Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Exhaust questions

Exhaust questions
Questions, Questions, Questions.................... Okay, here goes.......

#1. LTH are not legal in Ca. but what about Shortys?

#2. Are HP gains from shortys worth the cost?

#3. What cam would you recommend? How would this affect warranty?

#4. Would it be worthwhile to replace stock converter with High flow ones while maintaining stock headers? Yes, these are not Ca. legal as well but a lot easier and cheaper to replace out if needed five years down the road to pass smog.

#5. Does it make sense to Magnacharge vehicle if only other mods are CAI, resonator replaced with 11" Tru-X magnaflow muffler, comp series axle back, Stock headers and convertor?

#6. Does Magnacharger and tune void Vehicle Manufacturer Warranty?

Looking to make at least 400 RWHP and TQ. Current set up is 2SS/RS L-99 A6 with Superchips tune and AFM disabled. This Dynoed 322 RWHP and 335 TQ. A/F was 12.1.

On order is the Tru-X muffler to replace resonator and comp series axle back along with CAI Inc. intake.

Any and all advice appreciated

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

Last edited by firengnred; 12-27-2009 at 06:09 PM.
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
1. Some shortys may be carb approved, depends on what you look at.

2. They are not as big of gains, but if that is all you can use to pass emissions, hell yes they are worth it. I have some very happy customers with DT shortys.

3. Depends on the goals of the build. I would avoid a cam for you because you are not looking for huge power, and it WILL void the warranty.

4. I would not bother unless you are doing the headers, as well as some type of cat-back....and yes a cat-back will maintain a warranty and emissions.

5. Yes a supercharger will still work great. The numbers you see advertised for those kits are with all stock components. and if you want the magna or SLP, or other warranty to be in effect then you have to have a mostly stock vehcile anyway!

6. Yes that will void manufacturer warranty...You can get warranties from the supercharger companies which can cover you.

I hope the info helps. I fyou hav emore questions, send me a PM and I will help you out. I also carry all of this stuff so I can help you with pricing etc...
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Quote:
4. I would not bother unless you are doing the headers, as well as some type of cat-back....
Was considering a cat back but considering all stock piping is already stainless mandrel bent opted for replacing the resonator and doing axle back as cheaper alternative. Basically a cat back but at half the cost.

Thanks for the info.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
If you're gong to get shorties and replace the stock cats with high flow cats, you might as well just get longtubes. You'll see better gains that way. Just keep the stock exhaust manifolds and downpipes and if you need to pass inspection, just have them re-installed.

Technically, according to Federal law you aren't supposed to even touch the stock cats until 50,000 miles or 5 years I think it is.

Oh and the Magnacharger warranty is only good if NO OTHER modifications are done to the car. Install a CAI or headers and poof, warranty is gone. Sounds stupid, but that's the way it is.

IMHO, the only way you will reach 400rwhp with the L99 (other then N2O and a supercharger/turbo) is with full bolt-ons and a cam. Most full bolt-on L99's are making what the LS3's make stock (370ish rwhp). But to do all that (cai, headers, cam, labor, tune etc...) it would cost you about the same as getting the Supercharger. You figure:

~$1200 for cam and supporting parts
$400 for CAI
$1200-$1400 (for longtubes)
$200-300 for your exhaust setup
And then the labor and tuning costs for all that will be roughly $2000-3000 at least (cam is the big culprit here)

Supercharger is roughly $6500, very quick and relatively easy to install and if you just use the magnacharger tune, you don't have to pay to get it tuned.

With the bolt on/cam setup you'd probably be looking at 410rwhp maybe a little more depending on the cam

With just the supercharger you'd probably be in the 450rwhp range. Not sure about that though, because I haven't seen any numbers with just the supercharger and no other mods.

Just some food for thought
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote