Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
asalomon

Drives: GMC Sierra
Is the V6 really lacking (compared to the V8)

As some of you may know, I'm looking to pick up a used Camaro later on this year. It will be my daily driver (back and forth from school, gym, movies etc), except for the winter where it will be garaged and I'll probably be using the 2000 Protege

Does a V8 really cost that much more to fuel (as opposed to a V6) for somebody who only drives it about forty minutes a day (weekdays) ?

I'd definitely love to pick up a V6 for thousands cheaper if they are at least somewhat comparable..

And that brings me to my next question...
LS vs LT?

How many of you went the LS route and simply upgraded as time went on and money was available?

It would be pretty awesome to get an LS and start with the wheels, maybe HUD, ZL1 bumper/hood etc

What do you guys say?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
If you can swing the V8 the first time around, i would do it.
As for fueling them, its about $10 difference every fill up, and some v6s have been known to use as much fuel as some v8s, like mine lol

I love my car, with a VR intake and SOLO exhaust, I feel like its got more then enough power.
The main reason I chose the v6 over the V8 was because of insuance, about a $200 month difference not including gas, which would cost about $100 a week for me and I cant swing that as a student.

They are both great packages, you have to choose which one fits you best. f you want power, Id go for the SS, if you want a well balanced car, the v6 is a great option.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
TJ91

I should add that I went with a 2LT/RS. I was torn between 1SS or 2LT/RS.
Realized that I really wanted a loaded car, and it would be cheaper for me to run the V6 so I went with the 2LT/RS and absolutely love it.
Personally, the ammenities you get with a 2LT or 2SS is definitly worth it.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 01-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
B1G-AL

Drives: 09 Bullitt, 08 H3 Alpha, Ram SS/T
What TJ91 said, the SS for performance a V6 for a well balanced car...the V6 is very capable especially if you have no racing plans in your future...just around town with a 6 speed manual it's an absolute blast! (coming from a guy who's owned dozens of V8 sports cars, and even a V12)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1G-AL View Post
What TJ91 said, the SS for performance a V6 for a well balanced car...the V6 is very capable especially if you have no racing plans in your future...just around town with a 6 speed manual it's an absolute blast! (coming from a guy who's owned dozens of V8 sports cars, and even a V12)
And thats proving something!
The M6V6 is a blast to drive around! When I want real speed, I just take out the VTR1000 for a blast
Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
i love my v6, no one expects it to be as quick as it is with all the mods i have in it.
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #7
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarzabek009 View Post
i love my v6, no one expects it to be as quick as it is with all the mods i have in it.
Hey, do you have any 60 times with the gears in?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
asalomon

Drives: GMC Sierra
V6 it is. I won't have to worry about premium gas and what not, which is always good. Save at the pump, save a bit on insurance. TJ91, I'm also from Toronto. One of the reasons I was looking at getting the 1LT as oppose to the 2LT (actually the only reason, aside from price of course) is the leather. I'm not hearing good things about it. How are you liking it in current Toronto temperatures? Is it holding up? People have said that the Camaro's leather quality is a bit lacking..

Also, what is causing your V6 to use as much fuel as a V8?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 AM   #9
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
It is beyond me on why they did not include the HUD and the back up camera in the 1SS. A matter a fact.. Those two options should be included on even the 1LT (maybe the LS?)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #10
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalomon View Post
V6 it is. I won't have to worry about premium gas and what not, which is always good. Save at the pump, save a bit on insurance. TJ91, I'm also from Toronto. One of the reasons I was looking at getting the 1LT as oppose to the 2LT (actually the only reason, aside from price of course) is the leather. I'm not hearing good things about it. How are you liking it in current Toronto temperatures? Is it holding up? People have said that the Camaro's leather quality is a bit lacking..

Also, what is causing your V6 to use as much fuel as a V8?
Didnt even realize your from Toronto!!
Alright so realistic numbers, my car goes through about $80 a week just to go to York University from Brampton. Adding in my unnneccessary driving, I was paying about $100 a week but loving every minute of it
As for why it takes soo much gas, im not entirely sure. Everyone in the Canada section from day one knew about my displeasure with the gas consumption of my particular v6. Believe it or not it was averaging the same MPG as our v8 guys.
Think I just got a pig of a v6 from factory as other guys have gotten some great MPG on their v6s. Also think it has to do with the break in that I did (let me know if you want more info on this)
Highway, this thing sips gas, does equally as well as our 4cylinder Fusion. City is a joke, you wouldnt believe my numbers. Also noticed that driving the car hard, I actually got better MPG somehow
The leather is holding up pretty well to be honest!
Apart from me being a skinnier guy, the driver side seat is stretched but having the IO interior is worth it lol
The power of the v6 is more then enough in our city, it picks up speed quick! And I recomend getting the Vararam intake for it because it made a world of a difference on my car!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
gjarzabek009

Drives: 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Hey, do you have any 60 times with the gears in?
Nah, I never been at the track but being on this forum for a while now makes me want to go!
-VMAX Ported TB
-Maces 25mm Insulator
-Ported Intake manifolds (soon)
Old 01-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #12
TJ91

To fill up the camaro with our gas prices in Toronto, it would be about $85
If you drive alot of highway, you can make it last, lots of city driving, not soo much, but im pretty sure the V8 will be even worse!
Old 01-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #13
TJ91

What colour are you going for? Love IOM but way too many people have it over here now
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjarzabek009 View Post
Nah, I never been at the track but being on this forum for a while now makes me want to go!
lol this forum has a tendency of that

Have you ever checked your 0-60 times with a dashhawk? Im surious as to how the gears will help.
I know it makes a HUGE difference in the v6 stangs

Closed Thread