Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
LSX Swap?

So the goal this year was to have a twin turbo installed into my 2010 SS and while I had the money sitting in the bank, I ended up spending it into a house I bought earlier this year so now I am looking at some time next year on building out my car, or trading it in for a ZL1 or highly thinking about a GT-R.

However, looking at the LSX prices, I originally had thought there was only 1 LSX motor and it was only a little bit better in numbers and for 10 grand, but I was wrong. There is the LSX376 and LSX454. About 5-6 grand for the 376 and 9-10 for the 454. The performance numbers of the 454, I have no problem paying 10 grand for it. The ZL1 is cool and all, but the bath I would have to take to upgrade to it, I could spend that on my SS and make it better in performance.

So what I am looking to first find out is what is the main differences between the LSX motors and which would be a better swap for me. I like the power numbers from the 454 and I would twin turbo it at some point but not right away. The 376 isn't enough power so I'm not really sure if it is worth it, or at least not right now.

Now that I think about it, what about spending 5 grand on building out my LS3?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
honeybucket99

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM CAMARO BEAST
search lsx454 on the forum. Jannetty put a blower on an LSX454 (not JRE fault) last year and toasted it on the dyno. I don't know why, but the owner believed it was due to production defects. I am not trying to revive that never ending saga, but you should educate yourself before proceeding.

Why not forge and stroke your stock engine? As you can see from my sig that is what I did, and I am very pleased. Now, it could take a crap tomorrow, but my thought is a forged/stroked motor built right and tuned right will yield many miles of ecstatic driving pleasure. If only I could figure out how not to do a 360 spin at any speed in any gear when I don't feather/ease into the gas pedal
2010 CGM 2SS/RS; 418 stroker; JE Forged Pistons (offset wrist pin); Forged Crank; upgraded valvetrain; Custom Comp Cams Cam; Kenne Bell 2.8; ID 1000s; Aeromotive Fuel pump with return; ARH Long Tubes; Spec heavy duty clutch; 3" Magnaflow Cat Back; Nick Williams 102 mm Throttle Body; Tune fixed by Dave Steck; 815 HP and 14 mpg

Upcoming--
Disintegrated drivetrain;
Divorce if/when my wife catches on to
my addiction
honeybucket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
forge and stroke it unless u want to keep you stock motor for a back up. that is where i am on the fence about it i want more hp. But i would like to have 2 motors. Then again i would have to spend more for that extra motor.
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
phenixdragon

Well if I did a swap, I wouldn't keep the motor. I guess my thing is I don't know much about internals and building a motor. It sounds like I could take $5,000 - $10,000, keep my motor and have it built? My concern is getting the power but also being able to increase the quality, such as the LSX. If I spend $10,000 on building my motor I do want at least 600hp/tq but also later on down the road to twin turbo it. What I like about the LSX is that it is bullet proof and can handle a lot.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Don't forget the costs of supporting mods. Probably another $10k+ just to get the power reliably to the ground.

Also remember that the LSX can be built in pretty much any CID you want. 427 is a common target and gives your more strength vs. the 454.

But since your not familiar with planning a motor build, don't shoot for the moon. Start with what you know and learn. First doing heads/cam/bolt-ons on your current motor will give you an idea what to expect, then forge your bottom end and stroke your stock block if you're happy with that.

Basically, long before you reach your goals, you'll already have bought a ZL1 with $thousands to spare.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
SilverSS3108

Drives: 2010 silver SS
It's not bullet proof.. Heavier yes but not bullet proof. You'll have better luck building ur motor you have. There alot of very credible builders on this site who can build what you want for your goals and build it either for boost or NA.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
So the goal this year was to have a twin turbo installed into my 2010 SS and while I had the money sitting in the bank, I ended up spending it into a house I bought earlier this year so now I am looking at some time next year on building out my car, or trading it in for a ZL1 or highly thinking about a GT-R.

However, looking at the LSX prices, I originally had thought there was only 1 LSX motor and it was only a little bit better in numbers and for 10 grand, but I was wrong. There is the LSX376 and LSX454. About 5-6 grand for the 376 and 9-10 for the 454. The performance numbers of the 454, I have no problem paying 10 grand for it. The ZL1 is cool and all, but the bath I would have to take to upgrade to it, I could spend that on my SS and make it better in performance.

So what I am looking to first find out is what is the main differences between the LSX motors and which would be a better swap for me. I like the power numbers from the 454 and I would twin turbo it at some point but not right away. The 376 isn't enough power so I'm not really sure if it is worth it, or at least not right now.

Now that I think about it, what about spending 5 grand on building out my LS3?
How much power do you want? We can rebuild what you have and deliver 540 rwhp and 520 rwtq with a 427 and small to medium sized cam or we can go bigger and make more power. Crate engines are under powered and wont use the same quality of internal component that we will use.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #8
phenixdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
How much power do you want? We can rebuild what you have and deliver 540 rwhp and 520 rwtq with a 427 and small to medium sized cam or we can go bigger and make more power. Crate engines are under powered and wont use the same quality of internal component that we will use.
Well...more the better. I'd be happy with 700-800 at the crank. But if I can get more, then the better. I do want to twin turbo it later down the road, but also have it safe to do so.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
phenixdragon

From reading all the replies, I am getting the impression that the stock LS3 motor could be built pretty well. So could it be said that the stock motor could be built just as strong as either of the LSX motors?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
phenixdragon

Quote:
Reading this again, I think 540 rwhp and 520 rwtq would be great without forced induction and when going twin turbo, I should be able to hit what I am looking to get. I just want to make sure it is safe and not blow it up after driving 10 miles.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
LSX-80MM
Ghostly Unknown

Drives: Silver Ice 2010 SS/RS A6
I like the LSX block of coarse so when I decide to crank the boost up I can,So you really need to think about what your gonna do with the car,And also I wouldn't spend the money on the X block unless your gonna use it to it's full potential with the 6 bolt heads to go with it,And your talking TT in the future,IT WILL HOLD ANYTHING YOU THROW AT IT........IF that's your goal,IF not just forge what you got......
TS416,GMPPLSX-LS3 6 Bolt Heads,Custom 80mmComp Turbo,ID850 Injectors, Lonnies Twin Pump Setup,Level 3 4L80E,DSS,3in Magnaflow Exhaust,CoolingMist Meth,RX Dual Catch Can,InnovateWB,Aeroforce Interceptor,AEM Truboost Controller,matte black CF5 Forgestars.700rwhp/712rwtrq
LSX-80MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
From reading all the replies, I am getting the impression that the stock LS3 motor could be built pretty well. So could it be said that the stock motor could be built just as strong as either of the LSX motors?
No, not at all.
There are huge differences in engines built for FI than n/a.

The stock engine is good for what it is... putting a s/c on it is a risk.
The LSX 376 is built at 9:1 compression.. its the one you use for boost...

You have an iron block or aluminum block.. iron is stronger than aluminum

I would not use either of those crate specials to be 100% honest.

If you want a twin turbo then you have an engine built properly for it.
You have it built to the right compression so you dont have to use a meth kit to be in the boost. Your going to a lot slower until you turbo it but if you want to do it right thats the way it is.

For 800 fwhp you want an engine built using forged internals and coated pistons and bearings and rings. You want the cylinder honed with the proper torque plate and fasteners.. crate engines from GM are not really different that what you already have.. If you want something built properly and to last you get a hold of us
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
phenixdragon

Quote:
No, not at all.
There are huge differences in engines built for FI than n/a.

The stock engine is good for what it is... putting a s/c on it is a risk.
The LSX 376 is built at 9:1 compression.. its the one you use for boost...

You have an iron block or aluminum block.. iron is stronger than aluminum

I would not use either of those crate specials to be 100% honest.

If you want a twin turbo then you have an engine built properly for it.
You have it built to the right compression so you dont have to use a meth kit to be in the boost. Your going to a lot slower until you turbo it but if you want to do it right thats the way it is.

For 800 fwhp you want an engine built using forged internals and coated pistons and bearings and rings. You want the cylinder honed with the proper torque plate and fasteners.. crate engines from GM are not really different that what you already have.. If you want something built properly and to last you get a hold of us
Hm...well I do see that you are only a few hours or so from Seattle so that would make things easier if I were to have you build it and tax free being in Oregon. I'll give you a ring here shortly. I just want to start planning now on what to do. I mean like I said, I am eyeing the ZL1 or a used GT-R (08/09) but I don't think I want to take how much of a lose as I will for either. Going with a ZL1 would be like a $20,000-30K upgrade and the GT-R would be much more.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
CC Performance
Account Suspended

We have a ZL1 upgrade package as well..its in the 21000-30000 range .. suspension and engine installed and tuned