you a much grippier surface to hold onto, but because your hands sweat and have oils the deterioration of the surface is even worse than the seats. The oils and sweat from your hands will attract additional dust and dirt leading to an ugly matted surface.

Like the seats, regular brushing of the surface will help prevent matting. Be sure to brush these surfaces out as often as they appear to be getting flat and use a vacuum end brush attachment when possible.

To break up surface oils and dirt that don't come off from brushing alone we recommend the use of a short knap microfiber towel lightly dampened with a product like Surf City Garage Dash Away.

Regardless of the clenaer you choose the process is simple.
  1. First brush and/or vacuum the surfaces to remove any loose debris (like dust)
  2. Spray a very small amount of the interior cleaner onto a clean microfiber towel
  3. Gently blot and wipe and the surface. Typically the most serious contamination will be at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock hand positions on the steering wheel
  4. Add additional cleaner as the towel begins to feel dry.
  5. Blot up any excess moisture with a separate clean, dry, microfiber towel.

WHAT ABOUT MORE SERIOUS STAINS AND SPILLS?
No matter how careful you are there are always those times when you have an drink in the car and it sploshes out, or you drop something on the seat that you didn't mean to. While synthetic suedes are typically pretty durable there are some general cleaning rules that should always be obeyed.
  • Treat it as quickly as possible. The longer a spill or stain sits the harder it will be to remove.
  • Before attempting to remove ANY excess spill or substance. Avoid pressing down and forcing it further into the surface, blot lightly with something absorbent like a sponge or towels until most of the excess is removed.
  • For thicker substances, say like a milkshake or smoothie, use a spatula or credit card to scoop the excess off of the surface first so it can't absorb into the fibers.
After the excess spill has been removed see specific treatment info see below:
  • Fruit juice, jelly, syrup, ketchup, mayo, etc: Use lukewarm water, rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
  • Blood, excrement, urine, or protein based stains: Use cold water; avoid warm water because it makes these substances coagulate, rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
  • Alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, coke, black coffee and tea: Use lukewarm water; if the color mark remains, treat it with lemon juice and then rinse it well. (if liquor - what the heck were you driving for?)
  • Pencil, ground in dirt, non-permanent ink: Use lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.
  • Hair gel, coffee with cream/sugar, ice cream, etc: Use lemon juice and then wipe with lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water, rinsing and wringing the towel or sponge often.

IF THE STAIN OR SPILL DRIES BEFORE YOU CAN REMOVE IT[indent=1]Depending on the type of stain start with the recommended treatments above. (water or lemon juice) In the event these do not work use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and follow the instructions below. This is of course the method of last resort, so only use this option if all other options fail.

Rub with alcohol, then with water and rinse. Leave the vehicle in a dry place with the doors or windows open and allow the alcohol to evaporate off. Repeat the alcohol treatment as needed or until there is no longer any improvement in the stains appearance.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You really want to keep it looking new, dude? Put a steering wheel cover on it and then take it off for car shows.

There are two things that ruin leather/vinyl/and suede over time. One, the oils, dirt, and dead skin cells from your hands and body will begin to cake up after awhile or absorb into the surface of the suede and two, the continuous rubbing of your hands, believe it or not, is abrasive. This is why when you look at a computer mouse or a keyboard you've been using for a long time, the spacebar on the keyboard or the left click button on the mouse are usually glossy and smooth because the continuous contact with your finger has essentially "sanded" away the texture. This, combined with the first reason is what gives leather and suede steering wheels that unattractive "shiny" look over time. Regular cleaning and brushing as suggested above will offset the first issue, but there is nothing to fix the second.

For leather, a good option is using something like leatherique which does an amazing job at deep cleaning the leather to get all of the grease, oil, and grime from your hands/body out and has been proven to make a huge difference in the suppleness and appearance of the leather such as bringing back the factory fresh "matte" look. However, with suede you don't have that luxury. Suede is actually harder because since it's a soft material with a micro nap to it, it's not only a lot easier to wear away the material, but also a lot more noticeable when it is worn away because you'll see spots where the nap has been worn away to almost nothing and looks all shiny while there will be other spots that still have a thick nap to them since those spots haven't been touched as much.

No miracle product is going to "restore" or "bring back" the suede nap. The only thing you can do to keep that steering wheel looking new is to touch it as seldom as possible combined with regular brushing.

When I installed my IOM stitched leather steering wheel a year ago, I put on one of those $8 nylon stretch steering wheel covers from Autozone, and I only take the cover off for car shows. When I take it off, the steering wheel underneath still looks brand new.

Last edited by nUcLeArEnVoY; 05-28-2014 at 08:09 AM.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/nubuc...l#.U4XokYFdUuc
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote